I knew of them back when…..

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Amplifier Owner, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

I remember Green Day playing a bar the night after we did. The next week, they were all over MTV.

84superchamp and shane8 like this.
  2. fe911

fe911 Member

I knew a local sound guy that did the sound for my brothers band back in the day. He had a regular gig at a nightclub that had another room that they did live music at. He was a really good guy. He would let us tag along to shows, and told the owners that we were part of his crew. He had a really good reputation and did a really good job. We would show up early and help set things up, we didn't really do anything.... get some free drinks and skip the cover. Saw bands I would never make an effort to go see, because we were there early we would talk to the bands too. That was pretty cool! Small place, maybe room for a hundred tops.
    One night , it was N.W.A. This was literally a week or two before they blew up and started playing stadiums. Remember talking to them, they seemed pretty cool. Don't remember much else, just that they were loud and it was hard to really tell what they were saying?

Amplifier Owner likes this.
  3. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Yup. Good times.

4. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Absolutely! I stay in touch with Larry via FB, he gigs with Terry Luttrell in the Tons of Fun Band. I think I remember Jeff Hall being the bass player for Silver Bullet, I still have one of their Blytham glossy B&W promo pics.
    I worked with John Ruud building CV's first system cabinets (18" double folded horn bins), the one's used on Bostons first tour. Those were the days!

5. Geppetto

Geppetto Member

Saw then-semi-known Kiss in St. Louis as part of the KSHE-FM radio station's "birthday party" circa 1974. Captain Neil Merryweather and the Space Rangers, T-Rex also played at the same event. Saw Pure Prairie League perform at a local high school gym (Kirkwood, I think) around that same time.

sanrico likes this.
  6. Tom F

Tom F Member

My dad always tells the story that he was playing a county fair in roughly 1993-1994. A man pulled up in an old white van and tiny pull-behind trailer. He approached my dad and asked if he could get up on stage to announce his performance later that night at the fair. It was (then) little known Toby Keith supporting his debut album.

Amplifier Owner likes this.
  7. dinocicerelli

dinocicerelli Member

An RCMP officer named Don Cook used to harass me when I was a kid on a dirt bike. I never stopped for him. Always gave him a run. He used to get so mad.
    Anyway, he played drums for April Wine, before they were April Wine

Mngwa, Nevets, fretless and 1 other person like this.
  8. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Not my story, I'm not that old, but a friends uncle and a few friends were drinking beer and shooting pool
    in a bar off US40 in Havre De Grace, Md. and who should walk in but the King of Rock & Roll himself and
    his band on the way to NYC for their first Ed Sullivan show.

After lunch the band set up in the bar and ran thru a set, packed up, and went on their way to fame.

fretless and Amplifier Owner like this.
  9. broken_sound

broken_sound Member

I went to High School with Trivium and played a battle of the bands with them.....they of course won.

cheapgtrs, shane8, fretless and 2 others like this.
  10. aldridt1

aldridt1 Member

I was at GIT with Pete Thorn.....must have been 90 or 91.

Layne-o and Amplifier Owner like this.
  11. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

....US40 in Havre De Grace, Md. and who should walk in but the King of Rock & Roll himself and
    his band on the way to NYC for their first Ed Sullivan show.
    .[/QUOTE]

That would be:
    Chuck?
    Long John Baldry?
    Elvis?

84superchamp and claudel like this.
  12. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I grew up with Omar Rodriguez from At the Drive in/Mars Volta.

His dad and my mom worked together. One year he and I were set up to "jam" at a Christmas party because we'd both gotten instruments as gifts. Me a guitar, he a Steinberger bass.

We'd only had them for a couple of days and knew nothing. We played video games instead.

We played some shows together in high school, shared some girlfriends...about junior(mine) year his band hit the road and that was that!

Layne-o, sanrico, A-Bone and 3 others like this.
  13. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

That would be:
    Chuck?
    Long John Baldry?
    Elvis?[/QUOTE]

One of those three...

Were either of the other two even ever on the Ed show?

fretless likes this.
  14. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

Growing up in Burlington, VT, I saw Phish a number of times for free (at the "legendary" Nectar's) in the mid to late 80's. I was shocked when I was living in Phoenix a few years later ('93 I think) and learned that a couple of my music school classmates were really into them, and they were playing a fairly large venue (~1500 seats or something).

Don't know if it counts, but I also heard a few tunes off the first Strokes album before it was released (a friend worked with them).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Layne-o, Mngwa and Amplifier Owner like this.
  15. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Worked in a music store in Memphis in the early 80s .... one of our occasional customers was Shawn Lane .. we were the same age ... nice guy .... one of his bands practiced up the street from my house occasionally

I visited his house once ... somewhere I have a cassette he put together for me .... it has some Ted Greene on it and his recording of him playing a classical piece ...a solo clarinet concerto piece with a full orchestra IIRC ... he would go to the local library, check out the classical practice records with the background music for solo instruments and play the solo parts on his guitar

Wish I had gotten to know him better

:banana

16. shane8

shane8 Member

I saw INXS @ a "joint effort" in the bar @ Uni of queensland when they were a bar band.

17. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I knew Dave Matthews and Boyd Tinsley in their pre-DMB days. Dave was a bartender and I auditioned for a band Boyd was starting, but didn't get the gig. I have no idea if they'd remember me.

I had friends that knew Bruce Hornsby and I knew his brother John when he was in law school.

Layne-o and Killed_by_Death like this.
  18. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

What band were you in? I guess you can figure out mine.

19. Stratofuzz

Stratofuzz Supporting Member

Opened up for all of these bands before they became someone to write home about...

Reverend Horton Heat
    Chris Issak
    4 Non-Blondes
    Urge Overkill
    Himalayas (became Counting Crows)
    Smash Mouth (Greg Camp, the guitarist, used to bartend at club called Toons that our drummer worked the door at.)

A-Bone likes this.
  20. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

That would've been around the same time we saw TK, opening for Billy Dean.