• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I just replaced my Boss RV6 with...

Tidbit

A big box Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail. :oops:

I just really needed simplicity. Am I banned from this sub forum?

monty

I still like my RV6, but the HG is cool too for vibe and the fact it doesn't sound as good as far as the reverb goes compared the the Boss. It really has it's own thing going on.

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I have my RV-6 paired with my DM-2W on my Nano board, with both effects used in the loop of my JCM800, and I think it's a wonderful, simple pedal. It has a lot of reverb options, but functionally it's pretty simple and it sounds great, IMO. I love the plate reverb on the RV-6. I love reverb in general though--one of my favorite effects. I use a Ventris on my main board, but that's a separate conversation.

I can see the appeal of the Holy Grail though. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Tidbit

I still like my RV6, but the HG is cool too for vibe and the fact it doesn't sound as good as far as the reverb goes compared the the Boss. It really has it's own thing going on.
Yeah. The Boss is certainly more advanced but I usually just use a touch of verb live so I never used all of the features and the single knob on the HG appealed to me for live use. I actually like the sound (on the low setting).

metrokosmiko

community astrologer
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah. The Boss is certainly more advanced but I usually just use a touch of verb live so I never used all of the features and the single knob on the HG appealed to me for live use. I actually like the sound (on the low setting).

Why the big box and not the Nano?

NortheastHick

Silver Supporting Member
In a roundabout way I replaced my RV 6 with the Behringer copy. I'd like to get another Boss. The RV 6 is a really good pedal, the Behringer is a good clone but it is built like crap, and looks even worse.

Tidbit

Why the big box and not the Nano?
A friend had the big box. Refurbished with a 1/4” jack and some other “fix”. I heard it about a year ago and liked the sound and ease of use. On a dark stage, I couldn’t see my RV6.
He let me borrow it a few weeks ago and, after I still liked it, I traded him some work for it. I just put it on my gig board yesterday.
There’s no cool factor or cutting edge to it. It’s totally utilitarian.

bigtone23

Yeah but with none of the fancy features most people demand these days. It’s archaic and I’m digging it. Saturday will be the “gig” test.
It's still a pedal with more variance than the reverb on amps, which is even more archaic since there isn't three modes to choose from.

Tidbit

It's still a pedal with more variance than the reverb on amps, which is even more archaic since there isn't three modes to choose from.
I’ve been only using the Hall. Spring sound “ok” bit my main gigging amp is a 2203 so spring seems a little “out of place” plus I never really used that setting with my Hall of Fame or Boss reverb. I’m not even sure what Flerb is all about but I don’t need that either.
Just a touch of Hall and I’m all set.

bigtone23

I’ve been only using the Hall. Spring sound “ok” bit my main gigging amp is a 2203 so spring seems a little “out of place” plus I never really used that setting with my Hall of Fame or Boss reverb. I’m not even sure what Flerb is all about but I don’t need that either.
Just a touch of Hall and I’m all set.
I get ya! It's kind of like cable TV, hundreds of channels, but not much interesting programming at all.
Most of my amps don't have reverb. I got used to not having it. My amps that do have it are set so low that the verb is lost once i'm in a mix or band situation.
I have a couple pedals, though, an RV2 and FRV1. I only really like the plate settings on the RV2. When using the surf approved 6 6 6 settings on the FRV1, it is rather over the top, but when set more subtly, it's OK. Honestly, the only reason I have them is because they were found for stupid bargain prices ($50 and $70) and I like BOSS, so it made sense to have them in my arsenal. The RV2 was the first reverb pedal (and useful for non spring stuff) and the FRV1 is a classic which is great for the springy stuff.

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
I love my RV-6 but sort of hate that it makes checking out new reverb pedals a useless endeavor. It just works so perfectly in Room, Plate, Spring, and Mod settings that it really does it all.

The ONLY negative I'd have is I wish it had a wider, more interesting stereo field when used in stereo. I use it mono most of the time, so not a deal breaker. Would be nice though. Otherwise, perfection.

Neptical

Reverb fan here!
I have and still use the Oceans 11 ever since it came out. That pedal sounds fantastic, especially through a clean amp. Never had a Holy Grail - but always had my eye on one as well as the Cathedral. Don't really see much talk of that one anymore. RV-6 may have to get on the list at some point.

Tidbit

I love my RV-6 but sort of hate that it makes checking out new reverb pedals a useless endeavor. It just works so perfectly in Room, Plate, Spring, and Mod settings that it really does it all.

The ONLY negative I'd have is I wish it had a wider, more interesting stereo field when used in stereo. I use it mono most of the time, so not a deal breaker. Would be nice though. Otherwise, perfection.
I think the RV6 sounds great, don’t get me wrong. It’s just that, I’m the middle of trying to play guitar, sing and monitor the pa, it was just too much for me to see and make any adjustments on the fly. Especially since I only use a touch of reverb love anyway. One big dumb knob is really all I need.

Tidbit

Reverb fan here!
I have and still use the Oceans 11 ever since it came out. That pedal sounds fantastic, especially through a clean amp. Never had a Holy Grail - but always had my eye on one as well as the Cathedral. Don't really see much talk of that one anymore. RV-6 may have to get on the list at some point.

My buddy has an oceans 11. Sounds fantastic. He uses reverb way more than I do.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom