I Just Ordered ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleplayer, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The first-ever TopHat 1x12 V-Front 50w Emplexador Junior amp. It will be teamed with my 1x12 High Gain (based on the HG side of the Emplex) in an A/B rig. It's be my 17th or 18th TopHat I've owned, and the seventh Hat I'll currently have at home.

The amp is based on the basic/vintage JTM45 side of the Emplexador. Will have one Fat-Normal-Bright toggle switch and a built-in Variac. Amp will be loaded with a Celestion Creamback H - same speaker I have in the 1x12 HG.

The finish will be the polar opposite of my HG. Thus, it will be Black Levant, salt/pepper grill cloth, bone color tolex V with light-up TopHat logo on the front, gold inlaid piping and gold piping around the grill cloth ala Marshall, gold vents on top and a gold faceplate; Marshall knobs.

4 weeks until delivery. As with everything Brian makes, it will be a bitchin' amp.

2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

You’re my hero

jasevenny and Teleplayer like this.
  3. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Congrats Teleplayer, you are the TGP Tophat king. I've always wanted to try a few...very seldom do I see them in the wild.

4. Teleplayer

LOL

It'll be a fine addition to the family:

[​IMG]

The new Emplexador Junior will be finished in the complete opposite appearance of the bone colored 1x12 combo. And instead of the TopHat Empire logo, will have the new V logo that Brian has been using on his new 2x10 Studio Series combo cabs.

19rick52, markw1980, BADHAK and 6 others like this.
  5. Teleplayer

We should hook up; you can try my 'Hats and I'll get a crack at your Welegan. The cool thing about my 'Hats, is that three of them are custom builds. Killer amps.

6. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

This needs to happen, I'll pm you my info. You have a sick collection, very thought-out as well.

7. Teleplayer

Oh, and I also have a Dr. Z RxEs that Tracii Guns used to own. Doc tuned it up for me about 3 months ago. KILLER little 4xEL84 1x12.

stratpaulguy86 likes this.
  8. muzishun

muzishun Member

9. Teleplayer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

A man that knows what he likes! A definite tip of the chapeau to you.

BADHAK likes this.
  11. Teleplayer

Thanks T - another Florida TGP brother!

Slevin and tmac like this.
  12. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

Always enjoyed seeing this collection, looking forward to seeing the final product!

Teleplayer likes this.
  13. Teleplayer

Me too -- on both counts.

:)

14. OverDrivenGtr

OverDrivenGtr Supporting Member

What are all the amps in the group shot above? I can read the face plate on the 2 heads but can't tell what models all the combos are. I've got a 2x12 Club Deluxe coming next week that I found on Reverb. It's from 1999, SS rectified with a Greenback and a Jensen of some sort. Can't wait to hear it!

15. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Congrats! Can't wait to hear more about it and see it!

Teleplayer likes this.
  16. Teleplayer

The black head and matching 2x12 is a custom-built Embassy, based on the rare-as-hen's teeth amp that Brian built around 1997. He built this one for me, as if he had kept refining the original amp over 20 years. He tamed the Brown Deluxe on Steroids side of the amp, and added a Tweed Bassman/JTM45 side (which replaced the original AC30TB side on the original. 4x6V6 back end. Amp is loaded with all premium old glass and is just an uncanny sounding amp. Cab is loaded woth Scumback speakers built for this amp.

The fawn tolex 2x12 combo is a current issue Club Royale. It has a pair of 20 year old MIE G12H30 Anniversary speakers in it. Brian G. said it is literally the finest sounding pair of speakers he's heard in a CR circuit. Said those speakers are the perfect mate for the amp. I can e.q. it to sound like a Marshall 18 watter or dime the master and e.q. it to mimic a Vox AC15. Gorgeous sounding amp, and nearly as loud as my King Royale. As with the Embass, it's running all premium old glass.

The rough cream tolex amp is my well-known script logo 2x12 King Royale. This amp used to be referred to as The Mystical King on the old TopHat Forum. It was built and signed by Phil Jamison - who went to work for Brian when the original Matchless closed its doors. The original script logo Kings had these huge stad-up power and Output transformers made by Pacific Transformer Co. They were wound to exacting original JTM specs; thus, the amp sounds much closer to a Marshall Bluesbreaker than it does to a Vox AC30. Stunning amp to look at and play through. Tone for days. Also loaded with all premium old glass.

The dark green head/cab is a script logo 50w Emplexador in one of the first-ever transition era-logo heads/cabs. Still has the killer script logo circuit. I have NOS Siemens/RFT EL34s in this amp. It was last tuned up by Tim Schroeder and his guys in Chicago. Just greasy, nasty, vintage-y sounding amp.

The brown amp is called the KTR39, and it's named after me. It's a Fender Brown Deluxe circuit at heart. But Brian added some cool features, as follows .. it's the first TopHat to ever have a built-in variac. It has a MV and Fat-Normal-Bright toggle for further tone shaping. Vol-Tone-Cut-MV controls. If I dime the MV, it is pure Brown Deluxe. I can run EL34s, 6L6s and 6V6s. I have matched NOS sets of each, but am currently running TAD 6L6GC long bottles in the power section (along with n NOS Mullard 4-notch GZ34), because they are uber-musical sounding tubes.

The cream/bone 1x12 is the prototype 1x12 High Gainer using the true 50w Emplexador transformer set that is wound by Heyboer. Utterly crazy-cool sounding 1x12. Lately, I have been using this amp along with the KTR in an A/B amp set-up to go from mean to scream -- total rock 'n' roll sound.

The new build is discussed in the first post to this thread and will be a perfect mate for the High Gainer. Those amps will give me a full-on 50w Emplexador but in an easier to carry set-up that allows me to A/B the vintage and high-gain sides of the Emplex circuit by using an A/B/Y box.

Hope this helps.

northfortyrecords likes this.
  17. Teleplayer

Thanks Scott. I'm looking forward to receiving the amp.

sickboy79 likes this.
  18. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Wow, in 30+ years of playing I don't think I've owned much more than 18 amps total. However, I do know what it's like to find your sound and stick to it. I've got 6 amps and 5 of them are the same basic circuit ...........79, 80, and 82 2203's, Ceriatone 2203, and 82 4104(2204 in 2x12 combo)

Congrats

19. Slevin

Slevin Member

Thank god the season is over

tmac likes this.
  20. Teleplayer

Thanks.