I Just Ordered ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleplayer, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Teleplayer

Teleplayer New Mods On The Block Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I really wanted the 2x10, but the Greenback 10" speakers are 95db. I wanted something more inline with my HG 1x12. So I decided on the 1x12 version loaded with a Creamback H. I like the aggressive sound of that speaker, for my tastes.

Echoplexi likes this.
  2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I also prefer the Creamback H (and M, and especially Alnico) better than a greenback so I back your decision!

3. Teleplayer

Plus, the 10s would have been more likely to "flub out" if I hit the front end with a strong boost or more gain. The Creamback H will stay stout and won'd fold under the pressure.

Echoplexi likes this.
  4. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Good call.

Now you gotta tell him to get that damn cat off your amp! :waiting

5. Teleplayer

That one's not mine.

:D

Echoplexi likes this.
  6. Teleplayer

Will be completed and shipped next week. I bought NOS Mullard, Brimar and RFT 12AX7/CV492/ECC83 preamp tubes from Mike K. a few days ago. And will likely load it with this (museum condish 4-notch Mullard GZ34) and these EL34s (Zaerix labeled Siemens/RFT):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a really old NOS RCA black plate 7025, Siemens ECC83 with perfectly matched triodes and several Ei ECC83s (including a pre-war). Tube rolling will be fun with this amp!

7. Teleplayer

Just snagged the following to try in the new amp: NOS Brimar CV492 (military grade CV4004/ECC83), NOS Telefunken labeled RFT ECC83, ANOS Fisher labeled Mullard Blackburn 12AX7/ECC83, ANOS 1963 Amperex Bugle Boy 12AX7/ECC8s and an ANOS Sylvania 7025.

Will add to the tube rolling enjoyment.

Echoplexi likes this.
  8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

T man - so does Brian ship the amp without tubes in it since he know's you're gonna put that prime glass in?

9. Teleplayer

I decided to have him send a pair of the new-issue Mullard EL34s with it. I have an extra pair or two, but that's ok. I like them; a very "musical" EL34. But he is not providing any preamp or rectifier tubes.

In addition to the tubes I listed, I have a variety of new-issue recto and preamp tubes. One of my all-time favorite preamp tubes in the Emplex is a really nice EH 12AX7; great tubes in that circuit. I have one of those, a bunch of Tung Sol, Mullard, Sovtek and Svetlanas too. I also have Sovtek and JJ 5AR4/GZ34 rectifiers. But the NOS 4-notch and 7-notch Mullards tighten up the low-end so well, I invariably go with either that or a ss plug.

10. Phil M

Phil M Member

These look awesome. I’m gonna try to get on board with an Emplex Jr 1x12 this year.