i have too much amp. need less!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rollyfoster, May 23, 2008.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i think my mark IV days are nearing an end. as much as i love having the features it has available to me, i really don't use it like i should (or used to). i only really use rhythm 1 these days and i've got pedals to do the "dirty" work, so i rarely use the lead channels or EQ.

my style has changed, my tastes have changed, etc. i'm playing a lot of R&B and funk stuff now (freddie stone, curtis, jimmy nolan) and if i ever need dirt tones, i'm leaning towards billy g., hendrix, mick taylor, etc... much more raw sounds than my santana/gilmour days.

telecaster is my new weapon.

i'm tempted to go for a fender deluxe or something similar but i'm not sure. definitely something smaller that will work for clubs and smaller venues. there are so many amps out there now i can't even wrap my head around it. i think if i unload the boogie, my budget will be around 1000.

any ideas or suggestions? i haven't bought a new amp in 10 years. i'm skeered! should i sell?

2. Peppy

Peppy Member

Funk? Super Reverb.

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

well if you don't really dig the clean to breakup tones you are getting now you should consider a new amp. But if you like the current tones, just use the pedals you already have.

A Deluxe Reverb are great amps, but headroom could be a concern if you need loud cleans. I like Pro Reverbs and Supers Reverbs if clean headroom is needed. But they can be a bit heavy.

I would go with a Silverface Vintage Fender instead of a reissue. Also check the emporium to see if their are any nice clean amps for a good price.

Good luck

dk

4. rollyfoster

thanks for the advice. i get no breakup tones from the boogie since i can only turn it up to 2.5 before the walls shake (that's on tweed, 6V6 tubes). the cleans are good, but i'm not using the rest of the amp and it's a pain in the ass to carry around.

i really don't mind a dirtyish clean tone, so maybe a deluxe is a good choice. i doubt i'll ever need too much volume from it. anything similar to a deluxe floating around out there?

5. es125luv

es125luv Member

take a look at some Dr. Z. stuff. The Maz JR may fit the bill.

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would check out a reissue Deluxe Reverb and see if that is the sound you are going for.

Then get a handwired one from a boutique builder!

I like older Ampegs as well for cleanish sounds. They are great pedal platforms. Very good value compared to vintage Fenders.

dk

7. Peppy

Peppy Member

Used Carr Rambler then might fit these more specific needs.

8. Matt F

Matt F Member

Alessandro working dog.. Like a Rottweiler or Doberman (40 watt). Great amps. Clean used price under $1000 for a handwired great sounding amp. Light weight. Reverb and built in attenuator. Smokin' deal IMO. YMMV.

A Boxer is the same but 20 watts. They show up from time to time in the emporium.

Carr Rambler is a great choice too. However, it may come in a little over budget even used.

Best of luck on the tone search man :AOK

http://www.alessandro-products.com/working_dog/html/rottweiler.htm

9. angelo

angelo Member

One day I will likely not use my Mark IV like I do now and will find myself in your shoes.

I also have a Lonestar Special. Definitely more raw and less loud. If you think that might fit the bill, check one out.

But, honestly, for what you are describing, I don't think a Deluxe will do as I bet you run out of clean headroom before you want to. The Super Reverb suggestion sounds nuts on what you are talking about. It can stay clean loud enough and loves pedals. Plus, the 4 - 10's sound great and "crisper" than a 1 or 2 - 12" combo.

I wish I would have kept mine. But, I played too loud back then. It breaks up great at high volumes, but then that defeats the whole clean thing, doesn't it? When I reach your place, I will seriously consider a Super Reverb -- hell, I suddenly feel I need on now ...:cool:

10. rollyfoster

it's a sticky place to be in because, although i don't use the damn thing, it's comforting knowing that i've got access to what it does in case i need it.

there's a lot of good advice in here so i guess i'll get to trying some stuff out. the super reverb looks cool but it also looks fraking HUGE. and i'm not really after sparkly cleans but more of a skanky old R&B sound.

my head broke.

11. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

I used to have a Boogie Mk 1 reissue and went to a Fender Deluxe Reverb (reissue, but tweaked). Much better for what you are trying to do. The Fender Bassman can also get you there with a tweedier vibe.

That being said, the Carr Rambler kills...if you can afford one.

12. Franktone

Franktone Member

Check out the Pete Thorn video clip of him playing a Badger 30. This amp can scale down any sound you want without blowing out your ears. It is about $2000 though. Listen to his Telecaster through it.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

I agree on the Badger 30 or the Reeves Custom 30 or Reinhardt 33

Hard to go wrong with any of these.

14. LarryN

LarryN Member

I love my mid 70's Deluxe Reverb. Sometimes a Deluxe can't keep up as it gets louder through the gig, though. A silverface Pro Reverb would be fantastic if you can find one within your budget.
    I also liked the Blues Deluxe Reissue through a different speaker (although some like it after break-in). The gain channel sounded great with the gain dimed, also. I was surprised!

15. rollyfoster

resurrecting this thread with updated info.

i finally got over the sentiment and listed the mark iv for sale, so i'm in it to win it now.

not using a tele now, but a strat.

realized recently that most of my favorite guitar tones are coming from marshalls (hendrix, j beck, gibbons, frusciante, etc.). i need something that can cover a good clean sound but still get gainy enough for singing leads.

i think a 2 channel amp will suffice and my budget's going to be around 1500.

16. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Maybe a budda?

The 18 and 30 watts are phenomenal and the clean breaks very nice, very controlable at any place...

It have somewhat of a Marshall tone and can be very loud.

17. rollyfoster

what about groove tubes soul-o 45? a buddy is getting rid of one. i'm almost tempted to do it because it can't get much simpler than having a clean amp and using pedals for the other sounds.

18. freaksho

freaksho Member

well NOW you're talking about a Shiva. used is in that range for head only. do you have a speaker cabinet? if not, then the many say Mesa Lonestar does very similar to Shiva and is cheaper.

+1 on the Budda Superdrive also. i personally like the brightness & edge of the 45. one downside: i found the shared eq a bit limiting.

19. rollyfoster

hmmm..... both the budda and the shiva look pretty good. i think i'm done with mesa stuff now. it's too complicated for me. i still can't even control my guitar volume knob effectively and i'm too wishy-washy to have that many options on one amp.

re: shiva. i don't have a cabinet, but i suppose i could get one pretty easily.