I keep posting it with no replies..Thrash Metal

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MONSTER ZERO, Apr 27, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Here's my ad. I have posted it a few times the last month or so. Well a few different iterations of it. Is Metal really that passe'?

"Hey we are a few older dudes looking for a drummer that wants to play Old School Thrash but with a modern twist and some speed/death elements. Actually I hate labeling things but Thrash was the closest I could come to describe the stuff we are writing.

We are easy going and have a great jam spot with PA and a drum kit. You'd have to bring your own cymbals and kick pedal but the kit is there for you to use. If you play another instrument too all the better you can jump in on the writing process.

What we are looking for in a drummer.

Good attitude
    No serious drug/drinking problems
    Double kick ability
    Loves Thrash music like Slayer, Havok, Exodus, Testament etc..
    Wants to do mainly original stuff

We have two covers we want you to know before coming down so we can jam out.

Black magic - Slayer
    Die by The Sword - Slayer"

Maybe I'm wording it wrong or something. Maybe being mid 40's to 50's is a bad age for Metal I dunno? I would think we'd get at least one hit. This is a side project I'm trying to do. All we need is a damn drummer! Frustrating!

2. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

3. luckbydesign

luckbydesign Member

Maybe take out the drinking/drug issue thing? Could be scaring off potentials who don't have the same definition as problem that you do.

ETA the good attitude thing might be a sticky point for some people. I would hate to feel like I'd have to be happy all the time, lest I be removed from the band.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Serious drug or drinking problem by whose definition?

5. Belmont

Belmont Member

most people are done with metal by that age, and thrash won't attract younger players.
    I use to play in death metal bands and enjoyed it at the time, but I can't relate to it anymore.
    I still like some new metal bands, but i'm very selective, not a "true" metal head I guess.

6. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Some good feedback here. Think I'm going to remove the drug/drinking thing or re-word it. It does leave a lot of room for people to define it however they want. I just dont want junkies or severe drunks in my jam room. I have over 30k of gear in there.

7. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

HAHA!!! Sure as soon as he walked in the door I'd probably pass out.

HE IS A GOD!!

8. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

If you said you were doing covers i bet you would get more replies.
    Try that and once you have your guy, then introduce the original idea.

9. Bogner

Bogner Member

As I read the ad I thought of it being a bunch of kids getting together for a hang out session. I would never initially suspect it was 40 to 50 year olds. Nothing about the ad comes across as professional or really focused IMO. A proper drummer sure better have their own drum kit. Play another instrument too??? Do you need a drummer or a band? Your ad isn't focused on the right things and too focused on the wrong things. It comes across as very casual and flippant and I doubt any really serious, proper musician would gravitate towards such a thing as it could be perceived as a waste of time to them.

I know my response is direct, meant to help, not hurt but that is what I immediately felt when reading your initial post. :)

10. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I don't know anything about playing thrash or the people that play it, but I won't respond to any ad that uses the word "jam". Maybe incorrectly, but that tells me no talent and not serious. Bogner summed it up well.

11. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

Thrash metal band looking for drummer with-
    Positive attitude/no drama
    No drugs/no alcoholics
    Good technique and time a must
    Interested in performing original music, with some covers

12. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Thats pretty good.

13. kimock

kimock Member

Sounds great, what's the pay?

14. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

That was my initial reaction. The older dudes/originals combo is a tough sell.

15. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

Biggerstaff has it right. It would have to be a labor of love. Nothing wrong with that as long as everyone is having a great time! Finding older guys who want to do metal is a tough one.

16. speedemon

speedemon Member

Tons of startup rock bands looking for a drummer. You are in a very big club. There is not necc. anything wrong with your ad, classifieds don't bring the needle out of the haystack. You could compare it to stars aligning. It's a long wait. I outright offered pay, and still got 0 responses, ended up paying someone I had been in a band with already.

17. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

gotta point out that not a lot of 40-50 year old drummers can keep that kind of pace up for a whole show. younger guys will most likely want to play with band members the same age give or take.

18. stevel

stevel Member

Yes, you're doing it wrong.

Put this:

Metal Drummer Wanted

Drummer wanted for Old School Thrash Metal band playing material in the vein of Slayer, Havok, [and the others you mention].

We have rehearsal space and PA.

That's it.

I wasn't going to say this, but since others have breached the subject:

It sounds like old, immature guys, looking to relive their glory days and not be serious about gigging.

Starting with "hey" is a turn off - sounds like what my college students use to begin a conversation. "dudes" - are you 420 friendly? cool man. "Jam". This one sends shivers up my spine. When people say "that's my jam", or use the word "jam" in any musical context outside of an actual jam or jam band (i.e. referring to a song, or practice, as a "jam") it automatically tells me they're, well, let me be nice and say not serious. "Dude, come over to my crib and let's jam on some old school thrash...you bring the weed".

We've got this local guy who posts daily on CL, each day with a different title. He's got 24 pictures. Half of them are of pointy guitars. The other half are of old beat-up pieces of equipment or "custom" guitars that are EVH rip-off electrical tape jokes. His ad is full of "none of this, none of that".

Then he's got links to some vids of him playing. One is a "blues", complete with heavy metal tone and wrong numbers of beats per measure. Another is him play in a country band, complete with heavy metal tone. Another is something he describes as "country with a metal edge".

The picture of this guy couldn't be clearer to me.

Unfortunately, that's the gist I got from your ad as well.

It's TMI. Any good drummer is going to bring their kit down. You can offer on the phone, but in the ad is bad. Likewise, if they're responding to this, they're going play double pedal. It's kind of like saying "metal guitarist wanted, must be able to chug on low E string".

And what are your plans for this? 40-50 year olds writing songs - what, do you think you're going to "make it"?

The other posters are right - by that age, most of us have grown up.

Would I play in a thrash metal band (I'm 47) Absolutely. If I'm making $200 a night.

But I'm not going to go over someone's house and spend all kinds of time writing thrash song with no promise of return on investment. In order do that, I want to see the books.

19. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I miss my Thrash days... LOL..

I had the privilege of playing with two seriously awesome thrash drummers:

Joaquin Revuelta and Rob Alaniz.

Rob has gone on to do some serious thrash drumming and I believe is for hire:

http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Rob_Alaniz/15917

Tel him that Carl from the hood' referred you....

20. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

hey thanks for taking the time to type all that out. I agree it should be shorter.