I just put a MM OT in a Peavey Delta blues........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Denny, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Denny

Denny Member

........I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears!!!! It's not even the same amp!!!!! What a difference. If you like the sound of the DB's, then you owe it to yourselves to put in a MM OT!! It's no my main amp, and I've just been holding on to it as a backup, but now I think it will definitely stay in this mans arsenal. Go Mercury magnetics!!!!!

Now I'm gonna put them in my Ceriatone 18 watt TMB and my Budda SDII 18-watt 1x12. already have one in my winfield too. It's the best $$ you can spend on an amp - MAJOR DIFFERENCE IN TONE!!!!!!!! Its not even marginal - like new tubes or speakers - the tone is indescribable!!! :drool

2. Wayne

Wayne Member

Congrats. I've had this same experience myself with a Mercury Magnetics output transformer.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Sounds like it was worth it judging from your enthusiasm! Indescribable? C'mon give us a bit of detail in the difference! Ive been thinking of trying a MM tranny in one of my amps but its a lot of money to plunk down. Bob

4. Denny

Denny Member

You're right - it IS a lot of money. I felt the same way when I bought my first one for my Winfield. I had my doubts as to "how good can this REALLY be" too. Well - It is very hard to describe for sure. the notes are much more defined, definition, full, the seem to "bloom", like comparing a black and white move to HD!!! The difference is THAT DIFFERENT. it doesn't change the tone of your amp - just makes it better. Much, Much better.

5. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

I've been contemplating putting a heyboer ot in my Palomino, is it straightforward or are there thicks to know first?

6. Denny

Denny Member

I can't speak for the Heyboer, but the MM's color coding and Peavey's color coding are slightly different. Get your info on the codes from Crate and then, when you get the Heyboer, call them if you have any questions. Good luck. (personally, id go for the MM - it's more expensive but well worth the extra IMHO).

D.

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

I've swapped OTs for MM in some amps and the difference has been incredibly marginal.

IMO, it all really depends on the amp and the original OT.

Glad you're happy with the change but it's certainly not a guaranteed huge improvement in sound for every amp.

8. Denny

Denny Member

9. OaklandA

OaklandA Silver Supporting Member

Confusing.....like a lot of things tone related. I've become very skeptical having tried so many of these miracle tone improvement fixes over the years.

So many times it's an Emperor's New Clothes deal where the only person hearing it is the one who shelled out the dough. Funny how many times on forums you see this and then a couple of months later the thing is in the classifieds.

Anyway...not slamming the OP by any means and apologies in advance if it seems that way. I have been tossing around the idea of trying the MM trannies, but my current financial situation has me cautious.

My hope is that people start doing before and after clips to see if there really is a difference and what it is. There's a YouTube clip on the Mercury Magnetic's Champion 600 upgrade, but that's a more extensive upgrade than just changing out the OT.

Has anyone done some before and after on just an OT upgrade?

10. xhavepatiencex

xhavepatiencex Member

I put a MM OT in my ac30cc2, I felt changing the tubes and coupling caps, as well as some of the minor tweaks posted on plexi palace did a lot more for the amp then the OT. Granted I did all the other stuff at once and the OT later.

11. Denny

Denny Member

I agree that it depends on what your are replacing - it it's a crappy OT, there will be a huge difference. In the DB, it has a pretty small OT and the difference was very noticeable. I think they are a bit overpriced though. and they pay a lot for advertising and exposure. I mean - how much can be done with wire and iron??? LOL

Next time I change an OT - I'm trying a different brand - just for sh*ts and giggles.

I'd like to compare 3 amps - all identical - one with the original OT, one with a MM , and the third one with another brand, and do an ABC test LIVE. That would be interesting.

12. Unabender

Unabender Member

Hmm... so would you say it sounds better or worse now? Or just different?

:)

13. Denny

Denny Member

I put one in my 18-watt Marshall clone and it's great. both amps definitely sound BETTER. richer, articulate, harmonically complex, like the difference between black and white and color.

14. Worshipguitar

Worshipguitar Member

My OT just blew on my Delta blues 2x10 so I'm looking for a replacement - can you give me some info about installation ? Is it drop in size replacement ? And what is the difference in the color codes?

15. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Don't waist your money on a MM.

16. Worshipguitar

Worshipguitar Member

I can't seem to find any stock or equivalent replacement options ?

17. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

snake oil imo

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  18. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

MM make some fantastic transformers.. don't forget that the power transformer also has an effect on the feel and headroom. You pay a little more for the MM but they use US steel not foreign sub par material.

19. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

Agreed ...

20. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

Peavey should have the original part in stock, in fact I'd be shocked if they didn't.

PEAVEY PARTS: 800-752-7896