I just bought the Lonestar Special tonight and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamminoutloud1, Nov 9, 2005.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

THis this is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!
    First of all, the versatility in this amp is KILLER. Secondly, not only is there versatility, but there are so many GREAT tones to choose from...unlike a Mark IV where there are endless possiblities, but very few GOOD tones.
    I would say at times it can sound like an Vox AC-30 on Acid...Scofield tones there easy...very chimey and mysterious
    It's much better, articulate, soulful, understandable, and clearer than my Fender Deluxe Reverb.
    Also, Robben Ford Tones are simply in here.
    To my ears, I can make the cleans sound very similar or maybe better than his Dumble.
    I haven't messed with the Gain Channel yet, but I'm sure it's good...if not, I have a zendrive to throw on top of it.

I'm playing through a Heritage Prospect guitar too..very versatile guitar...and to everybody saying BUT IT'S A BOOGIE....well, I have been saying for the last few years that I would NEVER buy a boogie...but this thing FAAAAR outdoes every boogie I have ever played...I don't even think it sounds very boogieish most of the time too.

Anyways, I have a gig this Saturday night, so I'll let you guys all know how it sits in with this band mix...

THanks again for all the help guys...I'm so happy I bought this thing.

I was thinking of replacing the speaker as well...not that it's necessary, but I thought it could enhance the amp, which would be scary...I was thinking maybe a Weber Chicago....any advice?
    Anyways, I'm going back to playing...later

2. Deaj

Deaj Member

Congratulations! :)

I played a Lone Star Special 4x10 combo in a local store recently and I came away pretty impressed! Seemed quite versatile and it was easy to dial in a variety of nice tones despite the over abundance of switches and knobs. I don't really care for Mesa amps (and the LS Special isn't really my kind of amp) but I liked what I heard!

Enjoy :dude

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Congrats on the score. Very cool amps! One of my favorite Boogies. :cool:

4. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

Welcome to the club (see my sig). Just wait until you get into channel 2. Lots of great tones there too.

5. brianf

brianf Member

I bought one last week too. The 1 x 12 model. Are you pleased with the headroom on clean???

I did not think it would break up so soon. I have the gain, presence and treble down as they show in the enclosed sample settings. I knew it would never be 4 x EL84 Vox clean but thought there would be a bit more room.

Love it though.

brianf

6. Curly

Curly Member

great amps

I played a 4x10 at the L A Amp show and it sounded great. I didn't have time to figure out all the settings, but suffice to say that there's plenty of versatility for a gig.

to me, it's like a combination of features from several good amps ... the 4x10 setup of a Bassman of Super Reverb, and the special tone of 4 EL 84s - very cool

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Hey Curly wheres Moe?:D

8. Curly

Curly Member

uh ... moe is currently opening for Warren Haynes :)

my site

9. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

10. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Played one in Guitarget a few months ago....GREAT amp.

CONGRATS!!!:BEER

11. p.snail

p.snail Member

Friend of mine bought one a few months ago and he won't shut up about it. He absolutely loves it. I tried it. It really isn't my bag, but a cool amp nonetheless. Congrats and enjoy.

12. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

Hey jammin - what are your impressions of the LSS after your gig? I have been using a LSS for a few months with a Zendrive. Hardly ever go to the second channel. Alf has made a great overdrive. I'm sure you will get the tones you were after with this combination.

13. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

How do the 15 ane 5 watt selections work.

14. brianf

brianf Member

15 watts = 2 EL84 and the rectifier tube and 5 watts is 1 EL84 running single ended class A with rectifier tube.

brianf

15. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Congrats! I can still find alot of good tones in my Mark IV though :confused: :p

16. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I've tried that amp a few times and couldn't get anything really close to RF tones. Decent almost blackface cleans (with verb that's not as nice) and a somewhat flat, boxey overdrive (to my ear). I really wanted to like that amp, but it's just not a Two Rock for half the price.

Good luck with your new amp, I'm glad it works for you.

17. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Congrats! It's the only Boogie that I would own

18. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Well, after the gig last night...I was reeeally happy with the results. It was kind of an akward place to try it out for the first time in a live situation...it was an extremely upscale resteraunt with a marble floor...so I couldn't really crank the amp to its best...I had to keep the amp low, because the room was so responsive.

I found the best sound I could get without people yelling at me every 2 seconds by playing too loud and to keep me digging the tone was at the 30 watts setting with the master turned to like 9 o' clock.

I was playing in a 7 piece band playing a lot of Boogie, Jazz, Fusion, Blues, Funk, Reggae, and Rock music...this amp defintly did have the versatality to handle all of the music.

I put a zendrive in front, next to a Wah...I didn't put it through the FX loop, I ran it all in front...I did feel a bit naked, just cause I wasn't used to playing live with this amp...but its defintly the most lively and articulate amp I have ever played through.

That's about all I can say about it...any questions that you have , just ask...

19. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Glad you like it! I just picked up a Lone Star Classic 1 X 12.