I Just Ordered ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleplayer, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Dig ?

Dig ? Member

Damn! Thats gonna be one cool amp tele. Cant wait to see that. Youve got such a fine hat collection, i can feel the itch for a custom tophat comin on

2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks, Dig. It'll be a great amp. All of Brian's amps are fantastic.

Brian's never been the Builder Du Jour - he's simply been running a very steady and successful business for 20+ years. He's sold thousands of amps with basically no advertising, and his products have been on stage with Steely Dan, Los Lobos, Bonnie Raitt, Dierks Bentley and many others - going back ages.

He was under the hood of D*mbles going back 25 years, for two of LA's biggest session cats. Thus, he understood true D* circuits and was working on them when many of the current D* builders were still learning how to read schematics.

Brian's a brilliant builder. I've used his stuff to gig, jam, record, practice - and just simply enjoy - for 20 years now. He's even been a go-to guy for a couple well-known builders that have asked his help to perfect certain filter/resistor/etc. values as they tweak his amps.

To top it off, he is a Customer Service maven -- always has been and always will be. He'll talk your ear off about circuits, values, the fibers used in 1960s Celestion speaker cones, how/why his current cabs are better (flexibility of the baffle, how they breathe, etc.), etc. Great cat. Nobody else I would rather have build me an amp - hands down, for many reasons. Plus, he is accessible and approachable.

Three of my current Hats are custom builds. And the new one will be the first V-style 1x12.

If you feel the urge, go for it!

Echoplexi and BADHAK like this.
  3. Toowoombaus

Toowoombaus Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like a great amp! Emplex Jr. nice!

4. Teleplayer

Apparently there was a big enough demand that Brian had Emplex Jr. faceplates made. Amp will come in three different models and have some cool features - all is a portable package.

What could be better - especially in an A/B amp rig format with a High Gain Emplex Jr.?? Those two amps plus a boost pedal will pretty much cover the waterfront (at least for me). Or, I could get a Lehle A/B/C pedal and do three amps (including the KTR).

It's all good.

Toowoombaus likes this.
  5. Toowoombaus

So this amp is going into production, or will it only be available as a custom build?
    Also will the amp have the extra gain stage like the big Emplexador or only the vintage voicing?

Are you at liberty to discuss the three different versions?

It sounds really exciting! I replaced the duties of my Matchless Indy with an Emplexador Scripty 50 watt as you know and I don't regret it one bit. It's a fantastic amp.
    Of course it really shines with the master between 7 and 10, so I use a Rivera Rock Crusher always.

Congratulations on being the first to get one of these! Nice...

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

You DEFINE the term "Hes a man of many hats".
    :beer

7. Teleplayer

They will actually be "production" models. But Brian basically builds them one at a time, based on firm orders that come in. It's not as though he stocks inventory.

The one I am now buying is the vintage/basic side of the Emplex. Full-on 45-50 watter with the 50w Emplex transformer set. Thus, the real deal but in a 1x12 portable package. The control faceplates/panels are already made for a run of these amps -- some of the control panels/faceplates are Marshall gold, some silver and some black.

The Emplex Junior model will have three options: basic/vintage (like the JTM side of the Emplex); modern/high gain (like the modern/JCM side of the Emplex); Both (like a true 50w Emplex with a small toggle that allows you to switch between modes).

I believe all will have a built-in variac in place of a standby switch. The the two models will have a Fat-Normal-Bright toggle switch just like the big amp. The one incorporating both sides of the larger Emplex - I believe the toggle will be used as a switch between the two; not sure if that one also gets the Fat-Normal-Bright switch as well.

My bone color 1x12 was the prototype High Gain (Brian had done other High Gainers, but they were based on the Super Deluxe. I asked Brian to do one using the full-on Heyboer Emplex OT; Brian uses all Heyboer transformers) - it's a monstrous sounding 1x12. I use it on a large soundstage where my band rehearses; I've never been able to crank it more than about 1/3 of the way up. Big, ballsy sounding 1x12.

Thus, when my new one arrives, I will have two 1x12 Emplex Juniors -- with each amp being a separate side of the bigger Emplex head. I can then A/B them using my Fulltone True Path A/B/Y when I am in a band or jam setting. Plus, 1x12s that weigh 40-45 pounds are simply easier to carry than a 2x12 bottom and larger head. Less bulky.

And if my proto High Gain 1x12 is any indication, the vintage/JTM 1x12 will sound great.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Phil M and Tag like this.
  8. Toowoombaus

Yes it does... :)

One more question: do you know if it will have the Pull/Boost or Normal/Boost function?

I think that is one of my favorite features of the Emplexador, adding gain to the high frequencies...

Post some pictures when it arrives.

9. Teleplayer

I think it will be the Fat-Normal-Bright boost toggle. No pull boost - those went away with the scripty circuits, I believe.

I'll post pics of the newest amp and also in an A/B set-up with my HG; the finish on each amp will be completely opposite of the other.

10. Teleplayer

WHOOOOA ----- been chatting with Brian, I am a bit off-base. There are two models -- NOS, which has the Classic Plexi mode. And then the OD model that has both High Gain and/or Classic modes in one amp. The OD model is a bit more expensive.

Here are the new faceplates:

[​IMG]

With the corrected information and pics of the new faceplates, that will hopefully give a bit better/clearer understanding about the Emplex Junior.

Phil M and sickboy79 like this.
  11. sonicmessiah

sonicmessiah Member

very cool
    gotta say, if an amp can be sexy those are gonna be.

12. Toowoombaus

Very Nice! I love that Font.

It looks like the Boost is still there, it was re-named at some point according to the website.

Thanks for posting these!

13. Teleplayer

I updated the information - I was off-base and made the correction. Two models only: 1) Classic (JTM45), and 2) OD. Utterly cool amps.

My OD, being the prototype, is stripped down. No variac, etc. Combined with my Classic build, it will literally be like having both sides of the Emplex. Been wanting that in an A/B rig for nearly 20 years. Now I'll have it in a very portable set-up.

14. Teleplayer

Yes, Brian wasn't thrill at first about the new name; but apparently people kept asking for an "Emplexador Junior"; so the name sort of came about because of the demand for that amp.

I think the faceplates look great.

15. sonicmessiah

sonicmessiah Member

not sure but i think my "classic" was the prototype of the non-od side: looks like a Super Deluxe, sounds like an Emplex.

16. Teleplayer

I think you're right.

17. sonicmessiah

sonicmessiah Member

think i'd prefer one like the one you have on order :D

18. Teleplayer

They're all great. I am glad I have the proto 50w High Gainer. Cool amp. It's what the whole Emplex Jr. concept is based on (along with yours).

19. Teleplayer

Here are a few pictures of the first amp Brian made (pics just came in today and it's a 2x10 model in old school Hiwatt tolex) with the Emplex Junior faceplate and new, deeper 2x10 cab This one is not mine. Mine will be the first V front 1x12 and will be black tolex with a bone color tolex V.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Phil M and Echoplexi like this.
  20. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Saw these pics on his Instagram page, looks awesome!