I learn something new every day...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gas Hed, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

I feel like such a fool sometimes. Tonight I learned that something as simple as tilting my cabinet made my tone brighter (something I've been chasing). Crazy how cabinet placement and where you sit/stand while you are playing impacts sound so much.

2. Bossanova

Bossanova Member

Greatest mod ever to my VibroLux was a $30 amp stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yep, I went through all sorts of approaches to getting my tone right.

Tilted, or even lifted (on a chair), amps seems a bit bright, harsh and beamy (directional).

On the ground, they are too muffled and bassy.

Companies have made stuff like the Auralex Gramma, but I just always put my amp on top of my Pedaltrain hard case. My amp sounds more similar from venue to venue, whether I'm in front of my amp or off to the side, and I don't have to 'beam' myself in the head with treble by tilting my amp up.

4. NielsM

NielsM Member

You just schooled me on that one. Thanks for the tip!

I knew cabinet placement matters, but didn't know tilting had any effect on the amps sound.
    Or is it that is 'sounds' brighter, and not that it actually is?

5. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

It sounds brighter cuz it's pointed at your head now, or at least closer to it. Guitar speakers tend to be very directional and they are loudest and brightest straight out from the cone.

6. NielsM

NielsM Member

That's what I thought. But letting it sit on the floor, could it be that the ground 'absorb' tone and that putting it on a stand doesn't because of it more floating in the air?
    Maybe it's a dumb question but I'm very curious about how frequenties respond.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Placement (in relation to your listening position) and maybe putting a gramma pad under amp can take your tone to another level. When you tilted amp you decoupled front feet from room. Every room is different, concrete floor vs wood rafters, ect.

Positioning, and acoustic coupling is the name of the game.

8. Gas Hed

Gas Hed Member

Gramma pad? Is that like an old maxi?

Seriously though - what is it?

9. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

I use tilt stands for all of my amps. I love what it does for the sound. Plus, it brings the added benefit of having the controls being easier to reach!

10. pepi

pepi Member

Did you talk to Leo's ghost ;)

11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I learned Roy Buchanan put his Vibrolux on chair, facing backwards, and dimed it. Now I sound just like him.

12. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

one question about amp tilting... what about if you dont own a combo and its a head and cab is there something cradle them both?

13. spence

spence Member

I've been tilting my amps since 1976. My ankles don't have ears. I can't believe more people don't do this. It can be dependent on how far you stand from your amp. If you can get far enough out from your amp, then you may be able to hear it more clearly, and you may (or may not) have some of your signal in your floor monitor. Big stages give you the opportunity to do this. If you're on a small tight stage, then tilting it is the way to go for me. My picking hand does a lot of dynamic things (mutes, pinch harmonics etc.), and I need to hear those dynamics clearly, especially with the low end rumble of the bass guitar going on around you.

LaoTzu,
    I use heads and cabs. If you're careful, you can still tilt them to some degree. Use common sense! I have a piece of 2x4 under the front edge of my cab. It works great, and if you can get at least 5 feet out, you should be able to hear it just fine. Also, it doesn't hurt to use a Marshall style slant cab to give additional aid.

14. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Fender thought of that.

15. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

is there any products on the market that we could trust to use that can beare the load of both a heavy amp and cab

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Something you can forget about and the easiest mod ever! its totally true. I can't tilt my marshall half stack but I do have it elevated on an old coffee table in the practice room.. I suppose i could start bringing it to gigs :crazy

17. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

Tilting the cab towards your head does brighten tone alot, but it's also deceptively bright if you're too close to it... honestly the best judge of how you actually sound is the audience

18. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Carvin has been building amp stands for years. $35.00
    I just didn't like the fact you couldn't lower it enough so I built my own in the welding shop.

Knocked out a bunch for the other guys. The more I built the better they got.

No big secret really. Check out Springsteens Marshall cabs. They are almost flat on their backs.

19. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

That's true but they don't all hear the same thing. Those that are closest to the z-axis of your speaker will hear a brighter tone usually. This is why some folks use plexi-shield or turn their amp around and point it at the wall. Tilting does also help with this because now that bright spot is pointed at the ceiling.

20. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

If you mic a guitar amp cabinet, you will find out that where the mic is placed will affect the sound coming through the mic. Similarly, if you put your head/ears in different locations while playing your guitar through your amp, you will find that the guitar sounds will change quite dramatically. Directly in front of the guitar amp cabinet, on axis with the speaker, will be the location where the sound is the brightest.