I just converted from MFX to tube amp/pedals

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by geetarplayer, Feb 7, 2012.

1. geetarplayer

geetarplayer Member

It took me a few years, but I just did it. I realized everything I was doing to my GT-8 was to make it as close to tube amp with real pedals as possible. So I realized how stupid that pursuit was when I could just go get an amp and real pedals. (I was running the Boss GT-8 straight to PA).

So, here is my brand new rig:

VGStrat -> CryBabyWah -> Rocktron360Compressor -> TimmyOD -> TimOD&Boost -> VisualSoundVolumePedal -> TeNovaDelay -> CathedralReverb -> Mesa TA-15 -> 1x15WideBodyOpenBack

I LOVE the sound I'm getting out of this! You know that's true when you can't put your guitar down. And it's inspiring - I'm coming up with new stuff and not just playing the same old tired muscle-memory riffs.

You may think it's not a very versatile rig given that I don't have many drive pedals. But the Mesa has 2 channels with a total of 5 amp types. I typically set up with ch 1 = AC30 Top Boost, and ch 2 = "HI2" which is their Mesa hi gain.

I love what I hear from driving the tubes on this amp, so I just went for the Tim and Timmy to preserve that, but adding them really made me love those tubes more. Tim is always on and I'm on the edge of grit even for "clean". Timmy is medium gain drive for nice crunch. Tim can boost the clean or the crunch so I can use that for leads. And I kick over to ch 2 for hi gain, feeding it any of the above settings for variation in intensity. It's a beautiful thing.

Now I have to slap all this stuff onto a piece of plywood. My first pedal board.

Thanks for all the help I got on this forum. Google landed me here more than anywhere else in my quest for my tone stack.

2. Ken I

Ken I Silver Supporting Member

Welcome aboard!

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hello Geetarplayer,

Welcome to The Gear Page!

5. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Can't beat a real tube amp with analog pedals. It's what all the modelers attempt to sound like...;)

6. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

7. passion4audio

passion4audio Member

Welcome aboard!

By the way, I believe there's a "Self Help" forum somewhere here you can visit when all this turns into an obsession.

:)