• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I just recieved a pedal with no labels for the controls? How do you feel about this?

moderndrummer

I just recieved a 3 knob overdrive that has gain tone and volume controls
but each knob has zero name telling you its function.

At first I was thinking WTF....

now i am used to it and kind of like it. I dont know why it makes me feel on the edge. :)

your thoughts about pedals like this?

jbgordon

I just got a Burst Eternity, which has no labels. It really doesn't bother me that much, and I honestly like the clean look that it gives the pedal. I really like simplicity, so that does it for me.

I guess if it were a pedal that had 5 knobs or something, and had no labels, that would be a bit frustrating.

Aussie Mike

Probably more effective to plug in and turn the knobs than to read an explanation of what they do.

Didn't John Lennon say "[SIZE=-1]Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"?[/SIZE]

Tonefish

Gold Supporting Member
As long as there's not too many knobs, it may actually be a good thing....to force you to play with the knobs and really get to know the pedal.

jbgordon

I think it does force you to really get to know the pedal, but I at least like to have some clue as to what each knob is supposed to control.

Ben C.

After a little while, I don't think anyone reads the labels on their labeled pedals anymore anyway... so there's no difference between unlabeled and labeled except during the initial, experimental learning period.
Personally, I don't care either way, and for aesthetic reasons have ordered several pedals in the past (and present!) without any labeling.
Ultimately, this all depends on the complexity of the pedal of course, and in general I think for practical purposes pedals should have labels. Eliminates confusion and the need for explanation when it inevitably changes hands.

i have an early tone freak abunai that on which none of the knobs were labeled. kinda liked it because i just dialed in a sound a dug. it was only afterwards that i realized i had the volume and gain pots mixed up and realized i was using it for an awesome sounding clean boost....

D.G.

I have 50 knobs/switches on my board, NOT counting the on/off switches. I need those labels!

r080

I built the runoff groove English Channel and never bothered to label the 5 knobs. I don't like it, I should fix it.

lcjc800

I saw a version of the LovePedal Eternity that was labeled once, but no other of Sean's have I seen labeled, not that they're complicated. My CoT Gold is blank and to be honest I forgot what's what. I'm OLD!:eek:

MattHahn

no problem with that in general..
funny story is that i once made a unlabeled custom drive pedal for a guy wich had three controls from left to right drive, tone, output...looks like he didnt get it right cause the next time i visited him and played his rig i noticed that he used the output as "drive" and drive as "output".More of a boost than drive but sounded good..and he loves it.

Uma Floresta

I just recieved a 3 knob overdrive that has gain tone and volume controls
but each knob has zero name telling you its function.

At first I was thinking WTF....

now i am used to it and kind of like it. I dont know why it makes me feel on the edge. :)

your thoughts about pedals like this?
For a simple OD, I don't think it matters - most of my dirt pedals have no labels. But for something complex, the knobs should be labeled.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom