I just love my new RNP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by KillerV, Apr 7, 2008.

1. KillerV

KillerV Member

I posted a thread a while back about what you guys thought I should upgrade in my studio first. I got some great advice and I've been upgrading accordingly as my budget allows.

Now, so far I've been using an early Behringer MX2004, which has the same preamps as the old MX8000 desks. I ran the preamps into my interface from the inserts to eliminate anything in the signal chain that doesn't really have to be there. Even with all the Behringer-bashing going around I have to say that the desk has been serving me really, really well and everything on the desk is still in perfect working order. I've even done some recent recordings with it that I posted in the Soundclips-forum. I might also add that the desk was an earlier upgrade from one of those Mic100 "toob"-thingies that they make.

My budget finally allowed a preamp-upgrade and I saw the great reviews the FMR Audio RNP has been getting, so I decided that it is what I wanted. All things considered it made the most sense: (1) Many reviews say it's so good that it should cost twice it's price - apparently even Rupert Neve digs it (2) It's small so it's not such a big deal to get it out to South Africa as with other more bulky units (3) Anything close to it in quality costs more than twice its price in SA. It finally arrived here on Friday.

I am just over the moon! The difference is absolutely night and day!!!!!!!! I still don't think the preamps on the Behri sounds bad, but the RNP is just so much bigger, fatter and smoother. The DI also sounded awesome. I can't believe how great it sounds. In my excitement I played the clips I made to people who I didn't thing would hear the difference - definitely no golden ears - but even they did. If I have ever doubted the difference a great preamp can make to your sound, this has made me realise. This is making me think the preamp is at least as important as the mic. I am just blown away!

Thanks to everyone who has been recommending this preamp to me. I'm a really happy dude today.

2. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

congrats! I've been thinking about getting one too.

3. Mark C

Mark C Member

I'll be picking one up along with an RNC in the near future. From what I've read, to really get good sounds, you've gotta have a nice mic, pre, converters, monitors and decent room treatment.