I let the oil change place snooker me again, lol

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

You couldn't pay me $50 to do another cabin filter change on Mrs. Lee's BMW X1. You have to remove a lot of stuff to get to it, none of it near the glovebox.

2. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Closed circulation/AC filter. Yes, It exists. When someone pulls one out and shows it to you saying you need a replacement, ask them "please show me where this came from?". You'll either get educated or you'll get a discount.

3. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Member

I came expecting an oil change. Like my guitars, I go electric these days so no oil change. The air filter, yeah, that needs changing occasionally.

4. Madguitrst

Madguitrst Member

third stone from the sun, one step from the edge
    At any Jiffy Lube, for example, you can buy your own filter, have them put it in, and they will reimburse you the price you paid (try it). That way, you can get the best filter(s) for the lowest price. You can also request your old one back, if you don't mind disposing of it, or to just look at it and give it to them to dispose of (they charge for disposal of everything, even if it's only a buck, anyway). No matter what, it's good to know what your filters are and what they look like.

Also, always have coupons ready, and, if you are going to have more than one service done, ask for an additional discount. Be ready to say no thanks to the additional service and see what they will offer after that. Again, don't hesitate to ask for anything.

For both of our cars, we have to use synthetic oil and that crap isn't cheap. It's not really worth it to do it myself anymore, as it would cost me almost as much to do it myself as it would to have it done ... with discounts (I don't even know where my oil drain pan is anymore).

One last thing: Dave Shoop, you really should not go way over the mileage for oil changes, but I'm sure you know that. Oil (and water) is the lifeblood of your vehicles, and changing the oil at proper intervals in a relatively inexpensive way to keep them healthy.

dank and time2kill like this.
  5. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

Next time put one of those very realistic looking imitation rattlesnakes in your
    glovebox.

ripple, Baxtercat, Cactus Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. scottlr

scottlr Member

Jiffy Lube is the biggest rip off oil change place out there. I NEVER go there. I've also never had anyone ask to replace my cabin filter, so I never knew there was such a thing. Like Peteyvee, I go to a locally owned shop that's been here at least the 40 years I have.

Peteyvee and fretless like this.
  7. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Let me tell you what happened to my Nissan Quest van-

same as you I had no idea of a cabin filter.

So my AC quit working in the middle of last summer, and luckily a mechanic friend offered
    to fix the AC and a few other things over a long weekend (while he wasnt on his regular job).

I had been quoted $1500 for a whole new system, but he narrowed it down to a blower
    motor in the front.

So he put in a new AC motor and it still didnt work, which completely baffled him.

It turned out a completely clogged cabin filter was blocking the AC motor's air flow, and in fact
    that is what destroyed the original motor, it was simply working so hard to get input air that it
    burned it out.

So a $10 filter ended up costing me several hundred dollars, and it could have been $1500 plus
    tax had my friend not saved me money on repairs.

ckfoxtrot, Madguitrst, Rick51 and 5 others like this.
  8. Old Possum

Old Possum Member

For the AC, look for it on YouTube...it gets really gross.

84superchamp likes this.
  9. mango

mango Member

My Ranger doesn't have a cabin filter,our Nissan does but the AC hasn't worked since we bought it so I haven't bothered with it..

10. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

I’d tip the guy. They make crappy money and they don’t get anything extra for trying to help you out. The boss tells them to sell you the cabin filter and his boss will ask him why isn’t the little guy selling cabin filters.

With that said....

I change my oil and filters.

Dave Shoop likes this.
  11. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

It’s a thing.

EarleG, fretless and time2kill like this.
  12. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Did your ‘73 Mach 1 have airbags? Would you be fine if your Acura didn’t have them? :rolleyes:

Sounds like whomever quoted you $1500 didn’t look at your car. There’s “my AC went out (no cold air through the vents)” and “my AC doesn’t blow at all (nothing is coming through the vents)”. Two wildly different things- the former probably would’ve cost you that much for a flush, new compressor, and a few other components. The latter is much a easier fix, as you found out. :)

Madguitrst and fretless like this.
  13. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

In all these years I have never been asked about a cabin filter. Didn't even know there was such a thing. Now I will, of course, have to have it changed. Thanks a lot TGP.

Baxtercat and coltonius like this.
  14. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I have always changed my cabin filters about once a year. And they have almost always been filthy. Can't imagine what you'd be breathing in an old car that had never had it changed, at least in a place where you often drive with the windows closed and heat or a/c on.

ckfoxtrot and coltonius like this.
  15. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Maybe because I usually had older cars. My 2nd car a 2001 Sienna doesn't have one. There will probably soon be a lawyer doing a commercial informing us about a class action suit and millions of dollars available to those who bought cars without the filter. Operators on line now to take your call.

coltonius likes this.
  16. NewLeaf09

NewLeaf09 Member

The last time a Jiffy Lube type place charged my wife $70 for an oil change I started changing the oil. I can do it in 15-20 minutes with full synthetic for less than half what the convenience oil places charge. The Farm and Fleet ramps I use cost about one oil change. I do my bikes, the lawn tractor, the snow blower, the weed whacker - it's pretty simple.

Last time I went to one of those places they did the cabin air filter thing with me - wanted some ridiculous amount - like $80 - for a filter for a Honda Accord. I told them to just blow it out with compressed air and the guy said he wasn't allowed to do that but I could. I blew it out and they reinstalled it. Haven't noticed any degradation in air quality in my cabin since.

Laurence likes this.
  17. Boston617

Boston617 Member

Good idea to replace the cabin filter and engine air filter once a year. Maybe every six months if you live in a heavily wooded area or park under a tree where little specks of everything find their way under your hood.

And get a quality one. Wix/NAPA Gold are the best non-performance aftermarket ones by a long shot. Stay away from Fram, Purolator & ProTec.

ckfoxtrot, coltonius and fretless like this.
  18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

This

crankyrayhanky likes this.
  19. Rick51

Rick51 Member

It's an expensive luxury car, but who needs heat or AC anyway? If you have a cabin air filter and do not replace it from time to time, it eventually gets so dirty it blocks your air flow.

coltonius likes this.
  20. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I think they usually charge about twice what the actual filter costs. With most cars, it takes about 2 minutes to replace the filter yourself. No tools required.