I have somebody offering to buy my songs

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by edwarddavis, Jul 18, 2006.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I have somebody offering to buy my songs, seems fishy though. Anybody know of any scams going on with this. Hey I am all for selling my stuff but something seems wrong. Any suggestions PLEASE>
    thanks Ed

2. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

3. edwarddavis

Hi, I got a email out of the blue about song writers needed. It was from Sony in canada. The asked if I could write 160 songs and I said probably not. But I did song them a few songs I wrote and had copy written. Well lucky me the loved one of them. So I offed to let them use it if they liked as long as I got royalties if some maricle happened and it not a scam . Well the said they would send me $1000 for the song and give me a contract that would also give me royalties. They consistently email me and I actually got a email today confirning the check. First of all I cant believe its that easy. Second I am not cashing their check until I knew it was legit. Just wondering whats in it for somebody to go to all the trouble to do this if its a scam which I think it is .
    Heres a email I got what do you guys think. seems linda weird.

Any opinions would be great.
    thansk Ed :horse :horse :horse :horse :drool :RoCkIn :NUTS
    Hello Mr Edward;

Yes,i am very aware of your lyrics and semi-contract,I also know a check is leaving our Canada office to you over some lyrics for some premature artists.

The check will reach you by monday or Tuesday depending on how fast the courier does it.

You have no reasons to feel fraustration.

You are most welcome.

Tim Bowen.
    Cheif Operatind Officer;
    C/O SONY BMG,CANADA

[​IMG]TIM BOWEN
    CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
    SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT

Tim Bowen was named Chief Operating Officer of SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT in March of 2006. SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT is a joint venture comprising the recorded music businesses of Sony Corporation of America and Bertelsmann AG.
    Most recently Mr. Bowen served as Chairman of U.K., Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa for SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT, a post he held since February of 2004. Mr. Bowen joined BMG in 2002 when he was appointed Chief Operating Officer, BMG Europe and carried out a number of international assignments before he was appointed Chairman, BMG U.K. and Ireland in 2003. In the role of Chairman Mr. Bowen oversaw the operations of BMG and Zomba in the U.K. and Ireland and SYCO, the company's television production company with Simon Cowell. Prior to joining BMG, Mr. Bowen worked for Universal Music International as Senior Vice President of Marketing and Business Affairs and following the merger of Polygram and Universal Music he became Executive Vice President of Universal Music International. Mr. Bowen began his career at Sony Music U.K. - then CBS Records - in Business Affairs. Mr. Bowen spent four years in New York as Head of Sony Music Publishing International, and returned to the U.K. in 1986 as Managing Director, Columbia Records.

Copyright © 2006 SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT. All rights reserved.
    "SONY" and "BMG," as used in the name "SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT," and in the SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT logo, are trademarks of, and are used under license from, Sony Corporation and Bertelsmann AG, respectively.
    Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions

4. edwarddavis

I guess this is in the wrong section sorry, Not sure how to move it. If someboby know please so.
    thanks

5. trisonic

trisonic Member

I worked for EMI Music for 25 years. I never knew of EMI's COO (or CEO) writing directly to an unsigned Songwriter - ever.
    Be careful.
    Never sign over ownership of copyrights but you know that.

Best, Pete.

6. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Good point, CEO's are very far up the food chain and you don't talk to them unless it's IMPORTANT.

Anyway, good luck!

7. edwarddavis

thanks, I will see what happens, I am not desparate for monet so I will see what happens. It fun to see how far this will go. I am not quiting my job.

8. edwarddavis

maybe I am a great song writer, UHHHHH probably not!!!:jo

9. edwarddavis

10. Roach

Roach Supporting Member

Ed- "premature artists?", "no reason to feel fustration?", "Mr Edward?", "semi-contract (what person in their right mind would use the term semi-contract--contracts either are or they aren't)...sounds like english is a second language to this guy. Sounds awefully like the kind of language I see in email from "Nigerian Scam" artists.

I do hope for your sake it is indeed true (I'm sure success is well-deserved and would give hope to the rest of us struggling songwriters). Just keep your guard up. Best of luck!

11. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

NEVER sell your publishing rights. Just ask John Fogerty.license them, but don`t sell them. Have a good entertainment lawyer read that contract first.

12. 56_Special

56_Special Member

Naw, he just speaks "Canadian." ;)

13. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

14. edwarddavis

thanks guys I will keep you posted. No chance of me cashing the check.

15. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    If you didn't talk to someone over the phone it's
    an email scam. Transactions like that don't
    happen via email unless you have a current
    working relationship with someone.
    Also consult an entertainment lawyer before
    accepting money or signing anything.

-Mike

16. m4tt

m4tt Member

Bogus. Variation of the Nigerian scam it looks like - they really seem to be targetting musicians lately. I've got emails regarding my gear FS that were of the Nigerian Scam nature.

Just keep asking for more information. A possible meeting, phone conversation, etc. Usually they back off after that because they won't provide it.

17. K-man

K-man Member

What's the scam? Why would some two-bit thieves try to scam someone for their lyrics?

18. gennation

gennation Member

If you're not "signing" anything, there's no contract, and no deal.

You'll probably get another emial stating the money/check got tied up in some issue. And, for $300 you can get it freed up. Then they'll pay you your $1000 and refund the $300, or give you something more for your trouble.

You'll send the $300 and never hear from them again.

It's the oldest email scam in the book.

I get these things from people in different countries who are going to "fly" a band over the the US so I can record their album. Fat chance of that happening.

I know I'd get a message state the up front money is tied up, and if I pay some of it to free it up...I'll get it and my money back....honestly I never make it that far, I junk that email.

It's a scam.

19. sosomething

sosomething Member

This is fake. No doubt, no room for speculation. The CEO of Sony Canada will not be writing unknown songwriters emails in broken english, with mispelled titles and email signatures.

Just delete it and block the guy's address.

20. randy morser

randy morser Member

total scam, bud. if you spend money on the lawyer, you'll just be out money. tell him to go pack sand. COO's can spell and they wouldn't talk to you. Go to the Sony site and contact them to see if you can get a message from this guy through the proper chanels never using the contact info from the email he gave you.