1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

I like making weird sounds. What pedal should go on my board next?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleguido, May 18, 2011.

1. teleguido

teleguido Member

Here's my board right now:

[​IMG]

Signal chains is as follows:

Dunlop Octavio -> Fulltone '69 clone -> Korg Pitchblack -> Dano Chicken Salad -> MXR Carbon Copy -> EHX Deluxe Memory Boy -> Cusack Tap-A-Whirl -> Boss GE-7

The wah has been modded and is now an expression pedal connected to the Deluxe Memory Boy. The pedal at the top left is a footswitch for my AC30.

Despite the fuzz, octavio, and vibe, I rarely play anything resembling Jimi. This board allows me to get some pretty wild sounds, and combined with some careful volume and tone knob tweaking on my guitar I can already cover a lot of sonic ground. That being said, I'm always looking for something new to inspire me!

What would be a solid addition to this board for making weird-but-useful noises and textures? So far I've been contemplating a Micro POG, feedback looper, or EHX Freeze. What wild and crazy pedals should I be considering? I'm totally open to more fuzz, as long at it isn't redundant. Any ideas?

2. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

The Line 6 M5 is small and cheap with all the sounds you can get in an M9 or M13, which are pretty good and there's plenty of weird and fun stuff. Moog pedals are awesome. The POG and HOG can do some cool stuff that is different but useable too.

3. zezozozezadfrick

zezozozezadfrick Member

I think ring modulators are really great for making weird noises.

4. JPF

JPF Member

Zvex Fuzz Factory. It's a seriously twisted, demented pedal in the right hands...

5. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Member

6. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

A bit crusher perhaps?

7. teleguido

teleguido Member

Not much into multi-effects, so the M5 might be out... but a Line 6 DL4 could be fun...

I don't understand ring mods. Can someone show me a demo that actually has some inspiring sounds in it?

Goatkeeper is out, as I decided on the Tap-A-Whirl for my tremolo needs.

Fuzz Factory could be interesting... But can it be easily tamed for live use?

Bit crushers are intriguing to me... recommend one?

8. AkoyPinoy

AkoyPinoy Member

9. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

The Fuzz Factory can be somewhat tamed. The M5 is very simple, more of a stompbox modeler. You choose a stompbox type and then there are six knobs that correspond to it. It has all the best of the Line 6 modeling software. It actually HAS the delays of the DL4, the mods of the MM4, etc. It's a complilation of all the best Line 6 stuff plus some extra stuff and it's not a complicated multi effect unit. It just has all the software they already invented all in one, so it's a much better deal and it's all right there. That's why they're so popular. I don't even own one, Im more into analog stuff (I actually have a Cusack TAW myself, and btw, I like the general sound better than the Goatkeeper, although I'd love to have both for fun) but I've used all those older style Line 6 modelers like the DL4 and MM4 and they're actually pretty awesome. I'm thinking about picking up an M5 just for fun and experimentation. It's basically the new, smaller, better priced, consolidated version of all the separate stombox modelers they made previously.

10. JPF

JPF Member

Not really, in my experience - you have to be very hands-on to control the mayhem it wreaks.

11. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

check out devi ever, dwarfcraft devices, audible disease and such...

have you looked into feedback loops?

www.youtube.com/welovethecommonmen for examples... search around...

12. p.j.

p.j. Member

Line 6 Filter Modeler has more weird sounds per pound than anything else out there. I have weighed it so I should know! Purple Power!!

PJ

13. 73171

73171 Member

14. mrclean77

mrclean77 Member

Ab-Synth

It and my BSR are very nice but the weirder settings are almost keeping me from playing anything remotely musical, lol

15. Triangle

Triangle Member

I'd get a new wah. Using a wah in a single position can open up tons of new sounds.
    Example: wah 75% forward>ocatavio>memory boy. mess with the knobs on the memory boy while you play. Push the repeats all the way up until it envelopes itself, then mess with the delay time. I use wah>ts9>dl4 for lots of cool sounds. Push the envelope of what you have. Experiment.

16. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

digitech - whammy pedal?

moog - moogerfooker

17. Lance Romance

Lance Romance Member

The Line 6 M5 is not a muli-effects unit. It is a stompbox modeler. A blank slate, until you choose what stompbox you want it to be.

18. jayjacque

jayjacque Member

perhaps a talkbox if you don't mind slobbering.

19. GarMan

GarMan Supporting Member

You might want to look into a DOD FX-33 Buzz Box. Nothing weirder than that.

20. fritferret

fritferret Member

i've heard some pretty weird stuff from the way huge worm. i think that's out now.