I have seen the light

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SkyhighRocks, Sep 7, 2008.

1. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

and it is the Axe-FX.

I've posted this at other boards too but wanted to put it here anyway.

Seriously though, I had my first gig with the axe last night and I'm not kidding when I say, it was or was close to the best live tone I've ever had. I used patches that I tweaked ( and I really still don't know 1/1000th of this thing) I didn't have to really change anything at the club other than add a little volume to my lead patches. My bandmates even complimented my tone. Our drummer went out front for a couple of songs (a drummer friend filled in) and said it was crystal clear. A friend of ours commented between sets that the "Marshall sounds really good tonight"! [​IMG] :LOL:

Now I'm really looking forward to my show tomorrow at an air force base. and even moreso ,I'm looking forward to the QSC arriving on monday. After sunday we have 2-3 weeks off so I'll really be able to sit down and get my settings just where I want them. I used my JVM for power last night and it'll be nice to not have to lug that and a cabinet around (unless we're playing a huge stage).

It's funny too because since I got the Axe, I've actually played more at home and haven't spent the time tweaking it that I thought I would...it's just that easy to get a good sound out of it....even when you don't know what you're doing yet. [​IMG]

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

:AOK

Yup. Had my first band practice with my AF and it changed everything. Quantum leap for me as a player and for the band's total sound. Everyone was blown away with the tone, quality of sound, levels, everything. I think it brought out the best playing I've ever done. Scott was right (for me, for more of us now), it's an evolutionary step. I had set up about 10 patches, half clean/half lead, and ended up only using two. They were sooo good, I just didn't want to stop to try any others.

jon

3. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

I'd have no hesitations recording direct with it, whether it be through flat response speakers or my marshall cab with v30s and 75s.

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Great report! I will have one in the shop having a button fixed. I cannot wait to get it.
    What cab did you run with it?

Thanks,
    Emee

5. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

my marshall with v30s and 75s. Have the QSC coming tomorrow!

6. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

FBT Maxx4a ;)

jon

7. scottpic

scottpic Member

The FBT speakers are GREAT!

I outfitted our small setup with 2 Maxx4a's
    and 3 Maxx2a for monitors.

I also use a Maxx2a for my PRS piezo:p

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

So you guys are running full range? And you are getting kudos on your live tones??

I wonder if I could bring myself to just bring this instead of my half stack...

Emee

9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

See?!?!?!

I'm not crazy after all!

Bwhwhhaahahahaa! :crazy :banana

Well, a little. But I'm not so alone now about the Axe-FX. I've done well over 60+ shows with the Axe-FX; all of them since last October 2007 direct. I've never been more excited yet utterly calm about my gear. I've not cared one bit for 'what's new, what's better, .... blah blah blah' since. And all I concentrate now is on the music. And yes, FRFR for me please. No cabs, no speakers, no power amps outside of PA speakers. And no, I am not really crazy after all whatsoever. I've never had better tone, better feel or better response from anyone that's heard it. From soundguys to other guitarists. It's real deal.

And yes, I'd record direct with it and often do. There are now thousands of direct recorded clips from users from touring pros right down to scrub-a-dub-wannabes-never-was's... like me. :D

10. grayeyes777

grayeyes777 Active Member

you just go direct?

11. solo-act

solo-act Member

Congratulations!!

This is a great post because it talks about some of the greatest things about the axe-fx.

The significance of the axefx in live performance
    The versatility available when you go FRFR
    The beauty of jamming any rig at any setup at any volume
    The fact that good tones can be dialed without needing tons of experience

12. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

What's a QSC and FRFR?

13. Scott Peterson

Pretty much. If I need to supply my own monitoring, I use my little TC Helicon or my bigger QSC HPR122i.

It's a total mind **** as a guitarist; and it takes a tremendous leap of faith to accept it could work, let alone do it. But I've been doing it for a long time now, and honestly - no hype, no BS - I've never been happier. And it's been since June 2007.

14. Scott Peterson

So stop emulating and start creating. The Axe-FX isn't just a copy machine. It's a creation machine. The Axe-FX doesn't just blow away other stuff, it's simply another paradigm. That's not hype.

I've run it through tube power amps and speaker cabs. And I'll tell you without hesitation that I don't miss it or need it and if we put my rig and your rig in the same room, you'd even have to admit it. You don't need to agree, but I've done this enough to know you would. :D

QSC HPR122i; powered PA Speaker. FRFR - Full range flat response aka neutral uncolored timbre speaker system.

15. EndOfSystem

EndOfSystem Senior Member

OK, so if I'm the kind of person who will play it for a year before reading a manual would it be worth it to get the ultra or since I play a simple guitar to amp rig now would the standard fit my needs?

Just looking for good tone to record with at a home computer based studio.

Thanks

<edit>

Tones I'd be looking for right away:

EC tones from: D&D Layla > 461 Ocean blvd & Robert Johnson Trib
    Neil Schon early journey
    Jeff Beck - wierd, blow by blow
    BB King
    SRV
    Loud BF Fender tones with Strat or Tele (Tab Benoit, etc...)
    Tele through a twin
    And many more

I've got the guitars, just need them amps! ;-)

- EOS

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  16. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad

17. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

I think you'd be fine with a standard to get where you want to go.

18. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I don't think so.

I'm using a power amp and cab, but it has limitations. It will always have some of the flavor of the amp and will sound like it's coming from that cab no matter what you do.

With a good FRFR system and the proper IR cab sims you can get it to sound pretty much however you want once you become familiar with how to tweak the parameters. There is a learning curve but many have reported having the "aha" moment and it was all golden from there.

No one way will work for everyone and some may actually prefer the amp and cab to a monitor, but I think a proper FRFR enables one to use the Axe FX to its full potential.

19. scottpic

scottpic Member

How do you think the AX-FX would compare to the new Roland VG99?

20. Miles

Miles Member

Had the same experience with digital amplification. So many choices and when used right, it has everything that you liked in tube amps with modern options. Totally my type of thing. I love experimenting with sounds.

Congrats