• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

I just got my new Supro Amp!!!

JiveJust

I've never seen that model amp before. Must be new. How do you like it so far? The tremolo sounds really good. Sounds like a versitile amp - you got a wide range of styles out of it.

I just posted a clip of rumble too. I'm a big Link Wray fan.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/521991
:BEER:BEER

Yeah it's a new model built by Bruce Zinky of Zinky amps. He owns the Supro name now.
http://suprousa.com/

I ordered a head and 2x12 cab version of the Tremolectric he builds. Then I ordered some upgrades like the effect loop, overdrive, an outboard speed control and the custom tolex.

So far I love it! It's my dream amp - what I've always wanted. It took a long to to get built cause I kept asking for upgrades as the project progressed. Well worth the wait. It completely exceeded my expectations! :AOK

JiveJust

Sounds great! Where'd you get it?

Thanks! I ordered it directly from Bruce Zinky. I bought a Zinky Mofo head and 2x12 cab that was my main gigging and recording amp in 2000. I fell in love with that amp and it's failed me. I started talking to him back then about options for a custom amp. I bought a Zinky Blue Velvet a few years later for smaller gigs and recording and it had some really cool upgrades. The Zinky transformer balanced effects loop and an extra gnarly Distortion channel really impressed me. That was the first Zinky I heard with Reverb. So I knew my next amp from Bruce needed to have tube Reverb.

I'm not sure when Bruce acquired the Supro name but once he told me that he was making Supro tube amps with tube Reverb AND Tremolo AND I could get the Zinky Distortion channel added I was hooked. :AOK

muffinman

Gold Supporting Member
Hey that thing is HOT!!! Nice custom finish. Excellent demos too! A fabulous-sounding amp. It truly is a dream amp that is totally under the radar. The reverb is frighteningly good, the tremolo is the only I know of that compensates with volume increase as the depth is increased, and the overdrive is really just perfect.

Try standing between a pair of them. I have 2 stock Supro Tremolectric amps (3 x10" combos) and it is stereo bliss.

bruceplays

Hey , congrats on the new amp. I got mine 13 days ago, but who's counting. Incredible breakup. Great tremolo and reverb. I'm still having a little trouble with the clean. What do you use as a starting point for your cleans ?

Bruce ( not Zinky, but I am in Flagstaff. )

TaronKeim

What were the upgrades to the overdrive and I thought the amp came with an outboard speed control?

Amazing clips, the drive tone is just killer... very thick sounding, cleans as well.

So just volume for the clean channel, gain and volume for the drive channel and shared EQ with a master volume?

_TJK*

JiveJust

Hey , congrats on the new amp. I got mine 13 days ago, but who's counting. Incredible breakup. Great tremolo and reverb. I'm still having a little trouble with the clean. What do you use as a starting point for your cleans ?

Bruce ( not Zinky, but I am in Flagstaff. )
What trouble are you having with the clean channel?

I set the clean volume between 9 and 10 O'clock. I set the Global volume between the G and the L of Global.

JiveJust

What were the upgrades to the overdrive and I thought the amp came with an outboard speed control?

Amazing clips, the drive tone is just killer... very thick sounding, cleans as well.

So just volume for the clean channel, gain and volume for the drive channel and shared EQ with a master volume?

_TJK*

Normally the Tremolectric is sold as a 3x10 combo. I started out with a head and 2x12 combo (much like my Zinky MOFO configuration) ugprade. Then I ordered the Effect Loop, Dirty channel upgrade (still has the Supro overdrive but the Zinky dirty channel picks up where it leaves off) and outboard tremolo speed control option and the custom Western tolex.

Yes both channels share the same EQ but Bruce told me that he had modified the dirty channel so that after you set up your clean channel and kick on the dirty channel "It just sounds right". I'll admit I was skeptical at first but once I heard I was a believer. The Global Volume replaces the standard Master Volume. I'm not sure how it works but it sounds really good when you turn it down whereas my Master Volume amps do not.

bruceplays

Its not really trouble, I just wanted to start with the cleanest possible and then work away from that. My other amp is a 64 bandmaster which is clean period at my normal volume. So far, I've discovered backing off my guitar volume, and playing with the relationship between the volume and global controls, but I haven't played with the EQ to see what that does. Those controls are supposed to be really interactive.

Bruce

JiveJust

Its not really trouble, I just wanted to start with the cleanest possible and then work away from that. My other amp is a 64 bandmaster which is clean period at my normal volume. So far, I've discovered backing off my guitar volume, and playing with the relationship between the volume and global controls, but I haven't played with the EQ to see what that does. Those controls are supposed to be really interactive.

Bruce
Hmmm. I guess trying setting the Clean Channel volume to below 9 O'clock. and boost the Global Volume? Are you running the amp at 16 ohms?

JiveJust

Great clips Casey!!

...and that amp's a beauty!!

Thanks man! I think I'll record some more clips this week to show more to the overdriven to heavy/high gain tones I can get out of the amp.

I'll post them to this thread when I get them recorded.

bruceplays

I've run it at 4 and 8 into a 2.6 and 4 ohm cabs. still living with the " don't go more than double or half the speaker load" thing. What happens with 16 ?

Bruce

JiveJust

I've run it at 4 and 8 into a 2.6 and 4 ohm cabs. still living with the " don't go more than double or half the speaker load" thing. What happens with 16 ?

Bruce

You may have to double check with Zinky but as far as I know every tube amp he builds has the same impedance circuit at the Tone Master(he designed for Fender) basically you can set the impedance anywhere and it doesn't hurt the amp and shouldn't hurt the speakers.

I've used 4 and 8 ohms on my Zinky Blue Velvet and MOFO amps to get a fatter/looser tone that breaks up at a lower volume. At least that's what my ear tells me. 16 ohms is by far the brightest/tightest sounding.

What type of cab/speakers are you using?

Trending Topics