I hope Fender replaces the Road Worn

SteveGuitarYT

I know I could get an MJT or American Original, but I’d rather get a genuine Fender Strat or Tele for about $1000.

There’s a few of Fender’s old Road Worns still on some websites, but I’ve always wanted some better color options, like the JMJ bass they still make in blue. And the classic series lacquer were great.

Anyone here happen to work at Fender and want to spill the beans on new Road Worn models or a new line of nitro guitars coming out in 2020? ;-)

noisebloom

I have both the 50s and 60s RWs, so I'm a fan. :dude

I would not be surprised if we have not heard the last of relic'd MIM Strats. Ten-plus years is a good run for that line, so I think they did pretty well with it.

SteveGuitarYT

@noisebloom I agree. I was thinking about that today. 10 years = a ton of sales. Seems odd to just shut that off. Seems more likely they’d repackage it, charge $100 more, change the pickups, and give it a new name.

Let’s hope.

And @monty, it’s funny you mention a fiesta red strat. I’ve got one now that I’ve considered selling. It’s a lacquer 60s that I bought brand new, and I love maple necks, so I put a new Player Series Strat neck on it with the smooth satin finish. Not sure if I want to sell it. But my dream is nitro light blue (daphne, cerulean, etc.)

misterg71

The premier Hack Guitarist
Silver Supporting Member
I always liked the feel of the RW finishes. Would be nice to see Fender offer these finishes without all the phony relicing crap. Kind of like the Gibson VOS line where it looks a bit aged, just not all beat up.

I agree with Cliff. I expect batch production, in the future. I think FMIC sensed their sales numbers were beginning to fall off. They wanted, I think, for the demand to recharge. There's nothing like uncertainty as to future availability, to get people to actual close the deal on a certain model of guitar.

SteveGuitarYT

That would be great.

Cliff: where did you hear that? I’ve seen another thread here or on some other forums about how the Fender rep on the Andertons video (their big Vintera launch video) mentioned there could be limited runs of road worns or lacquer, but I think that could be the only threat of evidence people are hanging onto.

I wish there were something more :)

VJF

I called Fender last summer to confirm that the Road Worn guitars were being be discontinued. In that conversation, the Fender rep told me Fender has plans to introduce a new version of Road Worn guitars in 2020 under the new Vintera series...looking forward to this!

monty

I called Fender last summer to confirm that the Road Worn guitars were being be discontinued. In that conversation, the Fender rep told me Fender has plans to introduce a new version of Road Worn guitars in 2020 under the new Vintera series...looking forward to this!
That is great news! I loved the limited run they did back in 2010(I think) with the Tele Custom and Deluxe. The Custom is one of my favorite guitars.

TTHX

I hope they come out with some different colours. I play my RW 60s strat more than my MJT build. :anon

noisebloom

I always liked the feel of the RW finishes. Would be nice to see Fender offer these finishes without all the phony relicing crap. Kind of like the Gibson VOS line where it looks a bit aged, just not all beat up.
Agreed. I have to admit the fake aging on my RW 50s fretboard is a bit ridiculous and I wish it had been toned down quite a bit. So I tolerate it. Great guitar, nevertheless.

I hope Fender introduces a nitro-finished, non-relic'd MIM as part of their post-RW line. It would be great to see the Classic Player line in nitro. Part of why I like the RWs is the nitro finishes. I'm a big fan of nitro. I have 4 Strats and 3 of them are nitro.

SteveGuitarYT

Well that’s good news above! Thanks for sharing that. I hope that comes to fruition.
I would love the same faded daphne blue as the road worn Justin Meldal Johnson Mustang bass.

I have the RW purple 50s tele and a RW 50s red p-bass. The frets on the tele are not great and are popping out here and there, but I think it’s my favorite neck profile and best feel that I’ve ever played. I wish my American Standard strat neck had the same stripped down roughness.

I don’t think I’ll get another bass any time soon. I would have gone with an American Standard there too but I watched for eight months and never found a maple neck one below $1100. The two Roadworn were $650 a piece and they’re my go to gig guitars. They’ve knocked each other off stands three or four times...

I feel like I get made fun of online any time I share a photo of them, but every actual band mate I’ve played with has only had positive things to say. I could with a little less fretboard relic and the rust is overkill, but overall they really vibe with me.

Mangy71

Platinum Supporting Member
Agreed. I have to admit the fake aging on my RW 50s fretboard is a bit ridiculous and I wish it had been toned down quite a bit. So I tolerate it. Great guitar, nevertheless.

I hope Fender introduces a nitro-finished, non-relic'd MIM as part of their post-RW line. It would be great to see the Classic Player line in nitro. Part of why I like the RWs is the nitro finishes. I'm a big fan of nitro. I have 4 Strats and 3 of them are nitro.
Fender did tone-down the aging on the newer models in this line.

CoachD

I generally liked the whole line. I currently have a 50's Black "Clapton" Strat. I love the neck. Surprisingly, I think the electronics are fine too.

At one point there was a cool 72 style Tele Custom and a Hot Rodded Strat HSS with a black pick guard that I think makes a pretty decent early EVH themed option. I think both of those models had a much lighter "relic" treatment.

noisebloom

Fender did tone-down the aging on the newer models in this line.
They did indeed--my RW 60s is one of these with the toned-down relicing. It's more tasteful than the early ones, although even the RW 60s had its issues--the fretboard and back of the neck were both filthy, and it took a bit of work to get them dialed to my liking.

The RW 50s I bought used for a pretty good deal, and it just is what it is. It's a helluva guitar even with the funky relic work.

Trending Topics