I just got my 1st Hamer!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by riffpowers, Jun 21, 2006.

1. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

Sold my Gibson R4 and bought a Hamer Special Korina Junior.
    The Hamer rules!!!Needs a setup and a more manly set of strings, but its an absolute corker.Looks like a 50 year old piece of furniture, plays like a well worn in old guitar, the single P90 sounds bassy phat smooth and dirty, with the tone full up it sounds as phat as my other P90 guitars with the tone rolled 1/2 off, roll the tone full off and I get that creamy neck pickup lead tone I like so much.No messing about with pickup switches and trying to dial in each pickups sweet spot anymore!!!The SD P90 sounds awesome with my matamp GTL and really nails teh sound I look for with no tweaking required.
    Still in the honeymoon phase I guess, but I immediatley like this guitar, usually when I get something I have to spend a while trying to get the sounds i want out of it.
    I'll be giving it a proper test at band practice on friday, and we're in the studio next week too.

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

That'd be my choice of Hamers these days.

3. PHLOW

PHLOW Member

I have a Hamer Special Transparent Orange Mahogany Jr. that I feel much the same about! No muss no fuss, just plenty of tone and always ready to roar. Enjoy your new Jr.!

4. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

That's cool......

Enjoy it!

5. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

Congrats, Hamer makes a fine guitar! Any pics?

6. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I'm just sitting here playing my Monaco Elite and really digging how nice of a guitar it is.

A Korina Junior would be a great addition to my herd. Enjoy it.

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Yep - I agree with the other posts here. Good report on a nice guitar. Congrats.

8. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Just finishing up my first week with a "new to me" '93 P90 hamer special. It was advertised as beat up, but based on the sellers reputation and his assurance that it was "perfect" I paid a little more than going rate. I adjusted the relief yesterday to pretty much dead flat and couldn't believe how straight and clean sounding the neck is! those SD P90s are a hoot! Maybe I lucked out by buying from someone who knows about pickup height, but the front one played through an old marshall head (not mine and I'm not a Marshall user so I don't know anything other than it's about 30 years old) sounds like a smooth horn player. Big fat and warm with no real "pick" sound. The back one? Leslie West would be proud. Nasty and dirty and looking for a fight. Couldn't be happier. And the red transparent finish lets me live out my SG fantasies:AOK Hamers are cool.

9. riffpowers

riffpowers Member

I've not had much of a chance to play it yet, I should get it back from my local dealer today, its been getting a setup, so it'll be getting a proper tryout at tonights band practice, and we're in the studio next week too.

10. bigroy

bigroy Member

The Hamer Jr looms big on my horizon. I've been trying to snag a used one for the last 2 months or so. I missed one with a transparent orange finish that would have probably cost me my marriage.

I was a Hamer dealer waaay back in the late 80's. Great guitars and great company. My Artist is my #1 guitar.

Nice report, BTW :AOK

11. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

12. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Like I said in another thread "the honeymoon never ends with a Hamer!"
    Enjoy it!

13. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

14. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

15. LaXu