I just recieved a pedal with no labels for the controls? How do you feel about this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by moderndrummer, Jan 12, 2008.

1. moderndrummer

moderndrummer Member

I just recieved a 3 knob overdrive that has gain tone and volume controls
    but each knob has zero name telling you its function.

At first I was thinking WTF....

now i am used to it and kind of like it. I dont know why it makes me feel on the edge. :)

your thoughts about pedals like this?

2. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I just got a Burst Eternity, which has no labels. It really doesn't bother me that much, and I honestly like the clean look that it gives the pedal. I really like simplicity, so that does it for me.

I guess if it were a pedal that had 5 knobs or something, and had no labels, that would be a bit frustrating.

3. Aussie Mike

Aussie Mike Member

Probably more effective to plug in and turn the knobs than to read an explanation of what they do.

Didn't John Lennon say "[SIZE=-1]Writing about music is like dancing about architecture"?[/SIZE]

4. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

As long as there's not too many knobs, it may actually be a good thing....to force you to play with the knobs and really get to know the pedal.

5. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I think it does force you to really get to know the pedal, but I at least like to have some clue as to what each knob is supposed to control.

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

After a little while, I don't think anyone reads the labels on their labeled pedals anymore anyway... so there's no difference between unlabeled and labeled except during the initial, experimental learning period.
    Personally, I don't care either way, and for aesthetic reasons have ordered several pedals in the past (and present!) without any labeling.
    Ultimately, this all depends on the complexity of the pedal of course, and in general I think for practical purposes pedals should have labels. Eliminates confusion and the need for explanation when it inevitably changes hands.

7. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I tppk akk thw letterd odd mt keyboarf. it majed mw fwwl lije a reak outlsw.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yea, but it forces you to try out new spellings on the keyboard! Free your mind, baby! :p

9. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i have an early tone freak abunai that on which none of the knobs were labeled. kinda liked it because i just dialed in a sound a dug. it was only afterwards that i realized i had the volume and gain pots mixed up and realized i was using it for an awesome sounding clean boost....

10. D.G.

D.G. Member

I have 50 knobs/switches on my board, NOT counting the on/off switches. I need those labels!

11. jb1911

jb1911 Member

I don't care one way or the other.

12. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

13. jw112

jw112 Member

i like it. i'm having a couple of builders custom build me their pedals this way

14. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

In a way, it forces you to discover your tone by ears.

15. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Yes, indeed.
    Use your ears.
    Have several pedals with this "feature".
    Frustrating at first. Ultimately, a great exercise in personal preference.
    Ears.

16. r080

r080 Member

I built the runoff groove English Channel and never bothered to label the 5 knobs. I don't like it, I should fix it.

17. xroads

xroads Member

I don't like it at all.

18. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I saw a version of the LovePedal Eternity that was labeled once, but no other of Sean's have I seen labeled, not that they're complicated. My CoT Gold is blank and to be honest I forgot what's what. I'm OLD!:eek:

19. MattHahn

MattHahn Senior Member

no problem with that in general..
    funny story is that i once made a unlabeled custom drive pedal for a guy wich had three controls from left to right drive, tone, output...looks like he didnt get it right cause the next time i visited him and played his rig i noticed that he used the output as "drive" and drive as "output".More of a boost than drive but sounded good..and he loves it.

20. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

For a simple OD, I don't think it matters - most of my dirt pedals have no labels. But for something complex, the knobs should be labeled.