I just like to be able to plug in....and in a few seconds get a great tone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tennisplayer, Dec 18, 2009.

1. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

My old 77 JMP well it was just so simple. You plug in the cord to the guitar, then the other end into the amp and it always sounds the same.....great. You don't have to do a search mission to make the amp sound great. It just always does. You can turn the treble, mid, and bass knobs and it changes the tone a little, but never far from it's great core Marshall tone. My friends JCM 800 is the same. It always sounds like a great Marshall. My Classic 50.....exact same thing. Plug in and play. It you turn the bass knob up more...well it sounds just like it did only with a little more bass.

The rectifier.........took tweaking. Next day same settings......not just a different tone....sounded like a different amp! Played a Diezel......same deal, had to keep fiddeling with knobs to "DIAL IN A GOOD TONE".

Now that I'm an old fart I've realized I like most Marshalls and simple amps that you don't have to "dial in a tone".

So, what are the amps that only use tone controls to add or delete a little bass, mids, or treble but still sound the same. No long mission to "find a decent tone". Fenders and Marshalls, and Classic 30/50"s?

Why should you have to work with and fight an amp for it to sound great? It should sound great the second you plug it in and you only need those tone controls for slight tweaking. Am I all alone on this?

2. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I have found myself looking for this lately alot also. That is why I just bought a Top Hat Emplexador and 3 Monkeys Orangutan and couldn't be happier. Best 2 amps I have played in years for that application. I guess that is why the Onyx is my favorite Two Rock. Way easy to dial in great tones.

3. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i'm with you. my Zinky Blue Velvet and Peavey Classis are just that.

too bad those old amps i played in the 70's were so big and loud.....the tone was simple and great.

guitar, cord, amp....play

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Simple is good.

Of the amps I've owned, my current Regal II does it, and prior to that the 2X10 Dr Z Carmen Ghia did it with 2 knobs.

5. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I had this once... Soldano Hot Rod 50 Plus. I used a wah and a pedal to change channels, so simple yet so glorious! I miss that amp... sold it so I could take my wife on our honeymoon to Cancun. Geez... it's a good thing I'm still married and we have two awesome kids! LOL

6. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I was just on the Mesa forum. 80% of the posts are......."what are your settings for a good tone?" Then you get a million different wild settings. Oh, the frustration.

7. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Life's too short to be wastin' time tweekin'...

8. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I used to have a JCM900 that was that way. Almost no matter what I did, I was happy. Adjusting things just made them different, not bad. And, I could predict what the adjustments would do, which was also important. No searching or experimenting, trying to "dial it in".

This is the part where I say "Wish I still had that thing..." <grin>

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The curse of the modern amp is versatility.
    You can dial up bad tone that sounds ok, out of context, then not be able to find the really good stuff on stage.
    A proven classic amp is a cure for bad tone but tone has evolved to where 'bad' is desired by some.

10. Bostonrocks

Bostonrocks Member

A lot of this has to do with old Marshall's having worn out caps which can really affect how it works. unless you got it re-capped. They're still plug in play amps definitely.

Now. If I remember correctly. The mesa Recto series has a active EQ. and that is SUCH a pain in the butt. you can have a great setting one day and 3 hours later it'll sound like crap in the same room because of a tempurature change or something like that.

11. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Old Hiwatts and my Reeves CP-103 is like that. Awesome every time...

12. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The Orangutan is stupid simple to plug in and get a great tone.

13. amp boy

amp boy Member

I'm happy with my 5E3.
    Volume on 4.....nice tone.
    oh i want more of it, ok volume on 9.

I'm really feeling that what i like is to have the amp be what it is, tone full volume, and use the vol/tone on my guitar.....with playing style.

Really.......i love overdrive on an amp that i control with my guitar volume.
    gawd it just seems right.

14. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Satellite Amps. When we were at NAMM, I talked to several guys down stairs about Satellite. It was kind of funny, but also very understandable, a lot of players think there is something "missing" from an amp with as simple a face plate as one of Adam's amps. Typically just, Volume Bass Treble, or perhaps Volume Tone.
    Like I said, I was shocked at how many players do not realize the theory of a tone stack, tone/signal loss that occurs via "extra" components and knobs. People tend to think if there is not a fat switch, boost circuit, midrange knob, bright switch, relays, etc. etc. that the amp is "missing" components.
    Not knocking a Two Rock, Mesa, Dumble or whatever. All kinds of great amps these days. But there is/always has been a certain type of beauty and elegance to be found in simplicity. Like with a Beatles tune.

15. FFTT

FFTT Member

For plug and play, nothing beats my little Ampeg Reverberocket.

No problem finding a good tone with so many great tones available.

16. Deaj

Deaj Member

I own two amps, each very different from the other. Both have quite a bit more than just a few simple controls to shape the amps tone. Both are often associated with folks very particular about tone, folks who often discuss settings to achieve a particular tone. I spent a few hours with each amp after purchasing them learning how each control affects the amps sound, how the controls interract, finding the sweet spots, and experimenting. Following this initial learning curve I have spent almost no time at all fiddling with or tweaking either amp (save a few occasions where playing with the amp was the focus - something I've done with JMP's, 5E3, etc. - every amp I've owned). I just plug in, turn them on, and get great tone every time. The only tweaking I do is to set levels to mix appropriately with others and occasionally adjust treble or presence for the room. This is the same process for me whether an amp has 2 controls or 50+ (which one of my current amps has) - takes a few seconds up front and then the amp is out of the way, does it's job, and makes me smile almost every single time. Knowing the amps well allows me to be able to dial in what I want without burning time for it.

My amps are a Fuchs ODS-50 1x12 combo and a Mesa Boogie Mark V 1x12 combo. I don't see the the controls as complex at all and I don't feel any compulsion to use them. They simply allow for a great deal of flexibility when dialing the amps in initially. Once they're dialed in I commit the settings to memory. Controls invariably get bumped, changed when transporting the amps. At setup time I do a visual check and correction of the amps controls before I turn it on. When the standby switch is flipped I hear exactly what I'm expecting to hear - great tone (barring any failure of course).

Though exceptions do exist lots of controls or active controls does not have to be complex, distracting, or frustrating. I view them like I do the menu options most computer monitors offer. These options allow me to center the displayed input signal, set brightness, contrast, color balance, etc. Once it's set up I'm done and I can enjoy the image optimized for my vision and preferences without any additional effort on my part. From there it's nice to know that those options are there should the viewing environment lighting or my preferences change.

17. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

This^^^ It doesn't get much easier. I wish I had never sold mine.

:rockin

18. amp boy

amp boy Member

get another neville.
    the awesome dude i got mine from, sold it to me to get another 5E3 "improved" type of amp.....Felt something was off...sold it....went on the hunt for the same amp he sold me,
    found it....thankfully.....win win for us both.
    Now we both have keepers.
    : )

i am thinking of getting a different speaker sometime to try mixing it up a bit.
    Weber of some sort...probably a signature series.

19. Strat59

Strat59 Member

The Old Tweeds / B.F. Fenders are just plug & play amps
    Simple Circuits. They'll give you a great Core Tone the rest is up to you.

My main love is my ' 68 JMP Plexi 50w thru 4 x 12 G12M
    Original Pulsonic Cones. Rock / Blues / Jazz its right there.

Fender , Marshall , Hiwatt , Vox - Cornerstones of Tone
    How much great music's been made using those 4 !

20. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I love to tweak when it comes to recording, but when I just want to play, my go-to amp is my Alessandro. Vol/Treb/Mid/Bass. That's it. 15 watts and can run EL34, KT66, 6V6, or 6L6. No problem with getting instant tone.