1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

I...I...I'm thinking of leaving my tele......

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by spyeman, Sep 6, 2006.

1. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

I play in a classic rock band. I use two 52 USA RI teles. Lately, we've been playing more cleaner tunes and I have been really struggling with the harshness and sharpness of my sound. I literally have to turn down the bass and mids to zero and the treb to 3 to get a decent clean sound that is not brassy and biting.

Question: I still like single coils, are there other guitars that are slightly mellower or perhaps pickups that are not quite so darn sharp. I wonder also could it be my rig, I use a 2x12 with Celestion V30's, and my head is an ENGL screamer, the guitars are great for higher gain/heavier rock, but the clean is a battle. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks.

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Maybe try something with P-90s and a mahogany body to calm down the highs. Like an LP Jr or Heritage H-137.

3. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Tone knob on the guitar, man.

4. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

BJFE SBEQ or like pedal could really help a lot in your signal chain... Contour the highs down a bit and you'll be fine... Keep playin' that Tele, man!:RoCkIn

5. spyeman

LOL, I know about the tone knob, but on a tele, it's, well, marginally usable, seems like there's not much range between full on and bassy dark......... Regarding the BJFE pedal, that sounds interesting, could you spell out the manufacturer for me? So it's an EQ pedal that you can use to adjust your tone in addition to the amp EQ? Does it color the tone or just refine it? Thanks.

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Assuming you've tried working the tone & volume, there are lots of pickup possibilities. Hotter pickups, like Fralin Blues Specials, tend to have slightly attenuated highs, while other magnet types, eg, alnico 2 or 3, iirc, tend to be a bit mellower. Also, try nickel strings, esp. good ones like Snake Oil. I don't know the amp, so I can't offer any suggestions there.

edit to add:
    Either you're not using the knob right, or you've got a crap pot, because the tone & volume knobs, used carefully, can provide a huge variety of sounds, not just bright or muddy.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The pedal he was referring to is the BJF Sea Blue Equalizer (SBEQ). It is a great suggestion and a great pedal. Made in Sweden by Bjorn ?, who I think also builds Mad Professor Amps. The SBEQ is in short supply, and not cheap, but IMO well worth the price/wait. Musictoyz is one retailer, but they're out right now as well. AC

8. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

You can give me the tele and buy yourself a Gibson.

9. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Treble, mid and bass are all at or around 50% on my amp (Carr Slant 6V). I run the tone on my tele between 30%-50% full, and volume just below (95%) full on. I get a very fat neck position, chimey mid position, bright bridge without the ice-pick. When I want more gain or bite I turn guitar volume and tone up accordingly.

10. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

I damn well hope you had a pre-nup. Or you will seriously regret this.:rotflmao

11. mgrier1

mgrier1 Silver Supporting Member

spyeman,

AaeCee describes the maker and pedal above (Thanks!)

IMO, this one could really help you out. It is a very subtle pedal with three controls (Volume, Treble, Bass). Bjorn is indeed a master pedal maker and this Sea Blue EQ model is no exception. It provides (depending upon volume setting) a very mild and clean boost with some easy to manage tone shaping for your entire signal chain. I recommend running it at the end of your pedalboard to modify whatever signal you are putting into the amp. It's a little hard to describe but it really allows you to make some gentle tweaks to your overall tone that are quite pleasing. You won't lose the sound of your guitar's character, but will be able to reduce some of the treble you find at issue.

They come up every so often on the forum, but you have to be quick as with any BJFE pedal... And yes, they are habit forming... You cannot own just one! :Devil

Good luck,

Mike

12. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

Try a Tele upgrade kit from RS Guitarworks. You should be able to use your tone control to back off the treble without going to mud.

Dan

13. xroads

xroads Member

Upgrade your electronics in the guitar to decent capacitors/pots.
    Maybe the amp is also part of the problem, but I don't have any
    experience with the Screamer. Can you check out a different
    amp just to make sure?
    Clean sounds is the domain where a Tele should shine!

14. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I wouldn't buy a pedal that is most often used as a boost to help out with cleans. I would get the Tele Upgrade Kit and perhaps think about a new set of pickups. Something a little mellower. And, as xroads mentioned, you may not have the right amp for cleans. Perhaps a two amp setup with a Fender amp for cleans. That should definately work better than the SBEQ, although it is a nice pedal.

15. StratTone

StratTone Member

:AOK I agree.

16. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

you can check out....but you can, never leave. I'd also try different pots, pickups and roll back on the tone. I can't think of better cleans than a Tele. They can be bright, but it's nothing that can't be dialed back.
    Having said that....I'd give a LP Deluxe a try with P90's.

17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Why not a Strat?

Fortunately, guitars aren't like wives, you can keep the Tele AND work the Strat in for certain tunes.

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Get rid of the vintage 30's if this doesn't work it's your guitar. V30's are the most grating speaker ever made and probably the single biggest reason your unhappy with your tone. Speaker swaps are much cheaper then buying new guitars.

19. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Don't give up on the Tele yet! First of all mid position might help.
    Second you can slant the pick ups such that it'll amplify the lows more then the highs.

20. spyeman

Thanks for all of the comments, I will explore them all, I've certainly done all I can with the angling of P/U's, the selector (was actually on the neck only last night!) and the tone knob. I have been doing some reading and there seems to be a love/hate with these Celestion Vintage 30's, it may have something to do with it. The rig sounds GREAT for strong rock and leads - could it be that the V30's are just not made for cleans? Anyone recommend a good, all around versatile speaker that could handle the spectrum of clean/easy rock to heavier stuff? Thanks again.