I hear a lot about RAT pedals lately

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Is the OCD really based on a RAT type circuitry?
    I have heard an old RAT pedal, are they really that amazing?

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I like the rat quite a bit. Is it AMAZING? I would say no: amps are amazing - pedals are ALWAYS a compromise if you are using them to emulate an overdriven amp. That said, I do believe that the Rat is a classic distortion pedal that does its thing as well as any drive pedal out there boutique or otherwise. There's lots of flavors to choose from these days and the Rat doesn't appeal to everyone. But if your in the market for a quality high gain pedal thats true bypass and costs less than half of what some similar boutique jobs go for then you could certainly do worse than the good 'ol Rat.

3. MAZ

MAZ Member

especially if you buy my Keeley modded RAT in the emporium right now! ;)

4. eknapier

eknapier Member

Used by some of my favorite players: BIll frisell, marc ribot, john scofield, thurston moore, among others. I love my Keeley modded Rat, such a huge pallette of colors: from crisp, transparent low gaid OD to over the top, tight focused fuzz tones. But like someone said, it's not for everyone, definately not a tube screamer type pedal. I use mine for jazz, fusion, funk, experimental: pretty much anything I can think of the RAT can do. I use my Analog man TS808/Silver less and less these days.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I can't answer your question about the OCD/RAT relationship, though I have heard that the Fulltone Distortion Pro is similar to the RAT, which is strange since I don't care for the Distortion Pro.

I bought a RAT 2 a few months ago and really enjoy playing through it. There are several different sounds available with the pedal, ranging from slightly overdriven to "chewy" distortion to cutting distortion/fuzz. To make the pedal even more useful I'll run the signal through an EQ pedal to shape the mids/highs a touch. The pedal is useful for both lead and rhythm playing, though I like it EQed differently for each purpose.

I wouldn't describe the pedal as amazing, but I tried out several other higher gain pedals, many of them "boutique," and liked the RAT 2 the best. Not bad for $90. I wish I had discovered it sooner.

Bryan

6. wopr

wopr Member

I had a Keeley modded RatII, which I liked. It was my main distortion pedal.

Good distortion, but a little compressed, and it does cut you tonal range. But, it was head and shoulders above alot of other pedals I had tried. I would recommend the Keeley rat.

Its now replaced by the Langraff, which is far superior, but far more expensive.

steve

7. just ken

just ken Member

+1 for the Keeley Rat. I don't think you can go wrong with this pedal. I had a reissue vintage that I liked, but I like the Keeley Rat much better. They're so reasonably priced, if you get tired of it, just put it in your drawer for awhile. When you rediscover it again, you'll be glad you kept it.

8. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

+1 for Keeley Rat. Great pedal at any price (especially for the price it is at).

9. trinitysun

trinitysun Member

i have both an OCD and a vintage reissue Rat and I can see no similarity between the two. I am a huge fan of the OCD and it pretty much kicked the Rat off of my board.

Aside from that, I think the buzz right now around the Rat is because it's so much better than what most people buy at GC, like a Boss DS-1 or Big Muff and is still fairly inexpensive. It has tons of gain, decent tone controls, and lots of volume gain. I actually prefered it to Keeley's DS-1, but haven't tried a Keeley rat. If you're looking for a straight up distortion pedal it's a good bet.

10. HBob

HBob Member

I haven't had much luck with them. I had a Turbo Rat, a Rat2 and a RI "Vintage" Rat which was later modded into a Keeley Rat. I've found other pedals that work better for me. If the tone control worked better I would probably still have one. ( I like the way the OCD tone control adds or cuts the top end while leaving the low end alone. ) The two pedals are very different though. I don't think they have much in common.

11. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

Had to revive this thread... just bought a Keeley RAT off ebay. This pedal is fantastic. So thick and full sounding, yet not muddy. The three-way switch gives some nice variations, as does the gain control.

SG --> Keeley Nova Wah --> Keeley RAT (phat setting) --> Aiken Invader is distortion heaven!

12. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Yeah, I love my Keeley RAT! I have to say that on it's own, it sounds good. But it really shines in a band mix. Sounds great on some live tracks I've heard of me lately. I don't love it as a rhythm distortion. Like it mainly as a lead tone.

13. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Rat....did I hear somebody say Keeley modded Rat? :dude

I've got a couple of little demo thingies of that pedal for the bored at the top of the page. His mod covers alot of ground.
    The second example is probably a little more over the top distorto-wise than what I'd normally use but still...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=54945

14. tlester

tlester Member

What guitar were you using? Single coils or HB's?

15. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Hi, it was the bridge humbucker(Tyler) on a Tyler Strat but on the first tune I was backed off the volume on the guitar a little for some of it.