1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

I just recorded a new song, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tonybologna000, May 18, 2011.

1. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

So this is the second song I've ever fully recorded.
    http://www.facebook.com/shepherdspieband?v=app_178091127385
    It's by my band, Shepherd's Pie. It's the first song I've recorded real drums for. The song's called 'Treehouse'. What do you think of my recording technique/the song in general? Thanks!

2. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

By the way, vocals were recorded with an AT2035, acoustic guitar with matched pair of RODE NT5's. Electric guitars were a Gibson Smartwood Les Paul and a USA Strat, both through a Bogner Shiva into an Avatar cabinet with 2 Celestion vintage 30's, recorded by an sm57.
    For kick drum, and Audix D6, Overheads were the same aformentioned RODE NT5s, snare was an SM57, toms were recorded by a cheap set of CAE drum mics (i foget what type, they were borrowed) and I used the AT2035 for a room mic as well.
    The bass guitar, i recorded direct-in with Ampeg amp emulation software. All mics went into a MOTU 8pre. I used Cubase 5.
    --This is in case anybody wants the geeky details!

3. small axe

small axe Member

like the verses with the reggae feel, maybe it reggaebillyrock.....the recording can be tweaked...keep it up

4. stubbyJ

stubbyJ Supporting Member

Cooleo. Kinda reminds me of Primus, believe it or not.

I like the fresh perspective on typical styles.

5. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

Thanks guys! Keep the comments coming. Anybody have any specific advice for tweaking the recording?

6. B Money

B Money Member

i dig it. That's a bizzare, unique sounding verse. The instrumentation is quirky in a good way.
    The toms sound kinda flat to me. In fact, all the drums could stand some eq, and I'd bring them up in the mix. The bass is a busy part and is hogging up lots of the low end. I'd like more kick drum.
    The rockin' part is cool, and the loudest guitar tone is nice.

Generally speaking I think it sounds very good for a self-produced demo.

7. tonybologna000

tonybologna000 Member

Thanks for the tips! I boosted the snare and kick drum a bit, then raised the level of all the drum tracks a good amount. I re-eq'd the toms to have more low-end and also added a bit of reverb to the tom tracks. I added a touch of delay to the main vocal track and the guitar solo track too. Finally, I slightly adjusted the bass guitar eq. Here's the result:
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/shepherds-pie/treehouse[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    Better? Thanks!

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  8. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Editing. . .Perhaps some of the timing issues could be cleaned up. Low shelve on the bass. More separation of the sounds via eq. . .Add a little something like compression, delay and reverb on the voice at :41, 1:41, etc. . .Overall, it's a good attempt for your second song.