I Just Blew Out One of My H30's - Need Some Speaker Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ken, May 1, 2005.

1. Ken

Ken Member

I just blew out one of my H30's in my Oversized 2x12 Bogner Cab...I had 2 H30's in the cab.

How would a H30 and V30 combo work in that oversized Bogner Cab?

The Music I'm playing is a mix of Classic rock and Dance Pop-Rock, so I need a speaker that will give me a great balanced clean tone and a punchy overdrive too...

I was happy with the H30's for the most part, but since one just blew up maybe I might try another speaker to go along with the H30 that is still there...

I'm running the Shiva EL34 into the Cab.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

2. hipfan

hipfan Member

That mix of speakers would probably sound good. However, if you blew out an H30 when paired with another H30, you're not decreasing your chance of blowing the next one by pairing it with a V30. It will still be a 60 watt cab. The H30 that remains will have just as good of chance of blowing as it did before.

That being said, you might want to try some of the new Eminence models which handle more power than their Celestion equivalents. I think the "Wizard" is their take on the G12H-30. Or, I understand that you can get Scumback SA12's in a new higher power model. The two SA12 regular power models I have sound fantastic and are supposed to be spot-on replicas of vintage H30's.

If you wanted to stray from the H30 sound a little, I might recommend getting a 50 watt Weber Silver Bell to replace the blown speaker. Meatier and fuller in the mids than the H30 (IMO), with less grit and more smoothness. Nice speakers.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

george alessandro designed a new G12H30 for Eric Johnson, and Celestion is going to issue it as the "Eric Johnson" signature speaker at this summer's NAMM.

call george up, and see if he has any of his own homebrews left.

FYI, this is a different speaker from the "pre-rola" G12 he's done in the past.

4. Ken

Ken Member

The 50 watt Weber Silver Bell sounds like it might be an interesting variation to mix in with the remaining G12H30...

I did some reading and it seems that the Ceramic might be the better choice for me to mix in along with the G12H30 I already have in the cab...

Does this make sense?
    Will the Volumes be balanced??

With the 80 watt Shiva, there is really no breakup point, as I go from Clean to Mean at the press of a Footswitch...

I'm still not sure how I blew out the speaker...I was cranking pretty loud the other night, but I've done that before...My ears were ringing afterwards...Maybe that did it... :(

5. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i'm a big fan of my 2x12 with 1 H30 and 1 V30. it gets a really great rock tone. also, weber has 50 watt versions of the blue dog and silver bell. the silver bell looks especially interesting IMO.

6. el34power

el34power Member

No matter what you replace the blown h30 with. nuy leaving the other one in you will sill end up with a 60 watt cab (providing you replace by a 30 watt min). You would need to get a couple of 50's minimum. The emi wizard comes to mind. I have a weber 50 blue and love it but it breaks up fairly easily.

7. Ken

Ken Member

The 50 watt Weber Silver Bell looks like a speaker I may give a go with...

The balance with the H30 seems like a good fit and the 50 watt rating brings me up to 80 watts in the Cab so hopefully that will cover me...

Thanks for the feedback...Much appreicated !!!

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

Nope, it won't. To calculate the power handling of a cab, you take the *lowest* power speaker in there and multiply it by the number of speakers. You will have a 60 watt cab, and that H30 will be just as susceptible to frying as it was before, when paired up with now-dead H30.

That being said, you might be fine. Speakers are not absolutely predictable in their durability. Don't be surprised, however, if the other H30 joins its matey.

9. Ken

Ken Member

Well, if the other one fries, then I will be back here looking for a good match for the Silver Bell... :)

10. el34power

el34power Member

He he. That's what we need here... positive thinkers:D

11. hipfan

hipfan Member

That's the spirit! :D

12. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

If you liked the G12H30's, I would suggest a pair of Eminence Wizards.
    They are similar to the G12H30.
    I just bought one to try paired up with a Governor a 2X12 and love it.