I just top-wrapped my Lester, and I'm not sure I like it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ugacrow, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

And I haven't plugged it in yet to see the difference there, but the strings just feel looser, soggier, and more rubber-band like to me. Not sure I'm gonna like this.

Anyone else had this problem with the top-wrap? I feel like everyone who tries it swears by it. Trying to make sure my mind isn't making things up.

2. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Maybe try going up a gauge. I compinsated the extra slack by going from 10's to 11's and am happier now with my tone/feel than ever before.

3. edward

edward Supporting Member

It's not a "problem" ...that IS the result of topwrapping. Either you like it or not.

As mentioned, you could try upping a gauge, but that may also change your tone, not to mention prob necessitate a truss rod adjustment. But the bottom line is it's not for everyone. Me? I love it and will never go back; both for the looser feel (I play 11s normally) and for the increased comfort at my right hand when palm muting. Ultimately, to each his own :)

Edward

4. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I used to have an LP and I tried top wrapping once (on the suggestion of a friend)......it didnt take me long to figure out that I didnt like it...like you, I did not like the "spongy" feeling strings.......no biggie.....some people like it, some dont.....and its easy to revert back.....

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I hate that soggy feel. You lose some snap to the strings and it's slower responding. I don't know why anyone would like that.

6. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I tried it and didn't care for it.

7. scoob

scoob Member

I had it like that for a while too...eventually, I decided I didn't like it. I noticed more problems keeping it in tune. That maybe just my guitar...but I went back to underwrap.

8. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Or you can be like me and have the best of both worlds!
    One of my SGs are top-wrapped, the other is strung the normal way.. :YinYang

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

hated it. it made my paul feel like it had a trapeze tailpiece. now i use pot nuts and washers under the tailpiece studs of overly steep-angled gibsons so i can lock the stop bar studs tight against the body while keeping the string angle from being too steep with normal stringing.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I top wrap and play 11-52 strings on my Lester. No complaints.

11. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I am in the group that tried the top wrap and didn't like it.

But, I also tried a lightweight tailpiece and will never look back!

Also, I converted my ABR-1 bridge posts to stainless steel and will never change back, either.

12. FishingBen

FishingBen Member

I switched to top wrap and I like it. I Didn't go up a guage either. In fact I play 9's with a top wrap and I feel its the ultimately lazy hands kinda feel. I don't want to work any harder than I have to and this just feels comfy like an old pair of jeans. Actually, as lazy as My hands play, I should probably say old sweatpants. You just don't have to dig or struggle for nothing.

13. RichieRich

RichieRich Senior Member

14. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

[​IMG]

:rotflmao

15. Lammy

Lammy Member

2nd living colour reference in as many days. That show was great.

16. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Whether you like it seems to have more to do with the spacing of the bridge and tailpiece than anything else. On my '59 dot neck ES-335, the stud tailpiece is so close to the bridge that you just about have to top wrap it, otherwise it bends really stiff w/ 10's.

When you do top wrap it feels way better. If your tailpiece is in the right spot (and Gibson's QC is better now - through the years there has been some pretty wide variation in the location of the tailpiece relative to the bridge) then top wrapping may not help anything for you.

If your tailpiece is too close to the bridge, like say, 1"-1.6" away, top wrapping helps. Another way to look at it is: if the strings touch the back of the bridge on their way down to the tailpiece when the tailpiece is screwed all the way down on the body, you may benefit from top wrapping. If the strings clear the back of the bridge, you tailpiece is in the right place and you may not see as much benefit from top wrapping.

In my opinion, Dana O.

17. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I'm glad somebody got what I was saying! Easily one of my favorite series ever on the television. For Labor Day me and the family sat around and watched the first season on DVD. :D

18. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

Yeah, I play 11's, and I almost feel like I'd have to go up to 12's to make this feel good... although that could potentially better my tone some.

19. MartinC

MartinC Member

Pardon my ignorance ... what's top-wrapping?

20. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

running the strings out the back end of the stop tailpiece and then up and over the top of the tailpiece.