1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

I just tried a T-Rex Replica.....OMG!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by celestion101, Sep 14, 2005.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

James from Bad Cat let me try his T-Rex Replica out and this thing sounds incredible! I hate the wal-wart though and wish it worked with my Pedalpower 2. Other than that, I would love to use one of these. I like my DL-4 as far as versatility, but it takes up a lot of real estate on the board. I'm looking for something versatile, but smaller (and PP2 friendly). I may have to make consessions though because this T-Rex will be hard to beat!:dude

2. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I thought the T Rex was the best digital delay I had played. I was impressed by it. I also like the Maxon AD900 and I played an AD999 side by side with the T. Rex. I thought the rex was clearer and more versatile. But way too much money at the time....

I hope the Memory Lane measures up. I just ordered one.

3. celestion101

I'm sure your memory is accurate. I expected to maybe like it, but I absolutely loved it! Congrats on the purchase. :cool:

4. exodus

exodus Member

does the t-rex replica do the self oscillation thing?

5. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Hi Rick,

As always, YMMV and mine did vary - I tried the Replica at the Frankfurt music fair and was unimpressed. It affected the base tone in a bad way (sort of muffled and loss of headroom) when switched on so that it was unuseable for me.

Chris

6. celestion101

Hi,
    I didn't notice that. Which amp did you try it with? I used my Divided By 13 FTR37 with a few OD pedals. With the level knob, I could dial it in where it was a smooth transition between off and on.

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

This was my experience as well. I just didn't care for the coloration of my tone when the Replica was on - a bit darker with a slight bump in the mids. Many folks dig the way it sounds though - it just didn't work for me. For digital delay with tap tempo in a pedal the DLS EchoTAP made the cut for me.

8. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

It was with a TRex amp that they had on their stand at the music fair... don't remember anything about the topology tho' I'm afraid. Sorry.

Chris

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

I think I very loosly remember that amp...based on an AC30 I think...I also remember demoing that pedal but don't remember what it sounded like...never a good sign;)

In fact wasn't I playing while you were turning knobs??

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

no

one of the things I hated about the pedal. The delay doesn't spill over when you turn it off either. It just stops.

The pedal also glitches when you jump from delay time to delay time if you have a repeat running.

I have a memory lane now and love it.

Personally I like the DD5 better than the T-rex. At least with the DD5 I can choose repeat intervals.

11. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Yes sir! That would be me!

Chris

12. JoyfulNoise

JoyfulNoise Member

If you really hate the wall wart, you can try and find the first version that was released of the Replica.

The original Replica featured an internal transformer and an fixed extermal power cord. The original version of the Replica also had 2000msec of delay time vs. the 1550msec of the current wall wart version. This is why you'll see different max delay times of the Replica, because some stores haven't updated the data on the Replica and left the original specs posted on their website. I don't know if there is any difference in sound from the first release and the current release, maybe someone who has both versions can chime in.

13. celestion101

Cool, I'll lookout for one. On the other hand, I'm reading what these guys are saying and perhaps I need a second listen! I have pretty descerning ears (it's my job...see sig) and didn't notcie the things that they've said. That said, I tried it for 10 minutes and not at a gig. I just want something smaller than the DL4. Maybe this Diamond that I keep hearing about? Thanks!:cool:

14. KLB

KLB Member

The new TC Electronic delay pedal appears to be a repackaged T-Rex Replica.

Many of the other new TC pedals look like T-Rex pedals, too.

I like and use the Replica, though it can be a bit dark and deep. I never use Brown mode.

15. cerebralpaul

cerebralpaul Member

Has anyone compared the Replica to the Blackbox Quicksilver? I have the QS, and like it quite a bit but I've always been curious as to how it would stack up to the Replica.

16. SQUAREHEAD

SQUAREHEAD Supporting Member

In my Bogner 100B Ecstasy the DD5 sounds like garbage compared to the T Rex delay. It is soooo clean and transparent, just beautiful!!!
    Now, in my other amps, with Parallel loops, the DD5 works very well.
    But in a serial loop, the T Rex is the winner by a long shot!... unless you don't care about keeping your amp's tone intact, of course.

17. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I really like my Replica. I put some big knobs on the delay and repeats pots so I can spin them with my foot. Lot's of control and great sound in a relatively small package.

18. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

I just got mine today, and will see if that is an issue. However, let it be said that the "brown" switch is SUPPOSED to do that. It allegedly make it sound more like a tape echo. Did you have the same results with the brown switch on and off?

-jm

19. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Well, I hooked it up and wailed away at it. I have to say it is the nicest stomp box echo I've played. Very clean!

With regards to "muffled and loss of headroom" I can say that I could make it do it with the "brown" on, but that is as intended.

Where was your level set at? If that was too high, it is possible that it was distorting due to being over driven. Were there other pedals in front of it that may have been messing with the input level?

FYI, I was using it as a stomp box, in front of the amp. Never got around to trying it in the effects loop. I was enjoying it too much.

-jm

20. Madsman

Madsman Member

My delay search seems to have stopped at Memory Lane.
    The only other pedals I'm even interested in are the EchoCzar and the Moog.

If I want something in an effects loop, I'll use a rack. No pedal in a loop is going to beat Eventide, Lexicon, or TC for my money.