I just bought a Budda Stringmaster head!

renäng

Hi everyone!

I just bought a Budda Stringmaster head without never ever heard one!!

I´m looking for a amp with great clean tones that works well with pedals, and a lead sound that´s fat , sustaining and clean and feels muscular in lack for better words.
I´ve gone through a few amps these couple of years, Diezel herbert, CAA od100, Bad Cat Hot Cat to name a few, while they all where great amps I felt like it was to much of an amp if that makes any sense, and I´ve finally figured out I`m not into high gain amps anymore.

I paid 800$ for it and it´s in 9/10 condition.

What should I expect from this amp, I know it´s always the best to play it first, but it seemed like a good deal with not to much money.

regards, Andreas

fe911

Do a search for previous threads. I just bought one also, and have a few issues with it. There seems to be two different versions of the amp, even though it was made only two years. Mine is an earlier model. The control are easy to set up, once you've figured out how they work. You can download a pdf manual(2-pages only) from budda. This didn't help me, since it is for the later version(I looked high and low for the phat control!!). It is a very loud amp, a lot more than I expected from a 30 watt amp.
Good luck with it, and it really likes single coil pick ups. Great crunch when driven, ringing sustain, very pleasing. Might be a little closer to the hot cat without the drive. But it really is it's own beast. I don't use pedals, so I can't help with that. What speakers do you plan on using with it?

gushtone

Silver Supporting Member
Great price on a very cool amp. I had one for several years. As to great cleans, that is a matter of opinion with these amps. There is a great clean tone, but it depends on how loud you like to play your amp.

Like the Twinmaster (from which the StringMaster was derived) the clean side breaks up fairly early (but that's still pretty loud). But it's a super musical breakup that cleans up amazingly by just backing off on your attack. They also take pedals brilliantly. Even on the higher gain side with the levels cranked these things have a med-high gain tone, not a high gain tone.

Overall they are harmonically rich with content and have an excellent chime factor with a unique-to-Budda distortion quality. ALso very immediate sounding/feeling in spite of teh tube rectifier. Like an AC30 and A Plexi had a kid. A little Jeckyl-and-Hyde but in a cool way.

Enjoy!!!

gushtone

Silver Supporting Member
PS: Avoid the Vintage 30 with these amps. I have made the nmistake of playing Buddas through them for years before I discovered how amazing and warm they sounded going through one G12H30 and one Greenback. They also KILL through a pair of Blues. I'm playing a 30 watt Twinmaster Plus through an Eminence Cannabis Rex right now and it's pretty righteous too. But the V30's make them sound honky, mid-heavy and stiff (to my ears).

Best of luck...

fe911

Thanks, Gushtone,
That actually helps me out a lot. I've got the v30's in the combo right now, and you are not kidding. Honky is the perfect word, and at that sound level, that can be painful. I used the cab switcher to try out different speakers, and eminence wizards really smooth it out, but I like the celestion sound. I've been thinking about the g12h30 v30 combination to try. But I think you might be right about the greenbacks. The blues are my favorite el84 speaker of all time. But at that price and power rating, I'm afraid this amp will tear them a new one. And it would be a shame to waste a pair of those(the money would hurt pretty bad too!!!). I was wondering if you can pull the outer tubes and drop the ohm output to 4, and lower the output? (like you can do with some other amps I have had. Thanks

gushtone

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about the two tube pull thing, you should call Budda. You can usually speak with Jeff Boboer (designer and builder) directly and he is very gracious and helpful.
Also the hot side has an attenuator built in, and it works great! The same attenuator is built into my Twinmaster Plus. And one more thing, those V30's are SUper efficient. They make my 18 watt Twinmaster sound like 50. GOIng to the G12H30/Greenback combo really tames things nicely, but still sounds super.
It will def. be worth fooling with for a while as these amps have some really nice, unique tones.
Best of luck!

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know how I missed this thread. I've had a Stringmaster for a couple of years now, and I'm a huge fan. It's an outstanding amp! Great clean and overdriven tones! I love that it can go from clean to Fendery Bassman/Dumble overdrive to Plexi/Clapton Cream tones. I asked Jeff about pulling two tubes and he was really against that move. I'm running mine through an open-back 1X12 cab with a Celestion G12H-100 and it sounds great with no worries about the speaker handling the power. You should try it through a 4X10 cab if you want to be noticed!
FWIW,
Rick

PS
Great price if that US $$$$

waxnsteel

Does it sound anything like this?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=420709&songID=5117704http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5117704&q=hi

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=420709&songID=5117689http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5117689&q=hi

That's a Dual Stage 30 combo. I never tried it with V30s, but with the Budda speakers, it sounded kinda funky. I could only get a very middy tone with a lot of high end rolled off. That clip was with Eminence Legend 12 like speakers.

I'm not sure how closely the amps are related, but I'd still love to pick up a Stringmaster, myself.

I've heard pulling tubes works with the Superdrives, but that he recommends pulling the inner pair, and going with a rectifier swap. I've never heard about doing it on a Stringmaster or DS 30. If you really want to know, you really should just ask him.

Anybody have stringmaster clips?

braz board

renäng;2105779 said:
Hi everyone!

I just bought a Budda Stringmaster head without never ever heard one!!

I´m looking for a amp with great clean tones that works well with pedals, and a lead sound that´s fat , sustaining and clean and feels muscular in lack for better words.
I´ve gone through a few amps these couple of years, Diezel herbert, CAA od100, Bad Cat Hot Cat to name a few, while they all where great amps I felt like it was to much of an amp if that makes any sense, and I´ve finally figured out I`m not into high gain amps anymore.

I paid 800$ for it and it´s in 9/10 condition.

What should I expect from this amp, I know it´s always the best to play it first, but it seemed like a good deal with not to much money.

regards, Andreas
The amp is biased too hot and will red plate tubes. I had to replace cathode resistor. Keep a fire extinguisher handy since the power transformer runs hot enough to fry eggs on. The amp uses cheap pots with sloppy feel to them. Then there's the bad stuff I will not mention, lol!

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
The amp is biased too hot and will red plate tubes. I had to replace cathode resistor. Keep a fire extinguisher handy since the power transformer runs hot enough to fry eggs on. The amp uses cheap pots with sloppy feel to them. Then there's the bad stuff I will not mention, lol!

I've had my Stringmaster for about two years and have never had any problems, too bad you didn't have a good experience with this amp.

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
waxnsteel said:
.....That's a Dual Stage 30 combo. I never tried it with V30s, but with the Budda speakers, it sounded kinda funky. I could only get a very middy tone with a lot of high end rolled off. That clip was with Eminence Legend 12 like speakers.....
I had a DS30 with a 1210 cab a little while back. I think you and I had a few conversations about these amps a couple years ago. Great amp/cabinet combo - I'd still have them, but I was laid off for an extended period of time and sold them to someone on the board here. Both Phat12s were in the closed back bottom half. Phenomal sound from top to bottom when blowing through the EL84 side of the house with minimal or no attenuation. Define blowing, you say? Volume pegged! I'm assuming your combo is open-backed? Could be part of the problem. This thing was tight, punchy, defined, and dynamic.

waxnsteel said:
.....I'm not sure how closely the amps are related, but I'd still love to pick up a Stringmaster, myself.....
If you play the EL84s through the Normal input, this is the same as the Normal channel of the Stringmaster. If you play them through the Hi Gain input, it's the same as the Hi Gain channel of the SM.

I, too, would love to get one. :drool Guess I'll have to be content with my Twinmaster for the time being.

<Edit: Your clips sounded really good! Thanks for bringing back some toneful memories.>

Sniper-V

Budda stuff rocks and in my opinion a little underated.

I love my Twinmaster and I too got a great deal on mine!

I wouldn't mind picking up a Stringmaster myself.

Swain

PS: Avoid the Vintage 30 with these amps. I have made the nmistake of playing Buddas through them for years before I discovered how amazing and warm they sounded going through one G12H30 and one Greenback. They also KILL through a pair of Blues. I'm playing a 30 watt Twinmaster Plus through an Eminence Cannabis Rex right now and it's pretty righteous too. But the V30's make them sound honky, mid-heavy and stiff (to my ears).

Best of luck...

What serial number is yours? My TMP is #0005. It's a head version, too. I've seen a 410 combo, and a 212 combo TMP. Just curious.

I've been using a 212 W/ Texas Heats. I like this set-up. But, I haven't experimented with many speakers. I may try a couple of Red Fangs, since I already have a pair of them. Aren't the RFs supposed to be similar to Blues?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom