I like PHISH now!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Spellbound, Dec 5, 2019.

1. philamag87

philamag87 Member

Love Phish but Trey needs to go back to the Mesa Boogie or Deluxe Reverb. I don't think those Komets are for him. He could probably drop the Klon as well.

cutaway, ssmug and Spellbound like this.
  2. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

also, phish is right up there with the dead for me

also i cannot fathom the mind that likes the dead but hates phish or vice versa - they are like peanut butter and chocolate and complement each other so well

they are like the extremes of a genre that cant be defined

cutaway and Spellbound like this.
  3. FOTM704

FOTM704 Member

I love Phish too man

But strange thing to post in the pedal and strings sub-forum

Spellbound likes this.
  4. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

I was going to post this, but too slow! Its brilliant. "You ate my fractal!" Takes on new meaning with effects these days....
    Big GD fan. Big ABB fan. Big Phish fan.

5. tonedover

welcome to the dead community this year man! immerse yourself
    try phish again. if you allow yourself into the groove that band takes you on a ride!

ive listened to everything my whole life, but i always circle back to the dead and phish, each recurrence more and more immersive.

id say over the last 5 years, my listening time was like 50% GD / D&Co, , 25% Phish, 10% Tool, 15% everything else.

guitarslinger21 and Neptical like this.
  6. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched

the gamehenge stuff is pretty interesting, always liked Piper, though it's hardly a proper "song"

LaughinBones and tonedover like this.
  7. tonedover

during tonights thursday night game bears / cowboys game there were at least TWO commercial breaks where a Phish song was the “highlight then fade to commercial” song (chicago is a big phish town)

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Lmao. As a huge fan this still made me laugh.

LaughinBones likes this.
  9. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

The trick is to surrender to the flow!

A Live One is a great starting point. If you want studio, no better place to start than Junta, and keep moving forward. Oddly enough, Round Room has always been one of my favorite PHiSH studio efforts. Gamehendge (Trey's college thesis also titled The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday) contains many of his best compositions.

tonedover likes this.
  10. jamester

jamester Silver Supporting Member

I have a weird thing with Phish...got introduced to them in college in the 90's, first with Lawn Boy and then Picture Of Nectar. I loved both albums but especially Lawn Boy, it really blew my mind and instantly Trey was on my short list of favorite guitarists. For a year I obsessed over those two albums.

Then Rift came out...didn't like it. Long story short, they've done nothing for me ever since for some reason. Saw them in Camden about ten years ago on their farewell tour, went with a buddy who was really into them. It was ok, but nothing epic like I'd always heard about their concerts.

So they are special to me for that moment in time, and I still dig those two records very much. I don't know if they changed or me, but it was a brief love affair.

Ironically, I never liked the Dead in my youth because it just seemed like boring hippy music to me. Now many years later after playing some of their music and learning and getting into roots and bluegrass more, I have a whole new outlook on them and respect and taste for their music.

11. tonedover

Hoist was my first phish album , then a live one - between those two i was hooked and saw them - phan for life

first dead album was a collection called “long strange trip” from the early 90s , then a dicks picks
    loved them ever since

LaughinBones likes this.
  12. Neptical

Neptical Member

I stumbled on to Phish at Picture of Nectar to Rift.

The scene was thriving so hard back then! So many bands were on fire and so inspired. The mix of jazz,funk,reggae, and rock was everywhere.

moe.

13. LaughinBones

LaughinBones Member

The first song I heard was Golgi Apparatus, and that was all it took.

Esther, The Lizards, and Split Open And Melt quickly became favorites. My life was never the same.

I have a Dead band down here in TX, and we have a lot of fun sticking PHiSH teases in the jams just to make each other laugh. We're not what you would call a "traditional" Dead band.

Mngwa and dividedsky like this.
  14. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

oh man i wasn't going to comment in this thread, but, yeah that Harry Hood is just amazing. I was at that show, on the whole probably the best rock show I've ever seen. that jam.... ..... ...... . ... .... it's the best.

15. Scott S

Scott S Member

I got into Phish when they played here in Boise back in 1999. I knew a little about the band but that night was on another level from any other rock band I’d seen and kick started my heavy interest in the group.

It’s a famous show for the epic 28 minute AC/DC Bag which is highly recommended listening for world class group improvisation.

However, if you’re into full on rock star shredder Trey, it’s hard to top this version of Down With Disease.

16. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

17. mlongano

mlongano Supporting Member

I tried, but can’t take more than a few seconds of that “music”...sorry.

rollyfoster likes this.
  18. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

EAT THE FRACTAL, BOYS! IT’S M-Fing FRIDAY!

19. Scott Boyle

Scott Boyle Member

I saw the Grateful Dead 32 times in concert. Then I saw “The Dead” with with Warren Haynes when they toured, then Furthur 5 times, and Dead & Company.

Phish was what a lot of people went to after Jerry died and they loved it. I just could never wrap my head around them. I never really liked their music. I’ve never seen them live, but I’ve tried to listen and I haven’t gotten into them. Since the OP posted this, I’ll give it another shot on Sirius and see if something changes.

JRuss1525 likes this.
  20. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

the only real similarities between them were the touring culture and heavy improvisation/different set lists every night, which phish takes to the extreme.

I think a lot of people make the Phish/Dead connection and expect it to be about the music and are surprised when it really isn’t. The Dead came from blues/folk music and Phish is born from prog rock, atonal fugues, and, to a certain extent, broadway musicals. Their approach is similar but the end result is quite different.

Phish’s music has a lot more in common with Zappa than it does with the dead. There’s a very weird sense of humor to most of it. Like Zappa, the compositions and lyrics can get really weird but there’s some “normal” stuff mixed in here and there. Some of it takes a different part of the brain to process.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019