I know The Big Bang Theory is just a TV show....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ShadowCanAm, May 17, 2019.

1. Stike

Stike Member

Or this.

mrMix and A-Bone like this.
  2. Phila67

Phila67 Member

So is 2019 the end of nerd culture with the end of Big Bang Theory, Marvel Avengers, Game of Thrones, and Star Wars at years end. Is this truly the end?

pickaguitar likes this.
  3. grill

grill Member

i changed my mind about the show, it's quite funny.

:):(

4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

5. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

This show consistently made me laugh out loud. I haven't seen the last few seasons, but a great show nonetheless.

6. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

When the misfits become mainstream, it usually signals a change is coming...

7. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Some things on the show made me laugh out loud. Simon was very good with imitations. They really cracked me up. I did get somewhat irritated with Sheldon with his constant self-absorption. It seemed to be a bit over the top at times.

I understand the point of how his friends stuck with him. That one truth seemed to hang on in the show for a number of years: You have a friend, and you stay loyal to the friend - even when they act like Sheldon. That aspect was very refreshing.

When Leonard, and then Sheldon, got married, you could see the horizon in sight. The show wasn't the same. The chemistry shifted. Another season would have been bad. Interestingly, Howard's wedding did not have the same impact on the show.

The first 30 minutes of the last episode was pretty much disposable to me. It almost seemed like they filmed an extra episode simply for the sake of the cast.
    I did like how Sheldon finally seemed to "get it". And the theme and ending of "Young Sheldon" was equally cool. I'll admit, it was hard not to be a bit emotional when you paused to consider how the others in the group were when they were growing up. Very poignant way to end it.

8. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

Like with most long running shows, I thought the writing was incredibly clever early, for the first few years, then got pretty rote, but by then the characters were so well established that there were still plenty of funny episodes. I was an early adopter - I had a really smart nerdy teenage daughter and she and I used to laugh hysterically at some of those early shows. I guess she was nearly 20 when it started because she's a 31 year old physician now. My wife took a long time to warm up to it, but she came to love it too. My other daughter never got all that into it.

I thought all of the characters had their moments. Sheldon was the obvious center of the absurdity with his high level Asburgers kind of the central point that almost everything was written around. Leaonard was just a straight man, but a really effective one. Penny was essentially the hooker with a heart of gold, although not a hooker, but it was kind of the same character - kept everyone else grounded, played off of all the eccentricities by just being relentlessly normal and pretty hot - crazy hot in those guy's world. Howard and Raj were perfect side-characters. Howard did some overwhelmingly hilarious impressions - he did a great Indian phone support guy, and the episode where he was doing Pacino and Walken was incredible. The first meeting between Sheldon and Amy was one of the funniest short scenes in television history, but only if you already knew the characters - you couldn't come to it cold. I didn't think Bernadette or Raj's various girlfriends were quite as good, but they had their moments - Bernadette morphing into Mrs. Wolowitz was pretty hilarious. And Stuart and Kripke had some really funny moments - Kripke's inability to communicate with Siri was one of the funniest insensitive plot lines making fun of a speech defect I've ever seen.

It was no Seinfeld, but NOTHING was another Seinfeld (with the possible exception of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which is kind of the same show), but I think it was solidly next tier, with Friends and some of the shows from my youth, like Leave it to Beaver, Andy Griffith, Gomer, McHale's Navy, etc.

BTW, I'm still amazed with Leave it to Beaver being able to get away with pulling off the dirtiest line in the history of television way back in the early 60's - may have even been late 50s. "Ward, don't you think you were a little rough on the Beaver last night"? Brilliantly subversive stuff!

9. Stike

Stike Member

Someone watched Revenge Of The Nerds recently.

10. Ramboorider

Ramboorider Member

Actually never saw it. Is that last joke lifted from that? I don't remember where I heard it but maybe whoever I got it from heard it there?

11. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

REALLY hoping and a wishin! (minus star wars)

12. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

Has anyone asked the REAL question?

Bernadette, or Penny?

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Much prefer Silicon Valley, like Big Bang, only funny.

14. ixnay

ixnay Member

It came up in post #78

Travst likes this.
  15. Jose Eduardo

Jose Eduardo Member

I enjoyed watching the first few years with my son. When both lost interest in it like 4 years ago.

16. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

Ah well. I've been out and can't keep up. But it's a pretty obvious question.

17. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Choosing between the characters of the actresses who play them?

18. andrekp

andrekp Member

It was amusing enough, but it was yet another example of how dumb people think smart people think. (Scorpion being the all time champ example.) None of the "smart" people on the show had any actual smartness at all, despite appearances, just lots of mumbo-jumbo.

It wasn't quite as unscientific as SciFi and action movies/TV have become - where the basic laws of physics don't come close to applying - but it was close.

I just wish Hollywood had writers that actually knew SOMETHING more than how to write a script.

19. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Bernadette or Penny is our modern versions of Ginger or MaryAnn.
    BTW-CBS is replaying the entire series from the beginning, starting the week after the show ended. So set your VCR's and get ready to binge...
    BTW-BTW-Penny didn't show enough skin and Bernadette showed virtually none. The should have sexed it up just a little to keep us guys interested.
    No need to do that with Mayim Bialik...:anon

20. Beau Schwabe

Beau Schwabe Member

Anyone ever look at the intro video to the show frame by frame to see all of the "stuff" they packed in there? It is quite interesting, and yes I guess if that exercise amused me, then I might be a nerd.

BTW) For the record, I'm more of a Penny kind of guy.