I installed a bigsby on my Danelectro - photo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 6789, Sep 25, 2005.

1. 6789

6789 Member

People said don't do it, But i did it. I put a Bigsby on my Danelectro DC3. The guitar is hollow except for a block of wood under the bridge and around the edges. I took off the pickguard first. the end closed to the neck is held down with dowble sided tape. if you carefully tug at it, it will come up. then carefully slide the pickguard forward toward the neck. there is a bracket near the plug in jack that prevents you from just pulling the pickguard straight out. Then I glued a 1/2 inch thick x 2.25" x 4.25" piece of oak inside the guitar right behind the bridge so the screw would have something string to screw into. There was enough wood at the end of the guitar to screw into.
    The strings run right from the Bigsby and through the bridge! I didn't have to mess with the bridge at all. I did have to cut out a section of the pickguard to make room for the Bigsby. here's a photo. I may have put it on slightly crooked but it works great so far.
    [​IMG]

2. Antero

Antero Member

I was one of the naysayers, but I love it! I should do that to my DC3 (now that you've been the guinea pig ;) ). How's it work/holding up? Is it durable enough for maltreatment? :D

3. 6789

6789 Member

It's only been one day so far. I'll report back in a week to let you know if it's still holding on. I expect it will. the front two screws seemed to go in really tight on the oak. -- the cheaper plywood arounf the edge of the guitar felt softer when I put the rear screws in - and I think they take the bulk of the pressure from the bigsby. those are the ones that I'll keep an eye on. But I think it will be fine. I'm using heavier strings 12 - 52. I'm not sure yet if I will need locking tuners. I'll report back.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  4. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

that looks classy. nice job.

5. 6789

6789 Member

It's been on about one week and it's still holding on. I think it's going to work out perfectly.

6. Antero

Antero Member

7. Antero

Antero Member

Hey, is the tuning stable with the Bigsby, or do the strings bind at all?

8. 6789

6789 Member

It seems to be stable enough so far. I haven't been playing it a lot though - I've been playing another guitar instead lately. the strings fit through the bridge no problem. the only place that might give someone trouble is the nut. it's aluminum or some type of metal. Locking tuners could easily be added and a little graphite could help lube the nut spaces. my strings are 12 - 52.

I don't bend very far - just a bit of old fashioned bending. No dive bomb kind of stuff. I just like bending chords.

9. Antero

Antero Member

That's pretty close to how I'd set it up and use it. Cool. :D I'll put it on my list.

10. 6789

6789 Member

I ws having a bit of trouble with staying in tune. I installed some sperzel locking tuners and seems to have help. when I put new strings on I could hear the nut pinging.. maybe the slots aren't large enough for my strings or maybe it's just the metal nut. but after tuning up and bending the bigsby bar a few time to make the pings go away it seems to stay in tune much better.

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Were there any changes in the tone? Like more sustain etc.?

12. 6789

6789 Member

No changes in tone or sustain that I've noticed. But I installed the bigsby within a couple days after getting the guitar. So I never played it much before the bigsby other than a few times. It still sounds the same to me.:D

13. RomanS

RomanS Member

I know this is an ancient thread - but I'm digging it up again because I'm currently making a baritone our of my Dano 56 Pro reissue, and I want to add a Bigsby to it, too (I love Bigsbys, adn absolutely have to have one on each and every guitar I own...)

So, can you tell us about long-time experiences with that Bigsbyfied Dano? How did the top hold up to the extra pull?

BTW, here's a pic of my project in its current state:

[​IMG]

14. Drumongus

Drumongus Member

my danelectro has the *******st wood bridge.

15. 6789

6789 Member

It seems to be holding up fine. I don't see any issues happening with it.

16. RomanS

RomanS Member

Thanks for the update!

17. Beatles

Beatles Member

Hi, sorry for bringing this old thread up... But... Could you do it without sticking a bit of wood behind the bridge? Or will the guitar break, or what will happend?...

18. welsi12

welsi12 Member

I'm thinking about getting this done to my DC 59, would you recommend it? Will it be alright without the extra wooden block if you screw it into the wood that there now e.g. the bridge block and the wood at the end that is thicker than the rest of the wood around the edge.

19. switchpedal

switchpedal Member

Im also interested in installing a bigsby onto my 59. I looked into and figured I had two options, either install it with a wood block underneath or buy a vibramate (this one to be exact http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-ST.php) and put that on. For the vibramate to work, the current bridge would have to be removed so I guess that is out of the question, unless it is a good idea? So anyone have any recomendations on how to do the installation??

20. Ferrettone

Ferrettone Member

I'm also interested in doing this upgrade. I actually got the idea by browsing an internet store and they were selling a 90's repro DC3 with the Bigsby tailpiece and what looks like a tune-o-matic bridge. Anyone familiar with that config and/or how to pull it off?