1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I just realized that I'm happiest when all I have....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by somedude, Feb 2, 2008.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I just realized that I'm happiest when all I have is a Les Paul, a cord, and a single channel amp.

Don't get me wrong.... this isn't a pedal hate thread. I actually really like pedals, and I like what other dudes can do with them. For myself however pedals have always been a love/hate thing.

With pedals it's always a fight for me. Some pedals sound best through a clean amp, others through a dirty amp. Some sound good through a loud amp but suck through a quiet one. Others are the complete reverse. It's such a pain in the ass, particularly when you have your stuff dialed in to where you want it only to find out your settings don't work at a particular live venue and your tone goes to sh*t for the night.

On the other hand between the volume, tone and pickup selector on a Les Paul I can get pretty much everything I need out of my amplifier. I just dime the gain, set the master volume and forget about the amp for the rest of the gig.

Same goes for multi-channel amps. I generally don't like the change in tone I get when I switch from one channel to another. What I want is two channels that sound the same with different gain levels. I can't seem to get that out of most channel switchers but my volume knob does just that and more, and I get a way better clean/dirty transition out of my pickup selector than I do out of a channel switcher and treble pickup. I also don't like using pedals as 'channels'. I've tried it and I don't like the fact that I generally degrade to an 'all knobs on 10' approach to my guitar's tone/volume. It feels limiting and I find it frustrating.

Anyway, here's to good tone, regardless of how you get it. :BEER

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I agree, but I often need a clean boost for certain leads. Oh and we do this one song that REALLY needs fuzz. And we're thinking about adding some heavier stuff that would sound better with a Rat. Know what I mean?

I've come close, but I have not yet been in a band where I didn't need another shade or two of dirt than I could get with just my guitar's volume knob. I do prefer that approach though...the simpler the better.

Anyone want to start a Free/Bad Company/Cream/etc. band? (yeah, I know, 2/3 of TGP) ;)

3. somedude

somedude Member

That is exactly the source of my love/hate relationship.

I cover Rage Against the Machine's Bombtrack and Black Sabbath's Electric Funeral, both of which sound better with a wah.

And I play one song that really does sound better with a Big Muff type fuzz.

And sometimes it's nice to use a Phase 90 to add some movement.....

;)

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I agree. I have a bunch of pedals necessary for certain gigs and I'm a 90% single coil guy, but plugged directly into my Victoria and playing my guitar's volume control does it best for me.

5. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I'm happiest as well when there are no pedals. But I've never been in a band where I could get away with it. There are always songs that need certain fx.

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

You certainly got the Les Paul part right.

7. medwards1969

medwards1969 Member

Single Coil middle and/or neck Pickup => Effects => Clean Fender Amp w/Reverb - beautiful sounding

Bridge Humbucker => Non-master Marshall/clone => G12H30s

Set them up with a top quality A/B Box or rack-mounted multi-switcher and you have 98% of THE answer in the bag. The secret - each has different speakers. A Small Rack can support both rigs.

It takes two amps, two different kinds of speakers, one amp with spring reverb on board, one with no reverb on board.

Learn from Gilmour - Effects work with Clean Amps
    Learn from AC/DC - the Humbucker/Marshall combination is timeless

Is it too big? No - use ported 1x12s - there is no more excuse. It even fits in a car.

8. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i usually play with several effects but the other nite i played straight into my amp (cranked) and really dug it. i doubt i'd ever play a show without a pedal or two, but it was nice going back to the basics.

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I spent about two hours this afternoon with my Heritage H137 w/Lollar P90s going straight into my Clark Beaufort and I was in tonal heaven.
    I could take that rig to any of our gigs, but there are times when I really want some phaser or some wah, and occassionally a little delay, so I always end up taking the Fargen and the pedalboard.

10. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I'll admit, my favourite tone of all is my strat going into either my UG-30 or AC-15 twin while they're cranked! omg... NO pedal can touch that, IMO. I'm a delay guy, though, so all I'd personaly ever *need* is a guitar, two chords, a delay, and an amp. Maybe a looper. Like I said, favourite tone= strat into UG-30 or AC-15 cranked! The UG-30 doesn't even have to be cranked. The clean tones make me druel. Who needs pedals? :)

11. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

LP + Plexi + PPIMV +Greenbacks.:BEER
    I still need some boost, especially something that trims the bass since it causes the amp to fart.
    Always make sure you got quality cords...and shorter ones if possible. Cords suck more tone than a lot of people know about.

12. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

Amen.
    Just playing a nice instrument right out of the case is sometimes great.
    But when you go for purity & simplicity: whether cranked or subdued, pushing a little air and playing straight is always nice. When you get your guitar back from a set-up, re-strung, and your amp might've been recently tweaked or retubed: the sound can be an experience in & of itself.

13. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I really hate to say it because I LOVE buying/trying pedals but... the real foundation of great tone starts with the guitar/amp relationship. You must spend big bucks here and get this right and THEN build up the needed effects or you will chase your tail for a long time until you end up here anyway. I have a wonderfully set up strat, but I still have to get the right amps. The 1971 Fender Princeton Reverb w/12" Weber alnico ( bias kit and good tubes ) and a fully modified BillM Fender Blues JR w/nos tubes and California Weber ceramic is not what I always use.. its just what I own right now.

I am very interested in one of those custom 59 Bassmans like the Victoria amp mentioned above. Maybe a Mesa Boogie Lonestar. Or a DrZ Z28 with 4x10 cabinet. Or... or... ( $$$ yet to be spent. ;-)

In order of importance of tone: Guitar - Amp - Effects - Cables