I know it's early, but this is my pick for Album Of The Year:

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by erksin, Feb 18, 2012.

1. erksin

erksin Member

Chuck Prophet's 'Temple Beautiful'

The guitars on this record are absolutely incredible IMO. Chuck's best writing ever, and such a great feel to the whole album.

Cool 'tour' of the inspiration for the record by Chuck:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

It's a very good album, and it's crazy how hardly anyone knows about Chuck. "No Other Love" is about a perfect album as well. I love Chuck!

3. Lo Blues

Lo Blues Member

Wow that's great stuff. Love the production/recording too.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Unbelievable show last night. Two solid hours of non-stop rock. They played to maybe 200 people tops on a stage the size of a postage stamp and almost leveled the building.

I do believe Chuck's $200 Squire is one of the best sounding Teles I've ever heard. Holy crap can he play guitar - imagine Mike Campbell and Roy Buchannan had a kid. Ridiculous player.

5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I am one that did not know about Chuck Prophet. Just checked out these & some other clips. Great stuff: fresh, funky, extremely well played, sung, arranged & recorded.
    Flat out fun too.
    Thanks!

6. Blue Tile Fever

Blue Tile Fever Member

I thought for sure this was gonna be ADKOT

7. BrianK

BrianK Supporting Member

Saw him in 1985 or so with Green on Red, had a lasting impact on me to this day. I agree he is right up there with Mike Campbell and Roy Buchannon. He knows how to use a tele, that's for sure!

8. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I had no idea he was with Green on Red; I’ll play closer attention. -E

9. erksin

erksin Member

It's just refreshing to see somebody whose been around as long as he has still bring it and better than ever too. It's obvious that he's been doing this his whole life and it still means everything to him. Great energy, totally engaged with the crowd, worked the place like a revival meeting.

During one of the quieter songs, he hushed everybody and they played a 'tribute' to Whitney Houston. It was loltastic.

He just does rock like it was meant to be - no pretense, just fricking mean it and bring it hard. A rock show is supposed to be fun and sweaty and afterwards you walk away feeling like you'd been part of something special for a little awhile and that's exactly what last night was.

10. Zelja

Zelja Member

Thanks for posting this. Had a listen & love the songs and the guitar playing & tones, especially on "Who Shot John?". I'll be picking this up.

11. erksin

erksin Member

His records have been pretty eclectic from my experience, you either dig that about him or you don't. This one has the greatest 'continuity' from beginning to end of any thing he's done that I've heard. I've only recently gotten into his music, but can also recommend !Let Freedom Ring! and Soap And Water - both of these are also fantastic records IMO.

This duet with Alejandro Escovedo is great too - I need to pick up this record!

12. Zelja

Zelja Member

^^^^
    I've known of him since the Green On Red days but have only sporadically caught up with his stuff, which I obviously need to rectify.

Love the tune & performance with Alejandro. Listening to some of the earlier stuff in the thread I was reminded a bit of Escovedo i some parts so it makes sense that they did something together.

13. erksin

erksin Member

I've been working my way backwards, sorta...

Started with Let Freedom Ring last year, then bought Temple Beautiful when it came out, and now I've got Soap And Water and Age Of Miracles after seeing him last Friday. I figure at this pace I'll be all the way back to the Green On Red stuff by the end of the week.

:roll

14. Hovercraftpilot

Hovercraftpilot Member

I like what I hear! Thanks!

I was expecting the same old same old…

15. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

Thanks so much for posting this. Why have I never heard of him?? Great stuff. I hear some Beatles, Lou Reed, Jonathan Richmond, Alejandro Escovedo all mixed in there.

16. chervokas

chervokas Member

Thanks for posting. Temple Beautiful is a record I'll have to catch up with. That said, I know it's not due for release 'til next week but I've been driving around listening to Springsteen's new one and it's gonna be a monster record this year.

17. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah there is a definite Lou Reed influence - I also hear a lot of Tom Petty, Joe Strummer, and early Bowie in there too. He's an eclectic dude for sure and I love him for it!

18. erksin

erksin Member

Live Chuck for the uninitiated:

19. Defendant

Defendant Member

I dig it! Thanx for the heads up.