I just bought a quilter toneblock

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Plague Dog, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I just bought a Quilter toneblock 200. I was amazed at how good it sounded, maybe just a tough more homogenous than my tube amps... or maybe it's just that it doesn't have all the buzzing and noise. The other thing was how well it takes pedals. Right now I have a fuzz, a crunchbox and a visual sound Dr Jeckyl/Mr Hyde... through my tube amps they can all sound very similar... but through the toneblock they each have a very distinctive sound... which is why I have all three.
    I plan on revamping my pedalboard to mount the toneblock right on the board and either run 1- 1x12, 1- 2x10, 1-2x12, 1- 4x12 or any combination of those. I use an EV ZLX 12P for a monitor so I can come right off the toneblock into channel 2 of the ZLX, that way I don't even need a cabinet. But I will probably use either the 1x2 or the 2x10 on stage.
    I have a line 6 M9 on my board that I use just for effects... I could probably dial in the overdrives on the M9 and get rid of a few pedals on the board... right now I use the pedals just because they sound better than what I get from the line 6, but I haven't really spent any time trying to dial them in.

2. fakeox

fakeox Member

Is it anywhere near a good as tubes?

3. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Quilter makes great stuff. I have an Aviator and the clean channel is nearly identical to the Tone Block but with Reverb. To me it is very tube-like. I have some nice tube amps and it holds it's own against them. I also agree about the pedals. It takes pedals better than any other platform I've played IMO.
    Sounds great with modelers for that reason too. Just keep the channel relatively flat and take the cab modeling off on the unit going in.

4. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I really like Quilter - I have the Micro Pro 200, it's a nice portable gigging amp. It sounds great and plays nice with pedals . I will probably buy the Tone Bloc 200 as well. Extremely useful little gadget.

5. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I was amazed, very tube like, it even had a kind of pulse thing going that reminds me of old blackface fenders. It was actually very old fender sounding. It has a tone knob, sorta, but is goes from a scooped mid up to a very exagerated mid. What really blew me away is when we plugged a dirt pedal into it. Awesome growl, and the drive knob on the pedal made it react differently as you turned it up.

The best thing I think is how versitile it is. you can put it on your pedal board and either use the internal amp to drive speaker cabs or run out of the XLR on the front to the board and feed it back through your monitors or in ears. or both.

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Well I own a Quilter Aviator 1x12" Combo that I've been gigging for a year now. I just purchased the Tone Block 200 as well, very impressed! Like any good amp you really need to get to know the subtlety's of what it's capable of. As much as I love great sounding tube amps, they are just not as practical compared to what Quilter offers. I will say if you are using your amp's natural distortion mainly than this might not be your solution. But since I use my amps as a clean platform for pedals, it doesn't get any better than this!

7. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I also have an Aviator. I feel like it is cleaner than most tube amps, but not in a weak sounding PA way, it does have its own tone. Reminds me more of a vintage Roland JC 120, with a little more upper harmonic action. However, bandmates thought it was a tube amp.

As jads noted, not the amp for gain, even if you like the gain, it doesn't have a lot. Also not an amp to get half your gain from a pedal and half from the amp, it just has so much headroom.

8. jguss

jguss Member

Just mounted a tone Block on my temple t17 board (PT Jr sized). Zen drive>ethos Clean>duncan vapor trail delay>wet reverb. Best tube tones I've ever heard. Wow.

9. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

Was thinking of an Ethos and Flux Five rig with a Tone Block. Can't decide on Tone Block, MicroPro or Aviator. The small combo is tempting for grab and go.

10. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

They each have their advantages, but if I had to decide on one it would be the Combo first. It has more tonal shaping posibilities and is great for just grab and go.
    As far as too much headroom for any breakup, I guess I'd disagree w/ that assesment. You really need to turn the preamp volume up quite a bit (2-3 O'clock range) and then it will give you a Fender Blackface type of grit. There's a lot of tonal variety just in the preamp volume, just like Mesa Boogie amps.

11. geekocaster

geekocaster Supporting Member

I love my tone block.

12. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

I love my tone block.

13. gdane4

gdane4 Supporting Member

Love the clean platform too.

I liked the combo also (aviator?) but the lights were too much for me.

Here's a pic at practice.

[​IMG]

14. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Funny I'm kind of doing the same type of rig except sub a Gibson ES-339 Studio, Tone Block 200, Egnater 1x12" Rebel cab( loaded w/ a 12" Jensen Tornado Neo) and just moved from a Nano to Pedaltrain Jr. so I could hold more pedals including a Tech 21 Liverpool as a preamp. The cool thing is I can take it all in one trip!

15. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Guest

Can you run a FR preamp into the front, or does it have a preamp tone shaping circuilt already?

16. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Both to answer the ?'s But it has enough pre gain adjustment and get be set fairly flat eq wise to compensate. At least w/ my Tech 21 Liverpool v.1

17. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Yeah I want something that is basically a tubeish power section to put a preamp in front of.

18. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

I'm thinking of running my Zoom G3x into it. That could be a great portable rig.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  19. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Have a G3 programmed as a pedalboard backup. Def been thinking about getting a toneblock.

20. scolfax

scolfax Member

I'm an Aviator fan/player too. Loud, clean, perfect if you love pedals.