I have seen the light...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by NoThisIsPatrick, May 2, 2016.

1. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick Member

I love my Fat Fuzz Factory. Which is why I'm sorry it took so long to stick a carbon-zinc battery in there rather than running it off a power supply. I had read all the testimonials about how these are the right batteries to use in fuzzes, but figured I liked what I was hearing already so I needn't bother. I was so wrong. Ordered a pack of carbon-zinc batteries that arrived today and I'm not even kidding when I say it turned my FFF into the fuzz that dreams are made of. The signature crackle of Mr. Vex's pedal has been replaced by beautiful smooth- yes, smooth- and sustaining fuzzzzz. It's even made the sub-switch more useful. Incredible, but I totally get it now. Anyone serious about fuzz or even just casually into it owes it to themselves to try carbon-zinc batteries, I'll never power that pedal with anything else going forward.

2. Nota

Nota Member

Blind tests, or I call shenanigans :) I think you're hearing with your eyes. No offense to your ears, I've done the same thing many times (daily?).

Perhaps you could use a looper to try both ways (9V and regular power) and post it on here. See if we can tell which is which!

3. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! Did you manage to try various brands of carbon-zinc batteries? They are not the same.

c7sus likes this.
  4. la noise

la noise Member

Totally different pedal on those batteries. No need to
    prove it to those who are skeptical. We know what we
    know. That's enough. :aok

5. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick Member

Haha, for a whopping $10 investment, it's hardly worth needing to convince myself that it sounds better. That, and playing it every single day I have a pretty solid impression of how the pedal sounds under different conditions. I do like the idea of an A/B though, so I will definitely do that soon, it'll be a good use of my new RC-3.

On a sidenote, I'm hearing radio frequencies through the pedal for the first time since I've owned it. Pretty cool to experience that firsthand.

6. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick Member

Used these guys: www[dot]amazon[dot]com/Carbon-Zinc-Heavy-Duty-Battery-Single-Batteries/dp/B00MEWSMIO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462245094&sr=8-3&keywords=carbon-zinc+battery

(sorry for the non-link)

because a) you can't beat 10/$10 and b) 2 of the 6 reviews say they're great in fuzz pedals.

With the ultra-low draw of Fuzz Factories in particular, 10 should last for a couple centuries at least.

7. seth3

seth3 Member

Super interested in this topic.

Putting an alkaline battery from the dollar store (at least...I think it was alkaline) didn't change my Factory, but I haven't looked any further.

8. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

You WANT to hear radio frequencies?

9. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick Member

No, they're very low in volume, I can't hear them without turning the volume knob way up. It's just one of those things you get with fuzz pedals sometimes, and now I've heard it.

10. Dr.Lee

Dr.Lee Member

Every time I read your posts, I read it (in my head) with Patrick's voice from SBSP. Very entertaining! Glad I am not the only adult who likes that show.

11. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick Member

Haha, nice, never thought about that. I'm 25, so that show came out when I was 9., and I watched it a bit with my younger sister too. I just think he's a great character and the name is a bonus!

Advisable Owl and Dr.Lee like this.
  12. sanfi4u

Naccon Super Heavy Duty? Never had a chance to try them out. You might like to try some of these batteries to be sure you're on spot with Naccons.

NoThisIsPatrick likes this.
  13. Nota

Nota Member

Oh, I have no doubt you're convinced (hence the reason you started the thread)! I'm just saying I'm skeptical, and sort of daring you to prove that it's objectively better :)

happiass and NoThisIsPatrick like this.
  14. sanfi4u

I've found alkaline batteries don't do any good for fuzzes. But they work way better with digital pedals like loopers.

seth3 and NoThisIsPatrick like this.
  15. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I think it would be neat to hear a blind test of different battery types, and both sag and non-sag power adapters.

It would also prove helpful for all those in the future want a solid answer.

16. sanfi4u

It could become a time consuming practice blind testing everything you feel. "Is this love? Shall I go blind testing right away? Or better invite a third party certified expert?" But you are right, sometimes we end up moaning: "Jesus, how could I be so blind doing my last blind test?!" :D

NoThisIsPatrick likes this.
  17. jrockbridge

jrockbridge Member

IIRC in a typical, modern pedal, the power (battery) is isolated from the main part of the circuit, so it has very little discernible influence on the sound (tone). In a fuzz face, or similar pedal, the battery is an integral part of the main circuit. Also, the circuit was designed for a carbon-zinc battery and before alkaline batteries were mainstream to consumers. Alkaline delivers more energy at higher load currents which tends to make a fuzz face, or similar circuit, sound a bit dull. The differences between batteries is audible even if it's subtle in specific instances.

If you want to try something that will make a dramatic difference in the way your fuzz sounds, try a Klon or Klone type pedal after the fuzz. Even a budget pedal like the EHX Soul Food will work. The interaction between a Fuzz Face into a Klon(e) is dramatic...like a fuzz on steroids.

natethegreat12 and T92780 like this.
  18. Nota

Nota Member

Yes, but claims in the audio world are often subjective because our ears are so easily misled. Mine... even yours. People make this claim all the time (batteries in fuzz). I'd like to hear it for myself. Just a couple clips. One with a regular power supply, and one with a battery.

bobbyatomic likes this.
  19. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

I too would like to hear an example of the "difference".

20. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick Member

Man, what have I brought upon myself here? I'll work on getting sound clips up!

natethegreat12 likes this.