I just ordered a strat from Japan

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 56_Special, Sep 6, 2006.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I've been keeping my eyes out for a strat for the past six months or so. I've played a lot of them in music stores around town. Some of the ones I've liked the most were a few Hamertones (one I really really liked, but I dithered and someone else bought it), and every EJ I played was very nice. I was generally underwhelmed by the Fender Custom Shop's I played with one exception. That one was probably the nicest strat I played during the whole period, but at $3000 it was out of my price range. The real surprises were the Japanese strats. Most of them were in the $500 range and so when I picked them up I didn't have particularly high hopes. Then I would play them and do a double take. The necks were always really special. I even liked a couple of them more than high end strats costing more than twice as much. It seemed like everytime a reasonably priced strat had mojo, it turned out to be Japanese. I guess I really connect with the neck carves on the Japanese models.

Since I had a little extra scratch to burn, and it seemed like I really connected with the Japanese strats, I decided to order a high end one from Ishibashi. I figure if I like the middle of the road ones as much as Custom Shops (more actually with that one exception) and EJ's, a high end one would be that much better. We will see.

So I ordered one of the new ST54-120DMC's. Nitro finish, V neck, vintage radius and frets (which I like), two toned sunburst, and Dimarzio Classical Vintage pickups. I've never heard of those pickups and the Dimarzio website has no info on them, but I have a set of Fralin's I can swap in if they suck. BTW, can anyone tell me why Japanese reissues have '54 and '57 backwards. The '54's have V-shaped necks and the '57's have U-shaped necks. :confused:

2. MikeP

MikeP Member

3. drolling

drolling Member

I have an ST-54 from the early 90s that is one killer guitar; alder body & a huge soft V neck profile. It came w/Texas Specials, which I swapped out for Fralin Vintage Hots. Also put in a Callaham block & '64 cut-down trem arm.

It badly needs a refret, and I'm thinking about a re-radius and some medium-jumbos. I had that done to my old '52 RI tele and it's better than I could have imagined.

Best of luck w/yours!

And post some pics when it comes in!!

4. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Oh man you are my hero. I have been procrastinating on purchasing exactly what you ordered. I am dying to know what you think.
    Rob

5. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I'll definitely let you guys know how it turns out. Ishibashi don't have any in stock right now, but they said they would in the middle of the month. With any luck it should ship in a week or so.

Martin

6. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

The only reason I can think that Ishibashi doesn't have a lot of variety on their website for Fender Japan is that FJ makes so many different models that they just don't want to waste server space hosting the pics. However, Ikebe has a LOT of the different FJ models pictured on their site so who knows.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase and don't forget to post pics when it arrives. :)

7. go7

go7 Member

+1 Best strats, amazing value. Fender has bent over backwards to keep those strats out of N.A. At one time the Japanese built a reissue that was so good nobody bought any American standards.Fender put an end to that. Good on ya!!

8. Hank Linderman

Hank Linderman Supporting Member

are you guys ordering these? Thanks...H

9. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

mtlin- are you sure it is nitro?

10. 56_Special

56_Special Member

That's what both Ishibashi and Fender Japan say, so I guess it must be.

11. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I ordered mine from Ishibashi. Here's a link to Google's translation of the page:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dishibashi%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

Here's what you do. Browse the site or find some other source of information on what you want. Ishibashi can get lots of stuff that's not on their website, so look around for ideas. Then write:

web-shop@ishibashi.co.jp

with "Internation Question" in the subject line and ask them for what you want. They have sales people who speak English. They take credit cards. Good luck.

Best,

Martin

12. Erico

Erico Member

Cool to see someone taking the same plunge as I did.
    I've got an ST62-105DMC in 3T sunburst on order, it was shipped last night.
    I've been looking at the Fender Japans for a while, and when I got to try some of them in London this summer, I was hooked.
    So, I sold my American Standard and ordered the mentioned high-end Fender Japan model.