I just learned an Expensive lesson

alivegy

Ignorance may be bliss, but in some case it can also be cheaper. A few years ago I bought a 65 bassman that had a GE and and RCA 12ax7 in it. I swapped them out for a 5751, not because I didn't like the tone but because I wanted to drop the gain a bit. Fast forward a couple of years and I sold the bassman but kept the RCA and the GE (ignorant but not that stupid). I traded the bassman for a 2203 Marshall.

I've had the Marshall for about 9 months and finally got around to trying some different tubes in it. I went through the 5751, tung sol, GT, and a few others. Then I dopped the NOS tubes in. I'm not going to say I was blown away with the sonic difference. I did have to adjust every knob on the amp to get the tubes to sound their best. It's the difference between a good day and a great day. The sound kept all of the karrang that the Marshall is known for but with added warmth and woodiness that we always sound so stupid trying to put into words. If you're slightly particular about things you'll notice the difference. These tubes look like they've seen a lot of life already, but they sound great. I hope they last a while, but judging by the way I like to get my distortion by nailing them with a boost pedal I doubt that they will, cause when they're gone I'm going to have to buy more of these damn things.

Axeplyr

Platinum Supporting Member
Yep, night and day difference... night and day costs too!

I'm deliberately staying ignorant, I know if I get wrapped in the NOS tube chase it'll be the end of me!

:eeks

DS88

Preamp tubes last a long while so I don't mind investing in some NOS, but for output tubes I go for some nice production tubes :)

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
That's the problem with NOS preamp tubes. You put the right one in the right amp, and realize it's not just hype. Then you get poor quick trying to figure out which ones work best for you.

alivegy

I'm not going to say the difference is night and day, I've used some good new productions tubes. But the difference was easily noticeable. Probably time to stock up before they're really all gone.

EastCoastRocker

Silver Supporting Member
That's the problem with NOS preamp tubes. You put the right one in the right amp, and realize it's not just hype. Then you get poor quick trying to figure out which ones work best for you.

Yea, you go broke finding the best NOS tubes, then you get REALLY broke trying to find even better ones!

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
There are plenty of ways to come up with UOS- used old stock vacuum tubes with plenty of life for guitar use- if you use your noodle. CL, garage sales and even the trash is your friend...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom