I just got the OCD Version 4 and I'm loving it.....so far

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StudioRat320, Jun 27, 2008.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I've been a huge supporter of the Digitech Bad Monkey for a couple of years now and it's still being used alot in my rig. While I really love the BM, I noticed it performed great with my Fender Super Champ XD and Peavey Classic 50, but was a little underwhelming with my modified Traynor Mark III, which is basically a early 70's metal panel Marshall.

At first I tried a Boss SD-1, which I used about 7 years ago with the Peavey and a VHT Pittbull 45, but the new ones just don't sound the same.

So, I decide to pick up a OCD after trying it through a JCM800 and 2x12 cab with 75's. I really liked the way it didn't color the amp too much, just gave it more of a good thing. It wasn't buzzy either, just very smooth. The controls are very responsive and I love the high pass/low pass switch for variety.

I'm gonna really put it through it's paces today at the studio, so I'll do a follow up in a couple of days and let you guys REALLY know how I feel. There may even be some clips involved......Stay Tuned.

Thanks

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I ran one thru a JCM 800. I wanted a pedal that sounded great thru the low input as a rythm dirt pedal and the OCD was the best I found. I used a modded SD-1 as a solo boost then. So I had in a sense, three channels. That setup recorded beautifully. The OCD was also great as a solo boost on the high input. I think mine was a V1. I sold it due to money issues but i'll grab another soon. Might try a different version.

3. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

My rig is pretty simple. Vox V847, Bad Monkey, OCD, Carbon Copy & Boosta Grande. Having the different types of boost/overdrive/distortion certainly help when using a single channel amp like my Traynor.

I'll be headed to the studio soon, so I'll let you guys know how the OCD does in this setup.

4. madscientist

madscientist Member

Love my OCD v.4. There's been many contenders, but none have replaced it yet (I've owned one version or another of the ocd for 15 months).

5. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I have the version 4 and I think it's the best pedal for the 60's-early 80's Marshall. The only thing you have to be careful of, is playing it through an extra bassy amp like a Fender Twin. I have a Hot Rod Dlx and I'm getting great results.

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I traded my V-4 OCD because It doesnt work very good with all my amps,the only way to get it to work well was to krank the Vol knob at least 3/4 up and bring the drive down to 9 0clock,then it was ok but not as good as my Etenity,or Zendrive:munch

7. madscientist

madscientist Member

Why would you compare an OCD (a sound which was based off JTM-45 tones) with a Zendrive or an Eternity? They do COMPLETELY different things. I'm not trying to criticize either pedal, I have an Eternity and I adore it, but when I want Marshall crunch, it doesn't ever get looked at. The Zen and the E are WAY smoother than the OCD could ever dream, but there's nothing anywhere that would insinuate any other conclusion.

8. madscientist

madscientist Member

My apologies to deeval. I'm a bit over reactive this morning and a bad night of sleep has made me cranky.

Again, deeval, I apologize for the over-reaction.

(edited my original post to monitor my tone)

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

^^ touche for changing you post madscientist...

It's friday :BEER:drink

So i've deleted my response to your original email ( not sure if you saw it )..

10. madscientist

madscientist Member

Yeah...I was on the fence anyway, but you're post helped give a bit of perspective. Thanks for keeping me in check a bit.
    :BEER

11. Andre357

Andre357 Member

good point,

I think the Cot 50 and OCD may be a fairer comparison...

I know on my board I aways like a smooth overdrive ( I currently use an eternity )......and a more raw open and uncompressed " marshally " OD, currently a COT 50.

but i digress.......:)

12. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

[FONT=verdana,arial] It's poetry in motion
    And when she turned her eyes to me
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    She blinded me with science
    And failed me in geometry

When she's dancing next to me (Blinding me with science)
    Science
    I can hear machinery (Blinding me with science)
    Science

It's poetry in motion
    And now she's making love to me
    The spheres are in commotion
    The elements in harmony
    She blinded me with science, She blinded me with science
    And hit me with technology

When I'm dancing close to her
    Science
    I can smell the chemicals (Blinding me with science)
    Science

It's poetry in motion
    And now she's making love to me
    The spheres are in commotion
    The elements in harmony
    And hit me with technology

Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto You're beautiful

I, I don't believe it! There she goes again!
    She's tidied up and I can't find anything!
    All my tubes and wires, And careful notes
    And antiquated notions

But, it's poetry in motion
    And when she turned her eyes to me
    As deep as any ocean
    As sweet as any harmony
    Mmm, but she blinded me with science
    [/FONT]

:rotflmao

13. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

But on a serious note...
    Yes, I played the Hell out of an OCD v4 last night at band practice. It sounds great at bedroom levels, and it flat out blows me away when the amp starts really pushin'.

But I learned something when it was cranked and those tubes were really glowing in the back of my amp. I think I like LP mode better than HP at performance volume.

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

No problem !! You showed tremendous class changing your post and apologizing to the original poster.....

Your alright in my book ;):AOK !!

15. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

Just bought one not too long ago as well. Love it a bunch...would really like to hear how your recording experience is! The bass does get boosted as the gain is dialed up past about 1 or 2 o'clock on the dial...but it's not overbearing on my AC30 and I always have the bass turned way up on that thing...

Everything pointing straight up gives me a great rhythm tone...very transparent and very useful tone/gain knobs. It will be on my board for a while...

16. madscientist

madscientist Member

I'm with you on both the "LP" mode and high volume tone. It gets this insane thickness and sustain at high volumes.

17. madscientist

madscientist Member

I'll probably get around to the COT at some point. It's there, it's taunting me, and my bank account is screaming "NOOOOOO"

18. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

I'm going to have to do some experimenting. I liked HP mode for it in stand alone mode. But as a boost perhaps LP is better. I have the OCD right before my FD2 in the signal chain. Use it mainly for lead boost during performance at this point.

19. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I have v.3. What improvements have been made besides volume taper? I like v.3 but curious about v.4! Thanks.

20. madscientist

madscientist Member

Don't know if you've tried this, but try switching the order. When I had a FD2, I found the compcut mode (with boost on) pushed the OCD to a whole different level. Vintage mode would probably work fine too, just set the level up a bit more than usual. Gives more thickness and sustain.