• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I Like Modelers But...

Wesman61

It seems that with modelers I spend so much time tweaking the sound to get something I like. With a decent channel switching tube amp it just seems easy to twist a knob or two and Boom! Great tone for hours. With modelers I bring up an amp model and there is always some characteristic I don't like that's hard to dial out. Currently I have a THR10 and Scuffham S-Gear. I just don't get along with the drive tones in the THR10 and the Scuffham can keep me busy trying to get it bright enough and then I go through one IR after another trying to find something that is to my liking. S-Gear is by far the best, most satisfying digital amp modeling I've tried. I've had quite a few tube amps over the years and it's usually easy to dial in a tone I like as long as it's one the amp was designed to produce.

Also, there seems to be harsh sounds I get with every modeler I've had. Usually on the 1st-3rd strings. I'm always tempted by the versatility of digital but I eventually give up on them. I should also mention that most of my problems are with amp models. Not usually the stomp effects within modelers.

Wesman61

Stay away from modelers, keep using real amps/
LOL Problem solved. Now the other problem is that I play rock, Metal and blues. All of which the wife dislikes. I've tried using my Peavey VKII into my computer but it sounds horrible. Nothing like it sounds through it's own cab.

nicolasrivera

Platinum Supporting Member
You could use a Fractal FX8 unit in a 4CM way and have amazing fxs with your real amps, no kidding, Fractal's FXs are the best ones you will find in any digital board out there.

I think the trick is to simply "not over Tweek" a modeler isn't going to give you the same sort of sound that you will get if you plug an amp in, it simply can't and if you chase that tone you will never get there. The modeler is giving you a snapshot of a recorded tone, so amp, cab and microphone and imo to really gel, you simply have to find a sound you like - keep it a while and play till your ears get to used to hearing a mic'd up tone - not the air from an amp.

Playing over backing tracks of some description helps as what you then hear is a mix.

The beauty of a modeler is that once you have your tone, it's portable and reliable in ways that amps aren't and for home practice where family / neighbors etc have to be considered it's a god send. I can only play through headphones so I love Helix and S-gear.

for what it's worth I found best results are always to have 2 cabs, phase inverted and panned hard Left and Hard right, one with a ribbon mic emulation and one with a dynamic mic emulation.

Also don't be afraid to put pedals in front of sgear. I used to use a soul food before the stealer and it was awesome.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
I own an Axe and a Kemper and use both regularly.

If you want equally-comparable-best-you-can-get-digital-real Amp tones and dont want to tweak [hardly at all]...

-> buy a Kemper
-> buy the MBritt profiles of your choice
-> decide if you want to go FRFR or "amp in the room" / "old school tube amp vibe"
-> if its FRFR, get a CLR Neo or DXR12 and leave the Kempers " Cab " button ON
-> if its "amp in the room" / "old school tube amp vibe" use you guitar amp of choice, plug the Kemper output in to your Amps FX Rtn Jack [assuming it has one] .... turn OFF the Kempers " Cab " button
-> done

You can thank me later :)

Ben

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
I own an Axe and a Kemper and use both regularly.

If you want equally-comparable-best-you-can-get-digital-real Amp tones and dont want to tweak [hardly at all]...

-> buy a Kemper
-> buy the MBritt profiles of your choice
-> decide if you want to go FRFR or "amp in the room" / "old school tube amp vibe"
-> if its FRFR, get a CLR Neo or DXR12 and leave the Kempers " Cab " button ON
-> if its "amp in the room" / "old school tube amp vibe" use you guitar amp of choice, plug the Kemper output in to your Amps FX Rtn Jack [assuming it has one] .... turn OFF the Kempers " Cab " button
-> done

You can thank me later :)

Ben
Replace MBritt with Guido and you would be spot on :D I bought his JTM and 6534 packs over the holiday weekend and my God :eek:

mattball826

Very much True, but lately I've been dabbling in cheap SS modeling combos that sound very good for what they are. SS modeling amps are now very giggable where as before it was kind of meh.

veritechc

With modern modelers you can go as deep as you want. When I had a Axe Fx you could drop in a amp and cab and play. Just that sounds great. You could also drop in a few effects and play. Sounds even better.

With my Helix the on unit interface and routing options make that even easier. Drop in a Amp+Cab block and play. Throw in a few effects and play. No problem.

With modelers you can dive in really deep if you EVER want to. But remember this. It's the exact same with analog gear. If you set up a real amp and cab you are still "tweeking" the knobs right?if you want to add a effect you have to buy that pedal, hook it up and then turn some knobs. The difference is you are used to the interface with analog equipment but you weren't always right? You had to learn. And with each change of amp or effect you had to learn what those knobs did. Same with a modern modeler. The difference is you have a ton of amps and effects to learn.

On the Helix of you are used to a analog pedal it works the same on the Helix. There are very few extra settings. That was one thing I didn't like about the Fractal interface there was a bewildering amount of extra parameters to learn. You really don't need all those as with both systems you can get 90% to where you want to be. But if you are chasing that extra 10% then I found it much easier with the outstanding Helix interface.

So if you can get your head around that a modeler is no different then what you already learned with your analog equipment you will do fine. If you can't, won't or just plain don't want to learn the interface then stick with your analog gear. But there is a obvious third choice that I have lately been exploring with the Helix. Combine the analog and digital and find something new in both. I think of music as ever changing. As musicians we need to change with it or get left behind.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Do you need headphone silence or just bedroom volume?

If it's the latter, you'd be a good candidate for a modeling combo amp. They have a lot fewer options and are easier to dial in.

If the Yamaha didn't do it for you, maybe try the new Boss amp or Blackstar. I liked the Yamaha a lot but for heavier stuff the X version may also be worth a shot.

For headphones it depends on your budget. I'd start with Bias FX as it sounded pretty decent and was very easy to use.

clintmartin

With Modelers the possibilities are endless, and so the tweaking can be endless. It's one of the things I really like about it.
I also have a few presets that are ready to go when all I want to do is play.

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
That was one thing I didn't like about the Fractal interface there was a bewildering amount of extra parameters to learn.
That's my one gripe with Fractal (and even to some extent the Atomic AmpliFire), way more parameters than needed on an effect. Make it like a pedal, keep the parameters simple and effective.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom