I installed new tone caps on my LP, now I get buzz when I take my hands off the guita

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by steved0x, Aug 1, 2008.

1. steved0x

steved0x Member

The buzz goes away if I:

Touch the bridge, strings, back of the tuners, or
    I roll my tone down to zero

Happens in all 3 positions

I seem to remember that I used to have this issue before swapping the pots, but then I had my guitar setup and the problem went away (unsure if this is my imagination or if it really went away.)

What are some tests I can run (I have an analog multilemeter) to tell if I have a bad connection or something somewhere.

I can try and get some pics if that could help to find some clues.

Thanks!!

Steve

2. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

Without pics its tough to say. First I would set my meter to the continuity setting and check to make sure there is continuity between all components. You don't have to open the guitar up to do this. Just touch from the bridge to the nut on each pot, switch, jack and pickup height screws. You will here a beeping sound if there is continuity. If there is, then maybe you have created a ground loop somewhere or the wire from the switch to the jack needs to be shielded. Check this and let me know.

3. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

What kind of caps did you put in (Bipolar? Nominal?) and how are they wired (50's? Modern?) That might answer this.:jo

4. steved0x

steved0x Member

The guitar is a new 2008 Les Paul Standard Faded, so whatever the style of wiring is in there is what I have.

I took some shots, I am looking for a way to host them so I can display them here.

Looking at the wiring diagrams on MyLesPaul.com it looks like I have this wiring scheme:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefreaks/558-wiring-library.html

Modern Style Wiring Typically Stock

One difference is that my pickup selector switch wires do not have any braid over them soldered to the back of the volume ot, it is just a thin wire coming out from the body soldered to the lugs, and then 2 thin black wires and one bigger yellow wire coming from the body soldered to some lug in the middle of a metal plate that the pots are mounted upon.

I removed the 2 ceramic disk caps (.022) and replaced them with a PIO 0.022 for the bridge and .015 for the neck, I wired them up them same as it was before (at least I *think* it is the same as before :) )

Edit: These are the caps - do they have a specific orientation they need to go?
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=419909

I am liking the sound of them by the way..

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  5. steved0x

steved0x Member

I have continuity between the bridge and all the places you mentioned. You mention the shielding of the wiring from the switch to the jack, on my LP these wires are tiny thin wires going from the switch to the pickups and to hot (like 24 guage). The wire to ground is thicker with a yellow color jacket.

Steve