I just cannot get rid of my volume pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by UrbanHymns, May 9, 2016.

1. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

I've been trying for about 2 years to let go of my Ernie Ball volume pedal.

1) It takes up a lot of room, 2) my guitar has a volume knob, 3) the strings break, and 4) it would be nice to move to a smaller board.

But I seem to use it all the time! For thing one, it's modded by JHS with their buffer - the only buffered pedal on my board. Also, it's great for ambient swells, for "muting" my guitar, for coming gracefully into the chorus, etc. Why is this so hard to ditch?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Member

I'll give you 40 bucks for it ;)

3. SurfGreenTele

SurfGreenTele Member

Mark Knopfler never seems to want to ditch his, so why bother?:aok

DakotaRed likes this.
  4. blackba

blackba Member

Sounds like you just need to look for a smaller volume pedal. It seems like everything is coming in mini versions these days.

5. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

There is a really small one attached to your guitar.

6. ZachSelindh

ZachSelindh Member

I recently went to a FV-30 from a VPJr and I'm very happy. It's much smaller and feels more sturdy. It has a different taper, which is taking some getting used to, but it's worth it.

7. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

Excuses, excuses.

See.... The problem isn't that you can't seem to get rid of your volume pedal, or that it would be nice to move to a smaller board. The problem is that your pedalboard isn't large enough to accommodate all the pedals you want. :D

All kidding aside, don't they make mini volume pedals?

JPIndustrie likes this.
  8. soulloud

soulloud Member

I wish our other guitar player would get rid of his. Makes it really hard to get the mix right when the guitar vol is up and down all the time.

9. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I use that one to control gain (via input level to dirt/preamp), I use a VP after drives/fuzz to control overall volume.

10. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

I'll probably never get rid of mine and just throw it away when the string finally breaks. They're $40 all day used. I only use it before my delays as a master volume but I feel naked without it.

11. underwound

underwound Supporting Member

I use the VP JR in the same way, and since adding it to my board haven't had any bandmate complaints of being too loud. Mine also is modded by T1M with an active buffer, which has really helped my tone (all the other pedals on the board are TB). But yeah it sure does eat real estate on a PT JR.

12. Brian Gilmour

Brian Gilmour Member

I had the T1M mod done to my first one and had no complaints with the work done on it but it didn't play well with any of my 3 drives for some reason. Lots of static. Took it out and it was fine. Sold it for a profit and went back to a passive version and just run a Boss in front of it to take care of the tonez.

13. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

I use a big Ernie Ball volume pedal for master volume. Can't do without it. About 15 years ago, before I started using it at gigs, I was constantly having volume problems. Too loud or too soft. There's nothing like trying to play, twiddling a knob on your amp and accidentally turning it up too loud and then hitting a clam on the guitar because you took your eye off the neck.

14. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

you clearly do not need or want to. just use it and dont worry about it.

it kind of sounds like you want to buy a new one, though.

man, that sucks and i would not tolerate that. id ask nicely then set my volume to his maximum setting if he doesnt understand what theyre for- to reduce at times not decide when he wants to overpower the rest of the band.

15. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I've frankly never used one. The volume knob on my Telecaster works fine. Train yourself to do it the old school way.

16. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Seems pretty hard to do volume swells with the volume knob if you're already using your right hand fingers to pick strings and juggling the tremolo bar.
    I can do that if i've got a volume pedal...
    It's a tool and it's a great one. If you like volume pedals, use one.

DaveKS, JackStraw12 and ChampReverb like this.
  17. turnstylepoet

turnstylepoet Member

I feel you and I am in the same boat. I just keep mine off board to save the space on the pedalboard.

18. Eldritch Tentacles

Eldritch Tentacles Member

I have an old full size one with both Input an Output on the right side. It's a tank but I won't get rid of or stop using it for anything. I don't bother putting it on the board and just keep it to the side.
    Knock on wood... But I've never had a string problem with it and it's decades old.

ChampReverb likes this.
  19. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

what strings break? In the volume pedals?

I love volume swells and often thought a volume pedal would be helpful when using my les paul. Love the guitar but trying to reach the volume knob, especially on the bridge pickup and pick at the same time is a very difficult proposition. I can do it easier on the tele it seems than on the strat, I don't know why.

ChampReverb likes this.
  20. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I use my old EB Stereo / Pan Volume pedal between my board and my amp to vary the presence of guitar parts mid-song in a busy band mix, to do volume swells, pseudo-tremolo fadeouts, mute my guitar between songs, sometimes to set relative levels if I'm using two amps, etc.

I use my guitar volume control to clean up, or increase the dirt from, my drive pedals.

The two volume controls are complimentary and mostly serve different functions.

In 19 years or so I have replaced the pot once and changed the string once.

(I've heard that real men only use the amp volume control though so maybe we should all throw away our volume pedals and rip out our guitar volume controls).

-bEn r.

rhoydotp and DaveKS like this.