I just learned "Smoke on the Water!" Heh, heh..

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Guitar Non Hero, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Guitar Non Hero

Guitar Non Hero Member

A couple of weeks ago, I started working on Deep Purple's song with the infamous "Guitar Center show-off" riff, "Smoke on the Water." I was surprised at how deceptively easy the entire song was. The notes were not too hard to play in the solo, but getting Ritchie Blackmore's feel and touch is a challenge. From that first vibrato in the solo section, which sounded so sweet, to the perfectly pre-bent notes, I can see why this guy is a master. Learning this song is a great study in legato techniques among others.

I am just staring to take on "Stone Cold" by Rainbow, and it also has those beautifully expressive bent notes and the stacatto triplets and singing sustain.

Ritchie is for real. Wow.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 9:09 AM
  2. jcs

jcs Member

Ritchie would improvise quite a bit live on most of the hits from Deep Purple and Rainbow as well.

You can certainly hear where Eddie Van Halen got a lot of his licks and whammy tricks imo.....of course Blackmores tone and phrasing are very hard to get overall and he prefers to play along with an organist for the most part...it never sounds right without an organ imo!

shane8, GusFowler, MrX and 6 others like this.
  3. fitz

fitz Member

I just re-learned it and realized I was playing it wrong for over 40 years.:confused:

Guitar Non Hero likes this.
  4. General_Specific

General_Specific Member

I prefer to play Maybe I'm a Leo or Pictures of Home.

5. stevel

stevel Member

All of the songs on Machinehead are great. Great player.

Because he's playing against the organ, a lit of times he reverts to just single note stuff (some of it is panned hard to one side in the recordings so if you listen to only one side you can hear it).

There's a lot of little subtle nuances even in Smoke - make sure you get them all!

Oh, check it out:

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Ritchie has gone into interviews complaining about this more than once. He has said many times that everyone is playing it incorrectly.

IMHO the bass makes the song interesting, once you get past the initial riff.
    Take a listen to the bass-line next time!

A friend visited Montreux recently & found a little historic studio where there was some Queen gear, but no mention at all of Frank Zappa, the Mothers, or Deep Purple.

HeavyCream, QRSS, ant_riv and 5 others like this.
  7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

8. Angeln

Angeln Member

What, no plaque memorializing Funky Claude?

shane8, russ6100 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I have a 15 year old son who's taken up drums and the high hat workout in the song is something I've convinced him to practice. There are a lot of moving parts behind that simple riff that make it more than it is.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019 at 12:29 AM
  10. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Blackmore is the most underrated of all the big name legends. The guy is absolute MAGIC.

gr8gonzo, c_mac, AndreasG and 5 others like this.
  11. gr8gonzo

gr8gonzo Member

Ive been playing for longer than I'd like to admit - I still cannot get many of Blackers nuances. As mentioned above - those almost muted staccato triplets, those wonderfully smooth bends, the effortless vibrato. Lazy is a lesson in virtuosity and control. Also a very underrated slide player.

shane8, QRSS, MrX and 3 others like this.
  12. stratamania

stratamania Member

I am curious but what do you mean by underrated?
    Compared to what measurement?

13. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

He doesn't need to feel offended. I play everyone else's riffs wrong too.

shane8, ur2funky, Frank67 and 5 others like this.
  14. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

Perhaps the only solo I labored to get note-for-note and eventually went to Plan B on (played mostly the same notes but "my way" ) when I finally realized that no amount of practice would give me his fingers. A good lesson, worth the time it took to learn it.

15. Frankenstratocaster

Frankenstratocaster Member

All the greats were tall guys. Heck, even the female greats are all. I really annoys me that I am only
    5' 7". I can't do long finger stretches. :mad:

16. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

that song requires no learning
    all humans are born with the ability to
    breath
    eat
    poop
    sleep
    play the intro to smoke on the water

buddaman71 and T Dizz like this.
  17. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I love the Stone Cold solo. There's a lot of "wrong" ways to play it (see YOUTUBE). Really like the stacatto part and use of open strings.

18. Telefunky

Telefunky Member

Compared to all other big name legends; Hendrix, Clapton, Page etc... Blackmore is a far better guitar player than Hendrix and Clapton, for instance. His technique is more advanced, his lines are more intricate, and generally just a more melodic and solid soloist.

Hendrix is marketed and hyped like the greatest soloist ever, but apart from All Along The Watchtower, there's not much you could compare to Ritchie's work. Hendrix was definitely a genius though; his rhythm playing, songwriting, performances, and sonic palette contributed GREATLY to the world of Rock guitar, for which he receives plenty of credit; maybe too much.

Clapton made THREE major contributions to the world of electric guitar; the first man to pair a Les Paul with a Marshall cranked on "10"- creating the sonic template for rock guitar tone.

His playing on the Beano album set the foundation for rock soloing. Mostly old blues licks, but playing them with conviction and singing sustain led to a new style. Start with the Blues and light it on fire.

The other major contribution from Clapton was the prototype power trio, aka CREAM. Almost every rock band since then is based on Cream in sound, style, and approach. So much that deviating from Cream actually sets a band apart, ala The Police.

But Ritchie Blackmore really expanded the harmonic vocabulary of Rock music. The influence of Classical music in Deep Purple brought the element of virtuosity and complexity into Heavy Metal serving as the basis for Neo Classical and most of the "shredding" styles that came later.
    Sabbath had some nice melodies but they were simple.
    Zeppelin had some complex elements but were mostly Blues and Folk based until later.

Ritchie receives some recognition as an all-time great, but deserves much more based on his contribution to the expansion of the Rock music vocabulary. Underrated.

19. lespauled

lespauled Member

Most people do. Put the pick away for the main riff.

20. Hiighway Chile

Hiighway Chile Member

Always a good time for me when a Blackmore thread is made.

The staccato is the tricky part in this solo and most of his other solos.

Also his vibrato is top notch.

I love Ritchie's playing because he can go from melodic slow tasteful playing to full on wank shred mode and still sound great.