I just picked up a cheap Harmony flying V copy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KCWM, Jan 29, 2008.

1. KCWM

KCWM Member

I bought an old Harmony Flying V off of craigslist. It's definitely a fun purchase...not intended to be a serious, TGP worthy guitar. Though, the tuners are some aftermarket schaller tuners. I'm glad that the previous owner replaced them, as you can see the old holes where the cheap, diamond shape tuners were on there...yeah...those cheap, cheap tuners.

It's white with gold hardware and a bolt on neck. It has a tremolo instead of a stop tailpiece and appears to be a plywood guitar with laminated top and bottom. The pickups are cheap humbuckers without adjustable pole pieces, but they don't sound half bad through my old boss DS-1. It plays well enought, but could definitely use a set up. It sat in a guy's closet for years. The pots are scratchy and either need to be cleaned or replaced.

The neck is the surprise. The neck feels good...at least as good as the Epiphone flying V guitars I've played. I wouldn't go as far to say it's better than a Gibson, but it's a pretty nice neck for a cheap JC Penny guitar.

It's a little beat up, but my fiancée has an obsession with the flying V guitar, and she's a beginner, so I figured why not. If that can pique her interest, awesome. Then we can move on to bigger and better guitars...which, in her opinion, is the explorer.

I think it'd be great to upgrade the pickups and electronics and turn it into a real nice guitar. This might be my chance to try some of those GFS humbuckers.

here are some quick pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kanderson

kanderson Member

pretty cool! Is Harmony still around? I learned how to play guitar on an old Harmony strat back in the 80's.

I recently bought a cheapo used Dean baby V for my 6 year old to learn on. He loves it. I was kinda surprised at how well it played too and the pickups weren't all that bad for a Chinese made guitar. Definitely a cool beginner guitar.

3. KCWM

KCWM Member

I don't think Harmony is still around. This was just a guitar sitting in the guy's closet.

I've played some decent Harmony guitars...at least on the level of some of the mid range Epiphones or Mexican made Fenders...even if they are made with cheaper components.

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

Harmony just launched a new line of guitars. They are based on their popular guitars of the 50's and 60's.

5. buffbiff21

buffbiff21 Member

She's a keeper! :dude

6. KCWM

KCWM Member

:BEER

She REALLY wants a Gibson, but until she learns, she's stuck with a cheapy. She also got me a double cutaway Gibson Les Paul for my birthday.

7. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

A buddy of mine has that guitar in a mahogany-type finish and chrome hardware. She's a fun guitar to play, and when he shoved some Duncans in there, became a real rock screamer and definitely a gigger! ( Not that it isn't when stock!)

-db

8. KCWM

KCWM Member

I just learned that the tone knob is not wired. But, that's ok. I have the drive channel turned to just a little bit of gain and it gets a nice bassy, full sound. I'll probably record a couple of clips tomorrow.

9. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

That's cooler looking than I thought it would be!
    Nice Axe!