I like my Helix so much, I ordered a Kemper

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Michael_V, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Because if modeling has gotten this good, I want to see what else is out there.

Youtube comparison videos are just not doing it for me.

Briefly tempted to give the AX8 a go as well, but the lack of a headphone jack and the (kind of) primitive interface turned me off.

Anyone else tried multiples of the big three?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  2. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

I can see myself doing the same.

Michael_V likes this.
  3. ElectricPhase

ElectricPhase Member

You're going about it the right way. Get one of each, and keep the one that makes your bunny jump.

In_the_Weeds, scotth, xcc and 3 others like this.
  4. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

I was kinda thinking about doing that, maybe selling my tube amp and getting a kemper to go with my Helix

otter5555, MIJLOVER and Michael_V like this.
  5. Michael_V

That is a possibility, as well. Apparently, Pete Thorn uses such a setup (though I am no Pete Thorn). Hard to beat the Helix for effects, flexible routing, and ease of use live. I mean, snapshots are absolutely brilliant. And you have an amp back-up built right into your pedalboard.

I might go with the LT if I went that way. FX8 is also interesting for this, except for the bloody interface...

BTW, I sold a very nice Strat and about 15 pedals, including my beloved Tornita (sniff) and Hudson Broadcast, in order to embark on this journey. If I settle on a digital solution, I have at least one tube amp that will go too...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    MIJLOVER and weshunter like this.
  6. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

Had the helix rack and the IIXL+. Still have the helix. Don’t need the extra models in the axe, and I like the scribble strips and how easy it is to dial in, and it sounds better with my guitars.

Michael_V likes this.
  7. Michael_V

Any opinion on the quality of effects between the Fractal and Line 6?

8. JMMP1

JMMP1 Member

Fractal effects are second to none. I’m considering picking up an FX-8 because I do prefer my tube amps right now. The Helix is for convenience and a lightweight rig for my regular “gig”. That said, I have no problem with the quality of the helix’s effects, and even the reverbs don’t leave me wanting. The one area I’d like to see helix catch up to fractal is the synth block. Not practical for anything I use live, but fun as all get out!

My biggest “problem” with the fractal modeling was all of the bass I experienced. I couldn’t dial it out using the bass control, whereas I find the helix to not start off overly bassy (but it does need dialing in to sound good).

I’d like to try a Kemper.

MIJLOVER, JiveTurkey and Michael_V like this.
  9. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I have a KPA, Helix, and A3.

Michael_V likes this.
  10. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

I'd probably put it this way - if your goal is to have studio sounding effects especially verbs/delay then get the Fractal. If you prefer more guitar pedal oriented effects then get the Helix.

That's just my $.02 over-simplification. They are both really good and I prefer certain effects in each platform.

C-4, Jarick, MIJLOVER and 1 other person like this.
  11. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

I went a slightly different route this week. I've liked my Helix into FOH and a FRFR wedge so much that I ordered an AmpliFirebox to give my dormant Kingsley pedals a second career.

Michael_V likes this.
  12. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I own an Axe FX, Kemper and have used Helix Native. The Kemper sounds astoundingly good. It's used in the loop of the Axe FX; a fantastic and unbeatable combo.

ejecta, creative360 and Michael_V like this.
  13. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

I love my Kemper. But keep in mind, anyone can make a profile, good or bad, so the Kemper is only as good as the profile you're using. Lots of great ones are free from Kemper.

I did some gigs with a Helix, but ended up selling it.

Like I say I love my Kemper, but I would always want to have a tube amp around.

C-4 and TommyGuitar like this.
  14. Michael_V

So many options these days!

15. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

I hear you ! :)

Had and used the Big 3 quite a bit.

Sticking with the Kemper and Helix .... just sold my Axe XL on the forum here 2 days ago ... sonically / tonally / "feel-wise" the Helix, to me, is more amp like / "ampy-raw" than the Axe .... Fractals re-working of the XFormer Grind / Speaker Comp in recent FW's has made it just too "polished" for me .... this of course however is a personal preference ..... the Fractal gear is still amazing - the AX8 however is just to "neutered" CPU wise and way to limited in terms of what it can run and its I/O's - so if you are going to try a Fractal, definelty grab a used XL or XL+.

Laslty, yes the Fractal has more efx - and I find its delays to be amazing too ..... but I *much* prefer the drives in the Helix .... the Helix Timmy, Klon and T/Screamer, to my ears are ore "real" / "grindy" than their Fractal equivilents ....... Fractal doesnt even have a Klon :) :) :) ..... one thing that L6 is briliant on is that when you pull up a Timmy or Klon or TS8 or any other effect, you get the "real controls" like the real pedal .... with Fractal, you pull up the Timmy or TS8 [ no Klon :) ] and its the same "mass wall of pages of generic controls" ... not a big deal .... but it does start to feel very-much like "more knobs = more serious = more better" just for the sake of having "more knobs = more serious = more better" ....

With a Helix and Kemper, you have, imo, the best 2 of the big 3.

Ben

jjb, danel59 and Michael_V like this.
  16. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Out of the "big three," I've only had Fractal and Helix. Never tried the Kemper. I like to tweak more than it seems to allow.

17. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

I have not tired Fractal or Kemper. But have tried loads and loads of plugins and various iterations of the Atomic platform. There is no "big three". There's a "lots of really great amp modeling" Lots. Fractal and Helix differentiate themselves by being comprehensive hardware platforms, which nobody else is doing. But the idea that "really good amp modeling" is something you have to spend at least $999 to achieve these days is...not correct.

18. Michael_V

Fair enough. I’ve owned the Amplifire and Bias amps and have heard lots of good things about S-gear. Headrush owners seem to like that product too. Lots of good choices out there, but Kemper, Fractal, and Helix seem to dominate most discussions and probably the market, as well, and are really the only three I’m personally interested in right now (for a variety of reasons).

19. Michael_V

Tweaking is the one thing about the Helix that frightens me haha. A little too much potential to screw things up!

20. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I have (multiple times) - all are amazing, if you actually have access to tube amps please try and profile. It's ****ing amazing!

Michael_V likes this.