I just discovered Albert Lee

ripgtr

I've told this story before but I went to see the Everly Brothers back in the early 80s, right after their Royal Albert reunion and subsequent restart of touring. Had no idea who was in the band, etc... and the guitar player steps up a few times, then takes over the band for Country Boy and good lord I'd never heard anything like it. It was of course Albert Lee and the most amazing part of his playing was he never in the setting of the Everly's over played ... other than Country Boy which was his one step out moment. He is the consummate sideman - always tasty - always serving the song. With enough chops to fill two arenas. Such a humble guy. Love him.
Played a fair that they were on the main stage, we ran over on our break and got to see him do that. Late 80s, early 90s. We were huge Everley fans, and of course Albert Lee fans, so it was a double treat. Only got to stay for a few songs before our next set.
I believe Buddy Emmons was on steel as well, If I remember correctly.
So, triple treat. Wish we could have stayed and seen more of the show.

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
Played a fair that they were on the main stage, we ran over on our break and got to see him do that. Late 80s, early 90s. We were huge Everley fans, and of course Albert Lee fans, so it was a double treat. Only got to stay for a few songs before our next set.
I believe Buddy Emmons was on steel as well, If I remember correctly.
So, triple treat. Wish we could have stayed and seen more of the show.

Yep Buddy Emmons was on steel - he did a version of Linus and Lucy when I saw them a couple times back then! Triple threat indeed. :)

Kurt L

Silver Supporting Member
Albert Lee is awesome. I'm pretty fond of his sig guitar, too...

rmuHndo.jpg

Dbl_D

Platinum Supporting Member
I had a couple of pedal steels: A D10 ShoBud and an MSA S10. I LOVED playing both and not as difficult as it appears. The downside was that you needed a Masters degree in mechanical engineering to deal with the upkeep. I spent more time tweekin than pickin. Buddy was amazing. Paul Franklin was another giant. Franklin was especially great at the Bakersfield sound, where Buddy was more of a thoughtful player.

jimmyj

Agree on all the recommendations especally AL, The Hellecasters, and Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan. Marty and Kenny both play some nice stuff on this cover of a Merle song.

For a little different side of Albert listen to his solos on the live Clapton album "Just One Night".
The best 2 1/2 minutes on this version of "Cocaine" is Alberts' solo starting at 4:30

And again Albert's solo starting at 3:52 on "Farther on Up the Road"

Has anyone mentioned Vince Gill yet? He plays some nice stuff on that '53 Tele.

Ayns

I was lucky enough to see Albert Lee playing at a local club about 10 years ago. When I looked around the audience I recognised maybe a dozen to twenty local guitarists in the crowd. Albert‘s playing was jaw droppingly good, and the guy I went with said “Aye, there’ll be a few guitars going on the fire tonight” :)

bobcs71

Agree on all the recommendations especally AL, The Hellecasters, and Marty Stuart and Kenny Vaughan. Marty and Kenny both play some nice stuff on this cover of a Merle song.

For a little different side of Albert listen to his solos on the live Clapton album "Just One Night".
The best 2 1/2 minutes on this version of "Cocaine" is Alberts' solo starting at 4:30

And again Albert's solo starting at 3:52 on "Farther on Up the Road"

Has anyone mentioned Vince Gill yet? He plays some nice stuff on that '53 Tele.

I played along with "Just One Night" so many times in my teen years. I had no idea who Albert Lee was until years later.

jimmyj

I played along with "Just One Night" so many times in my teen years. I had no idea who Albert Lee was until years later.

I went to an Albert Lee clinic years ago.
I told him that I had made a cassette of just his solos from various albums including this one. He just grinned.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom