I just bought an SCOD! I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themusicboxstudios, Nov 23, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i'm looking to add some overdrive pedals to my board so i just picked up a SCOD i found on ebay. I just found this tone that i absolutely fell in love with and i was wondering if you guys could help me out. The song is by a band named Copeland and the song is called "No One Really Wins", i couldn't find the song posted online, but a song at www.myspace.com/copeland called "pin your wings" is from the same album has very similar tone, except not as a bit less aggressive. please give it a quick listen and let me know what you think. It's very nasty sounding but it very musical at the same time.

basically i was wondering if you think the scod will get me there, or if i need more of a fuzz pedal.

btw, if i don't dig the scod, i'll be selling it for the same price i paid ... 123 + shipping.

thanks, jon

2. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Hey man. It's cool to see Copeland doing well. It's awesome seeing people mention them in places like this. I'm from Orlando, and they're from Lakeland. They're locals to us, we watched them grow, and we've all gotten to meet them (we actually almost recorded at Aaron's studio in Lakeland). Anyway, the last time I saw them he was playing a Top Hat combo with a Les Paul, and as far as I could tell it was just the dirty channel he was using. I'm not sure which model Top Hat it was, but it sounded very much like that (Pin Your Wings, I don't have all of In Motion here right now).

I may actually be able to find out exactly what he used on that track, though I can't guarantee it. I'd say your amp is a huge factor in how you go about getting the tone though. Good luck with the SCOD. It sounds like a cool pedal.

3. themusicboxstudios

thats awsome man. ya, ive actually listened to them for at least 3 years now, i just started listening to the new cd again. I know that when they recorded the album, they did a lot of crazy stuff by like cranking the pre amps and doing direct stuff with just a pedal. I also know that aaron used to use an orange and the other guy had a hot rod deville.

anyways, anybody else have an opinion?

4. themusicboxstudios

and by the way, i'm using the gear in my sig.

5. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

curehardy - That is a good tone... I'd say the SCOD at it's milder gain settings with the contour somewhere from 12 o'clock or further clockwise will get you reasonably close through your /13 FTR37... I wouldn't even think you'd need a pedal if you crank that amp on the click channel.

avenerjimmie - given that you say they use TopHats, I thought the tone sounded like a pushed TopHat Club Deluxe (6V6's just like your FTR37 curehardy) with a good amount of preamp gain... The speakers sound like they might be G12H30's.

So yeah, the SCOD with your rig should work really well for tones like that. It's a great pedal, and it's working with every amp I throw in front of it. I'm actually finding I'm using my amp's at lower volume settings and then using the SCOD to push them harder into overdrive/distortion. It's the first time I can say that I liked what a pedal was doing in conjunction with my amp MORE than what the amp was doing on it's own -- usually pedals were a lower volume compromise for me; not so with the SCOD.

Hope this helps! Good taste in tones/tunes... I liked that song.

6. rorschah

rorschah Member

If you don't want that SCOD, let me get in line to buy it off of you.

I think I was going to bid on the same pedal, and then had a crisis of budgetary sanity at the critical hour. Stupid, stupid sanity.

-thi

7. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

:D "i love it when a plan comes together" ;)

Know what i never asked you, Peach? what are you using for OD..like mild-medium gain stuff?

8. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

A little help to make that plan come together never hurts either! ;) Thanks again for your advice on the SCOD Stoney.

I get a lot of the mild/medium gain stuff from my amp by working the volume controls on my guitars. The Java Boost on full range boost mode works well with this approach to give me some different flavors (more sparkle and spank on the clean tones with the guitar volume knob rolled back, and gets thicker and fuzzier as you roll the volume knob up), and I'm finding the SCOD really works well with the guitar volume knob approach as well, yielding a pretty wide range of gain no matter where the gain knob is set on the pedal. With these two dirt pedals and my Ghia, it's like I've got a huge pallate of clean to dirty tones to chose from... One or the other pedal, both pedals, just the amp, and then throw guitar volume and tone variation into that mix and the possibilities seem almost endless.

Everything seems too easy now ;)

9. Stoney Stomp

Stoney Stomp Member

Stop thanking me! I'm just glad it worked out for you :)

Yeah I definitely get a good mild crunch going with the Maz too but there are times I need more gain out of it..but not SCOD levels. So i've been using an SD-1 for now; which is fine..but nothing special. Though i did just pick up an MIJ Sd-1 the other day and it FAR surpasses the MIT SD-1's.
    I was just curious to know what you were using since we seem to agree on a lot of tones. I miss my Ghia sometimes too.. i love its simplicity and the purity of its tone.

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Man, looks like the SCOD is about to replace the TIM as the flavor of the month. I already own an SCP which I love, maybe I'll look into one of those

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep,

I'm really looking forward to receiving mine any day now. It's funny how the pedal hype gets to you and how there really is a flavour of the month thing going on with pedals.

I'm trying to get my hands on a Timmy too though. ;)

12. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

That may be, but for me it's going to be the flavor of a LONG TIME! My dirt box search is over with this one...

13. themusicboxstudios

thanks for all the help guys, i'm looking forward to trying it out. :)

14. Brick

Brick Member

I have both the SCOD and SCp and I love the SCOD a lot more than the SCP. When I'm down to one or two pedals the SCOd is always there. I got mine in June from Tonefactor and I swear it has made me play longer everyday than before I got it.

I don't know what to say about it being the flavor of the month. I don't think it's true but like GOPP said, mine's here for the long haul.

I've been running a Cot50 before it but a few days ago I won a lovepedal BBB on ebay. The BBB and SCOD will hopefully be glorious :dude

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

the SCOD and SCP are different. I use my SCP as a boost, and I love what it does to my tone. I'm thinking of an SCOD, though I am perfectly happy with my Hot British and TCJ DGTM.

The SCOD is so small though, I could probably squeeze it somewhere on my board

16. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

Having that guy mention that the one guitar player from copeland used a HRDeville, I can't get it out of my head that you could get that kind of tone out of the dirty side of a HRD 4x10 or 4x12...I would say try plugging in a HRD into a greenback loaded cab and I bet you will be pretty darn close. Give it a shot.