I just played the Honey Bee and the LDO!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

Damn, I really thought I didnt need the honey bee....it is something else...it really really is a great pedal.....KILLER crunchy tones....especially when pushed with the LDO.....but on its own, its amazing.....I HAVE to order it...I a/b it with the timmy, both are great pedals and have slightly some similar characteristics....BUT completely completely different....the overlap is like 50% thats it...and you know the rest of the 50% makes all the difference!!!its the crunch that I have been searching for in my entire tone quest!!!!

The LDO....man....I tell yopu I cant afford 500$ for an overdrive pedal,350 for the honey bee itself is a LOTT!!! but the LDO...is a killer pedal....I was really impressed.....I much prefer it to the eternity.....not only way more versatile...but more usable...and its got a lotta great tones!!!!!maybe its time for mojodrive!!!

2. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Whats the LDO????

3. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

i got the fever
    i got the fever
    i got the fever
    i got the fe-ver
    oh ba---by!!

by: Maxx Credit
    :p:p:p

4. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Oh...its the Landgraff...

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Are you sure it was a Honey Bee?

You mention 'crunch' and to me, the Bee has no 'crunch' at all - it's smooth fizz-like fuzz that's warm and thick. No bite to it and too smooth to = crunch in my book. EGDM? That can have some crunch ;)

And you say it was 50% like a Timmy? How so? To me they were night and day. HB was dynamic, Timmy wasn't. HB was smooth, Timmy was gritty. HB thickened your tone and rolled off highs, Timmy was neutral. HB sounds small and somewhat boxy, Timmy sounds open and uncompressed. So I'm interested to hear how they were similar!

What amp were you playing these pedals through? That may be interesting to know as well...

6. gregory49

gregory49 Member

did you stack them?? Greatest Blues Solo tone ever!

7. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

this might also be called "the $800 thread" :rolleyes:

anyway, I hope to get soon my HB...:dude

8. Sid

Sid Member

lol temme abt it...i did without the bee for 1 year...now i got the honey fetish:crazy

9. Sid

Sid Member

Wat I'm trying to say was...its the kinda crunch I like.....esp with a les paul:D...single coils not so much...but very few egs of crunch with a strat .....i dont find the bee fuzzy in any way.....it can get nasty but not fuzzy tone wise.....the egdm definitely sounds like crunch....and one would expect it to be....i guess more than crunch.....the honey bee is more kerrang!!but pushed with an ldo..its got some serious crunch....

Again, the opinions on the timmy and the bee....I dont concur....yea i agree that the timmy is more gritty,its definitely more neutral.....but I definitely didnt think the bee was boxy......i thought it was a great tube amp tone....the timmy sounds more open because it has some form of clean blend mixed in it...the gain is not open sounding to me....;)...what i meant was......they cab be dialled in to be kinda similar.....say in a band situation.....i can see them sound slightly similar.....but the two i think are the most different in the mids...i wont attempt to explain cos i cant...but i know thats where they are the most different!!atleast thats how i hear it.....they are nowhere same enough for me to not warrant owning them both.....love both of the sounds:JAM

10. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Thanks for the follow up Sid - I see where you're comin' from!

I still think the Bee sounds smaller and a bit boxy compared to the Timmy though! The Bee can give the illusion of being bigger because it can have gobs of low end. But that's just IMO and I'm sure we're running different rigs with different results!

-Ben

11. Sid

Sid Member

ya man....i agree with the bottom end, but i generally have a balanced eq with all my pedals so the bottom end shines through.......the timmy is my main pedal into a fender amp though....:D

I was trying it with a Les Paul(w/ Tesla buckers) into a fender vibroverb:D(thanks pedalitis)

12. KennethC

KennethC Member

Bro, what vol did you up the vibroverb to? Cos the vibroverb tends to break up pretty early, so I'm wondering if that also contributed to the tone you heard, or if it was plainly the pedal.

I love BJF pedals (tho I only own the DRD) too man. :D

13. Sid

Sid Member

I own only the dyna red as well...that might change soon....

well I can tell you it was pretty low volume....just above conversation levels.....

14. KennethC

KennethC Member

I remember Goose told me that to really test a pedal, you really gotta turn the amp up...

that's where the DRD really shines for me...when the clean portion is loud :)

You've got some really gd gear Sid... would love to try them out some day...

15. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Can you still order Honey Bees?

16. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

I got mine about a month ago from Custom Sounds in Finland. Smooth deal.

17. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

Ben and Sid could both be right--- the HB is very dynamic, it even has some dynamic EQ so depending on whats driving it and what speakers its going thru it could meet both description :YinYang

18. Sid

Sid Member

Goose is the master man.....and I completely agree with him.....since I havent been playing in a band for ages...I have a gries 5 at home which can be turned up in the bedroom(still bloody loud tho)....but I get great clean tones...the DRD rocks with the gries......

You are welcome to try my gear anytime man...I stay more towards the north.....

But seriously....too much gear too little talent from my side:crazy

19. Sid

Sid Member

Hey Donner,
    LOVE the mayo paintjob...thanks a bunch.....are you still working with HBs?