I just picked up a Route 66, what speakers work best with this amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radialaced, Jun 19, 2006.

1. radialaced

radialaced Member

I really like the thick low gain sound of the route 66. So if I want to capitalize on that sound what speakers and speaker configurations do you suggest?

I have a 1x12 cab and a few speakers to try in it, but is the Route 66 better through a 2x12 or even a 4x12?

Thanks

2. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Try it through the Dr. Z 4x10......you'll never ask the question again. :dude
    FWIW,
    Rick

3. Blueshound

Blueshound Member

For 12" speakers-Vintage 30 and G12H30. That's what the Doctor loads in his ported 2x12. I tried a lot of 12" speakers with my Rt66 when I had it and nothing came close to that combo in his Z-Best cab. The drawback is, due to its size, that cab is a bastard to move around.

4. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

What Blueshound said. You can't beat that Dr. Z 2 X 12. I also put a tonker and a Red Fang in that cabinet and that was also very sweet.

5. radialaced

radialaced Member

I plugged this head into quite a few different speakers so far. Here are a few:

Kendrick Brownframe - dark with lot's of ghost notes
    G12H-30 - nice
    JBL D130F 15" - nice
    Late 70's Celes G12-65 - nice
    2x12 blues - real nice!
    Marshall HW 4x12 slant - real nice

So I think the route 66 likes most speakers. I haven't tried my Tonetubby, Wizard or Weber C12N50 yet.

I have two of late 70's G12-65's, how do you think a 2x12 with them would sound?

Thanks

6. radialaced

radialaced Member

I have two Mojo Tone Black Beautie 10's and two Dave Allen 10's I'd love to put them in a 4x10 cab the hear them.

7. myles111

myles111 Member

Its not really a speaker picky amp .... it loves just about anything. My personal favorite setup for the Route 66 is with the Z-Best with the stock V30 / H30 setup.

8. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

absolutely wonderful amp live with a band- I ran my new Rt 66 (a wonderful cond. used one- thanks Suhr Rodney!!) through a marshall 1936 cab loaded with a weber blue dog 30W and ceestion G12H30 and it sounds righteous. Cleans are Frusciante when stumming or playing funk, dig in and SRV cleans are there. An OD pedal send it over the edge. Thick blues tone with a strat. Amazing. I finally get it. My ES335 gave me some nice blues tones as well. With the treble down a bit to help cut a little midrange that the 335s are famous for, I got a nice rock tone with either a fulldrive or OCD or BB pedal. It even sounded so different with a double muff from EH, very Keef when cranked and in a band setting. Fuzzes sounded warm through these speakers too when playing with a band. None of the buzziness that you hear at home with effects comes through live. Incredible amp for rock and blues when playing live. I think the 2x12 closed back with greenbacks would be good. I have a 2x12 open backed cab loaded with greenbacks and it also sounds killer with the 66. I actually prefer the weber/celestion combo since the speakers are warm but have a bit more high end or articulation.

9. radialaced

radialaced Member

Thanks Dewman,

I'm so confused. I seems that everything works with this head. The Marshall 1936, and every other 2x12 on the planet.

Now I'm just worried that if I buy a cab without trying it I might want to start experimenting with speakers.

10. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

So what's the problem?
    ;)

FWIW I used a Greenback and G12H in a Jenkins 2X12 with my 66 for a few years and loved it.
    I personally hate V30's but I think it would work well with this amp, especially with a G12H to soften the blow.
    I used the 66 with a V30 in a ported 1X12 breifly and it wasn't too bad.
    Experiment, it is fun!

11. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I found that when I ran my 66 with a single 12" it liked the v30 most of all. I'm not a fan of the speaker but it worked very well in an Avatar 1x12" cab with the 66. My favorite 2x12 combo is the Blue and G12H.

12. m1911

m1911 Member

I like the Tone Tubby Original 12" Hemp Cones.....I put a pair each in two Z-Best Cabs.....Love em'! I (we) like the tone.....AND....each are rated for 35 to 40 Watts. The Z 1x12 with a Tone Tubby sounds great too.....and cuts the volume.
    If I were to order a "Standard" Z-Best I would specify Heritage Celestions....G12H on the Bottom, and G12M Greenback on Top. I also think TWO G12M Greenbacks would be nice.
    Mark