I just found the volume and tone knobs on my ASAT Classic

MissoulaGriz

I've had a 2004 G&L ASAT Classic for about 9 years now and just never really got on with it. I always found it so harsh and sterile playing through any and all of my rigs that I put it in its case and never really used it or thought about it. I then watched this interview with Vince Gill where he talks about the "secret tone" of a telecaster bridge pickup coming from rolling back the tone knob about halfway to "sweeten the highs" a little more so they didn't sound so harsh. I thought about that and have to admit, I've been playing guitar for over 35 years, playing live most of that time and never thought about using the tone knob. I mainly play humbucker and P90 equipped guitars and generally run the tone full open and use the volume knob for a little more lead juice when needed.

So, on a whim I decided to break out the ASAT and fired up the '67 Bassman with my closed back 2X12 (running WGS Invader 50's) and a Fulltone Fulldrive II. I ran in the Normal Channel, 1st input with the bright switch up, treble at 6.5 and bass at 3.5. It's bright as hell on the bridge pickup and pretty much unbearable to the ears. However, when I roll that tone know down to 3/4 or 1/2 it's amazing what happens to the overall tone and vibe of the guitar. Gone is the harsh, raspyness that translates to pure ice-pick. Instead you get a lush, thick tone with sweet highs that simply sing. I can't believe I've had this guitar for this long and have not truly appreciated how amazing it is. I was honestly thinking about selling it a few weeks ago but now I know I'll be putting this one in the stable with my Gibsons and it will be getting a ton of live and studio time.

Anyway, I know this is all well known fact here at TGP but man, I just never appreciated or realized what those little knobby things do on these guitars that make them so incredible :)

MissoulaGriz

Thanks iseo. I just read your blog post...great work and so true. The G&L tone and volume controls are so dang interactive. I just can't believe it's taken me this long to realize and appreciate this. To think I've wasted 9 years of this guitars life by not enjoying it is killing me. I've always thought that this guitar played and felt amazing but I just didn't get on with the tone. Now I'm over the moon about it.