I know it's a week late, but please explain the Grammys

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by zep41, Feb 12, 2015.

1. zep41

zep41 Member

I have to admit, I know nothing about the Grammy awards - never really watched them in the past or paid attention to who was nominated, etc. Well I watched the awards this year and I am a little confused. Here are my questions:

1. How are the "best" this and that awards determined?

2. Who really runs this award show?

3. After a quick historical look at past winners and nominees, why was so much good music completely ignored? I mean just look at nominees from 1967-1972. ???

4. Are there any biases towards certain acts? Do the powers that be favor certain musicians? If so, why?

5. Can record companies and other high ups manipulate the awards?

6. Is this all just a marketing ad for what the "powers that be" want to sell?

I know these might be silly questions but I really just don't get it. I watched the whole awards show and it just felt like it was not genuine and tons of really good music does not even get represented. Confusing, but there's probably a good reason why.

Just looking for some insight.

2. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Member

I think the Grammys are pushing themselves into being completely irrelevant.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

The Recording Academy, an industry group.

Keep this in mind - it's awards for the music industry, not music.

Voting members are the people who choose:

Voting Member
    This classification is for creative and technical professionals who qualify in at least one of the categories of eligibility. All recordings must be commercially released in the U.S. either through traditional distribution channels or recognized online retail settings. Below are four different methods of applying for Voting membership.
    Recordings Released Online Only:

• Recordings commercially released in the U.S. through recognized online music retailers.
    • Must have 12 qualifying physical or digital tracks or equivalent duration of content.*
    • One qualifying track must have been released within five years of receipt of application.
    • Releases must be currently available for purchase through recognized online music retailers.
    • Recordings must be accompanied by verifiable documentation, e.g. liner notes, Allmusic.com.
    Recordings Released Through Physical Distribution:

• Recordings commercially released in the U.S. through physical distribution outlets.
    • Must have six physical tracks or equivalent duration of content.*
    • One qualifying track must have been released within five years of receipt of application.
    • Qualifying tracks must be currently available for sale through physical music retailers.
    • Recordings must be accompanied by verifiable documentation, e.g. liner notes, allmusic.com.
    GRAMMY Nomination:

• If you were nominated for a GRAMMY┬« Award within the previous five years.
    Endorsement By Recording Academy Voting Members

• Applicants who do not fully qualify in any of the above categories may request the necessary endorsement forms from Member Services. (Please call 310.392.3777 or email memservices@grammy.com.).
    • Applicants must be endorsed by two current, Voting Members of The Recording Academy.
    • Application will be reviewed by Member Services and may be sent to a local Chapter committee for additional review.
    Eligibility may be subject to career substantiation through the following documentation. The Academy recommends that applicants submit as much documentation as possible.

• Recordings available for streaming/download through recognized music aggregators
    • Documented sales/chart information
    • Established, active website/social media/online presence including:
      • Current or historical touring dates/performances
      • Fan base interaction
      • Current band/artist information
      • Music videos
      • Music/media player with current releases available
    • Active marketing and promotion efforts
    • Print material
    • Press releases/EPK
    • Reviews of performances by print or online magazines
    • Press interviews
    * Excluding intros, outros and interludes
    The Recording Academy approves membership at its sole discretion based on the assessment of the material submitted.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It's just one more data point. Watch it or skip it, either way, to me at least, it's nothing to care too much about, much less to work yourself into a lather over.

5. JeffK

JeffK Member

I can imagine that the Grammys *might* seem cool if you're a big name in the industry. Maybe.

All-in-all, I think it's mostly tied to #6 in the OP (not to take anything away from any nominee or winner; some of them do have artistic merit despite the Grammy nod).

6. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

Best part was it was behind the times for years catering to the non rock crowd(rat Pack?) then boom it went for teen pop. Which leaves many rock fans believing it has no credibility. Might have less respect then the RnR hall of fame.

7. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

people giving other people awards whilst making Kanye West very angry.

I stopped paying attention to the Grammies when Jethro Tull beat Metallica for the best heavy metal act.

:facepalm

8. alw

alw Member

9. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

It's Hollywood, always some favoritism, plus sprinkle in some drama: John Mayer plays Pink Jackson guitar with Ed Sheeran, who plays replica guitar of an original John Latos (EC Crashocaster) design :)

Show musical director chooses what artist plays with who, what song, etc. He gets a lot of praise, recently got spot on Hollywood walk of fame, but I think he misses more often than he hits a homer run. EDIT: Example, Mayer and Sheeran sitting on stools with acoustics would have been better suited for the main artist on that song, Sheeran, Mayer could put layers over it vocally and guitar wise.

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

The Grammys for the most part celebrates popular music and spoken word recordings in all musical genres. If you don't like music that is popular, then you won't like The Grammys. When (if) your favorite cool unknown under the radar artist ever records something that sells a lot and gets a Grammy nomination then it will be okay to hate them, too.:cool:

11. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

You and me both.

12. taez555

taez555 Member

There are over 100 Grammy awards, with at least 5 nominated in every category. Figure each album is 60 minutes, that means in order to listen to all of the nominated albums it would take each person voting over 20 straight days of listening to hear every single album.

Grammy voters work in the industry (and highly unlikely in the same genre as they're voting for) and tend to vote more based on the people they know and respect rather than the music, since most of them have probably never heard the recording.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just the reality of most of those who win.

13. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

A guy on a radio station in Chicago (am here this week) said this afternoon if Aerosmith had won album of the year and Kanye would have come up to protest Joe Perry would have punched his lights out on stage live. Probably true....

Al

14. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Matos. Remember it is a show, not a ceremony.

15. badhorsie551

badhorsie551 Member

It's the industry patting themselves on the back.

16. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

It looks like voting members get a total of 24 votes. Still a daunting task though...

17. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

They scored a lot points with me when Esperanza Spaulding won Best New Artist over the Biebs. (And the Biebs scored a little with me for his reaction and interaction with Esperanza.)

18. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

It was Hard Rock/Heavy Metal which applies to both acts.That Tull album was full of Hard Rock guitar and a dam good album. We can argue the merits of each band put its not like Jackson Brown beat Metallica.
    So this is not as clueless a choice as some make it out to be, more a matter of fan v fan

19. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

I love Tull but Metallica deserved that award plain and simple. I saw both tours multiple times and that's what I think. Tull was a safe choice. The backlash in the press was undeniable.